Author Topic: Reasonable headset for coms and powered USB hub reco's  (Read 972 times)

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
Reasonable headset for coms and powered USB hub reco's
« on: January 08, 2024, 01:46:03 AM »
I'm getting back into AH and realize that speaking rather than typing might be helpful in many situations. Not particularly used to speaking in a game and I fear my heavy western Nevada accent might be off-putting. Anyhow, was wondering what headset folks recommend for coms. Currently, I have mic that is about 18" long and I look like Gene Rayburn on Match Game 1974 using it. A headset is a must. I kid about "heavy western Nevada accent," btw as I'm pretty sure western Nevadans speak the most bland, generic form of English. It's the eastern Nevadans with the Sam Elliot drawl.
I'm also looking for a powered USB hub for getting enough power to my joystick. Is there a standard for those concerning powering a joystick or HOTAS setup? Will the USB ports on the MB suffice? This too, I am hoping will be cheap and eligible for Amazon Prime if I need one.

"I'm also looking for a powered USB hub for getting enough power to my joystick."........That is a sentence Sam Elliot would never utter, btw.

Thanks
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
Re: Reasonable headset for coms and powered USB hub reco's
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 03:09:27 AM »
Normally Pc USB hubs are enough to power a stick. Just go to device manager on your Pc and untick USBs "" Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

The Mad   CatMan!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 07:46:25 AM »
For usb hubs or headsets, just dont go cheap. The first few that pop up on Amazon are $15-$20 range but have a bunch of ports. I use one of these hubs Not the most expensive, it dose have 7 ports which I think is pushing it but I dont use them all. All 3 controllers, my earbuds charger and my watch charger are plugged in and there is never an issue for years at this point.

For my headset, I bought these. EPOS Sennheiser The first set lasted over 6 years and this set is almost 2 years old. Very comfortable, sound is very good, and the mic works well and can be muted by just flipping it up out of the way.

Neither are the cheapest, but neither are the most expensive. They work well for years so I consider them both good investments.

Welcome back!  <S>

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 07:50:53 AM »
I bought the Steelseries Arctis 7 a few years ago, it's wireless which is great, battery typically can last over a day depending on usage. Used to have a Logitech G933 but it was very heavy.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 02:54:26 PM »
Thanks, fellas. I bought the USB hub Fugitive recc'd as I have a couple other peripherals I use a bunch and don't want to keep climbing under and behind the desk to plug them in. Plus, it was only $27 which is far cheaper than I was thinking.
I'm still studying in the headset rabbit hole but you've given me keen ideas.

Thanks again
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 03:15:33 PM »
In my experience you shouldn't need a usb powered hub unless you have an older computer.
I've only had issues with USB ports and controllers when I tried to use the older black USB ports.
The newest m/b I built has orange usb sockets which are supposed to be rated at an even higher wattage then the blue ones so I'm guessing most of the newer computers should have these new ports.

I've always used the Logitech headsets and have had no issues with them. I've used different models so I can't recommend a specific one but all the ones I've had have worked without issue.

Good to see you back :)

Hope your nephew doesn't get discouraged by the beat down that new players tend to get. Maybe you can use him as bait? hehe

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 07:11:56 PM »
I have a turtle beach but some of them you can hear yourself while talking into the mic which is very annoying, and it is by design and not able to be disabled.

And a +1 for a powered USB hub. Those things work wonders as long as you get a good name brand one and not a chinese piece of garbage. I have a star tech 7 port 3.0 hub that was given to me and it works like a champ. Also have an older 2.0 hub that is just for small things like the keyboard/mouse, etc. Anything critical goes straight into the usb ports on the computer.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 07:13:40 PM by Meatwad »
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 07:41:21 PM »
Hope your nephew doesn't get discouraged by the beat down that new players tend to get. Maybe you can use him as bait? hehe

Oh, I'll be in for the same beat-downs.......I remember very little of the very little ACM and SA I once had. No piece of hardware will help with that!

He's back in school but I think he'll be serviceable as a gunner for the scenario. That, or he'll be back to whatever the hip game he was playing prior.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 07:44:13 PM »
I have a turtle beach but some of them you can hear yourself while talking into the mic which is very annoying, and it is by design and not able to be disabled.

The one you have doesn't let you hear yourself? If so, which model? Nobody wants to hear me talk less than myself.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2024, 06:28:33 AM »
The one I have does let me hear myself with no way to disable it. I hate it and hardly use it just for that reason.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2024, 09:13:41 AM »
The one I have does let me hear myself with no way to disable it. I hate it and hardly use it just for that reason.
Do you mean that you can hear your voice amplified through the headphones? If so, going to Settings>Sound>Input>Microphone>Properties>Advanced>Listen is the place to check:

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2024, 10:58:56 AM »
<S> Bizman! I was just looking up the same thing.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2024, 07:03:26 AM »
Listen box is unchecked. This issue is the way the headphones are designed per turtle beach. This feature is enabled by design by turtle beach and the only option to mute it is either mute the mic completely which disabled vox comms or buy a diffferent brand of headset. Reading reviews online, that model (turtle beach ear force p11) is permanent for the mic listening. I wouldnt mind getting a new mic some point but I hardly use it enough to warrant it.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2024, 09:08:17 AM »
Listen box is unchecked. This issue is the way the headphones are designed per turtle beach. This feature is enabled by design by turtle beach and the only option to mute it is either mute the mic completely which disabled vox comms or buy a diffferent brand of headset. Reading reviews online, that model (turtle beach ear force p11) is permanent for the mic listening. I wouldnt mind getting a new mic some point but I hardly use it enough to warrant it.
Oh well... I just read reviews about a couple of desktop microphones and the only mentionable negative seemed to be the lack of a monitoring jack. So it seems that there's demand for microphones and headsets that let you listen to yourself, most likely for controlling the balance between your voice and game sounds in live streams.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2024, 04:06:30 PM »
Thats what I have read also. Mine was a case of "buy before reading reviews"