Author Topic: Welp… I Did Not Like VR.  (Read 2199 times)

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
Re: Welp… I Did Not Like VR.
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2024, 08:09:53 PM »
I played flight sims on large screen TVs with TrackIR for years and loved it.
When the hardware went to 4K as a playable resolution, it looked absolutely amazing.

I started with the original Oculus Rift.
The experience was amazing, but the resolution was just too low for dogfighting.
So, I split my time between flat panel and VR.

I upgraded to the Rift S.
The resolution was still a little rough, but now I could see well enough to dogfight.
I now spent most of my time flying in VR, but still flew flat panel for certain situations.

Then I got the Reverb G2.
I almost never use the flat panel for any flight sims.

I just got the Quest 3 not long ago and it proved to be a decent step up from the G2 with better color/brightness/clarity.
I only use the flat panel when doing things where I need to see the keyboard and/or control panels, such as mapping all the controls for each aircraft in DCS World.
Every now and then I fly flat panel just to enjoy the graphics, but I fly and fight much better with VR compared to flat panel/trackIR.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2024, 10:40:14 PM »
I played flight sims on large screen TVs with TrackIR for years and loved it.
When the hardware went to 4K as a playable resolution, it looked absolutely amazing.

I started with the original Oculus Rift.
The experience was amazing, but the resolution was just too low for dogfighting.
So, I split my time between flat panel and VR.

I upgraded to the Rift S.
The resolution was still a little rough, but now I could see well enough to dogfight.
I now spent most of my time flying in VR, but still flew flat panel for certain situations.

Then I got the Reverb G2.
I almost never use the flat panel for any flight sims.

I just got the Quest 3 not long ago and it proved to be a decent step up from the G2 with better color/brightness/clarity.
I only use the flat panel when doing things where I need to see the keyboard and/or control panels, such as mapping all the controls for each aircraft in DCS World.
Every now and then I fly flat panel just to enjoy the graphics, but I fly and fight much better with VR compared to flat panel/trackIR.

This hit home a bit thank you!

I’m still having trouble going to the 55” down to the vr native res. It’s a big jump.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline PopJanko

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2024, 08:45:05 AM »
There is your problem, wearing glasses in VR is not an optimal experience. If you can get a copy of your prescription you can order clip in lenses for your headset.

Where would you order clip in lenses?

Thanks

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2024, 08:59:10 AM »
Where would you order clip in lenses?

Thanks

Several out there...here's one

https://vroptician.com/

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2024, 09:05:18 AM »
Reloptix.com
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2024, 03:06:02 PM »
2nd vote for Reloptix. Like the magnetic two part system so if you need to pop out the lenses for cleaning or sharing the headset with a non-blind person it's super easy. Made in the US too so if you're on this side of the pond quicker and cheaper.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Baloo

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2024, 09:37:20 AM »
TrackIR and 27" monitor, 240 FPS, great clarity and graphics...I sit standard distance away from monitor and have the dual throttle, stick, rudder setup. Not sure what it's like flying a real P38...but I'm sure I am more comfortable  :rofl. I did some research into VR and yea the framrates and resolution are a big turn off, for me.
Squadron: Arabian Knights

In Game Name: AKBaloo

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2024, 10:02:50 AM »
TrackIR and 27" monitor, 240 FPS, great clarity and graphics...I sit standard distance away from monitor and have the dual throttle, stick, rudder setup. Not sure what it's like flying a real P38...but I'm sure I am more comfortable  :rofl. I did some research into VR and yea the framrates and resolution are a big turn off, for me.

I should retitle that I liked it just not as much lol. I thought about track ir but it’s not usable with my big tv. Would have to find a way to mount it somewhere. I’ve read some put it behind their head instead.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2024, 10:55:00 AM »

Good to see you up the other night, Baloo.   I thought I could recognize "Journey's End" as it raced down the runway on take off!   If you haven't tried the SickPuppy soundpack (aka Challenge's sounds) I recommend it.  The external sounds of the P-38 are fantastic.   

I use both VR and TrackIR.   VR for fighters, TrackIR  for GVs and bombing.  Wish I could stick with one or the other, but they each have strong and weak points.   The P-38 experience is exceptional in VR, you really get a sense of the size of the aircraft, plus its so easy to peer around the canopy framing in VR - you just move your head a little.   Superior to even optimized fixed views.   

I hope every one who is into flight sims gets a chance to try VR before they are done simming. 

Are you guys using the TrackIR hat clip?  I started with that but found the tracking subpar and the clip a pain to wear and use.  I ordered a plastic clip from an independent 3D printer and built my own clip using IR LEDs similiar to the video below, and have it ziptied to my headset, and it works great.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 11:14:21 AM by oboe »

Offline Baloo

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2024, 03:06:30 PM »
Good to see you up the other night, Baloo.   I thought I could recognize "Journey's End" as it raced down the runway on take off!   If you haven't tried the SickPuppy soundpack (aka Challenge's sounds) I recommend it.  The external sounds of the P-38 are fantastic.   

I use both VR and TrackIR.   VR for fighters, TrackIR  for GVs and bombing.  Wish I could stick with one or the other, but they each have strong and weak points.   The P-38 experience is exceptional in VR, you really get a sense of the size of the aircraft, plus its so easy to peer around the canopy framing in VR - you just move your head a little.   Superior to even optimized fixed views.   

I hope every one who is into flight sims gets a chance to try VR before they are done simming. 

Hey Oboe! It was great to see you up there as well, I think of you every time I admire that skin, no joke   :cheers: My wife has promised me when she wins the lottery she is buying my a 38 mockpit so I can fly in it  :rofl Also I did try Challengers sounds and while I do love the sounds, I noticed errors pop up specifically something to do with the stall buffet sound so I had to remove it...have you noticed this at all?

I use the clip on for the head set and yes it does work well on a monitor, but I've played on my old 65incher as well...thing is you just need a clear line of view for the LEDs to the camera, so you could technically just have it on the desk next to you.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 03:11:33 PM by Baloo »

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2024, 03:15:00 PM »
Hey Oboe! It was great to see you up there as well, I think of you every time I admire that skin, no joke   :cheers: My wife has promised me when she wins the lottery she is buying my a 38 mockpit so I can fly in it  :rofl Also I did try Challengers sounds and while I do love the sounds, I noticed errors pop up specifically something to do with the stall buffet sound so I had to remove it...have you noticed this at all?

I use the clip on for the head set and yes it does work well on a monitor, but I've played on my old 65incher as well...thing is you just need a clear line of view for the LEDs to the camera, so you could technically just have it on the desk next to you.

So for my 55” I would just have to have it near me in view? I was under the impression it had to be centered in front of me? 

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2024, 03:53:32 PM »
So for my 55” I would just have to have it near me in view? I was under the impression it had to be centered in front of me?

I use to have mine velcroed to the left side of my 42 inch TV about head high and it picked up the reflectors well. You just need to be sure you dont have any strong lights behind you. That would make it hard for the sensors to "see" the reflectors well.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2024, 03:59:33 PM »
I use to have mine velcroed to the left side of my 42 inch TV about head high and it picked up the reflectors well. You just need to be sure you dont have any strong lights behind you. That would make it hard for the sensors to "see" the reflectors well.

Thanks that’s good to know. Going to try SmoothTraxk tonight to see how that goes.

Offline Baloo

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2024, 04:42:48 PM »

Yes Sir! I have mine on the side of my monitor as well. And yep, when wife reads behind me sometimes the light affects the feed, but all is well lol. Good luck Dad!

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2024, 02:13:43 PM »
Yes Sir! I have mine on the side of my monitor as well. And yep, when wife reads behind me sometimes the light affects the feed, but all is well lol. Good luck Dad!

Thanks Baloo. Looks like SmoothTrack is going to be all I need it works great.