Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 31171 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2024, 03:50:11 AM »
I agree about the 3500+ alt.  I owned and flew a C-150 for 16 years.  It was the smooth air/lack of crosswinds on takeoff and landings in AH that kept breaking the immersion for me.  Interesting our different takes on the same subject.  :salute

I think I have a thread in the wishlist asking for those  :rock
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2024, 05:00:13 AM »

That's the one positive I like about you; you have great taste in music.  :rock
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2024, 08:41:58 AM »
Weather is no small factor in any flight operations. Nothing wrong with flying/fighting in ideal conditions but you may want to try some adverse conditions once in a while.

https://youtu.be/4jAJXArqfsM

Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2024, 08:44:40 AM »
Weather is no small factor in any flight operations. Nothing wrong with flying/fighting in ideal conditions but you may want to try some adverse conditions once in a while.

https://youtu.be/4jAJXArqfsM

Heck they whine when night falls...

I would think the 2nd time bad weather was on a map the whining would begin..

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2024, 08:46:58 AM »
The one thing I love about the weather is the added challenge.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2024, 08:54:43 AM »

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2024, 09:22:54 AM »
All the chatting we did yesterday made me want to log in and fly around 2-3PM est.  I do not usually play outside the night time and lately it’s only been a couple hours or less.

Only flew one sortie but there was a glaring difference I immediately noticed. The tone of the Rook country chat was nothing like it usually is later in the evening. If I was a newly joined casual onlooker dipping my toes in the water it would for sure have made me think twice.

Not sure if this was a one off for that time or normal and I am not putting names on blast to further the cheese but… some of you need to take a break from the game or typing once and a while. Give it a try.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 09:25:39 AM by Dadtallica »
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2024, 09:35:24 AM »
The one thing I love about the weather is the added challenge.

One of the Pony missions I flew on a solo campaign seemed simple enough.  A solo JU-88 picked up by radar inbound low level.  Jump into the aircraft to find low ceilings, fog, and high crosswinds.  With some effort and vectors from ground control I got the JU-88.  Using my kneeboard I got back to the field and the landing was tricky to say the least.  Had me squeezing the black out of the joystick, but on shut down I felt a real sense of accomplishment.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2024, 10:34:02 AM »
Wake turbulence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Q3kd4v3bw

Yes, but you have to be very, very careful with that or you will end up with an FPS of 2. 

Right now it is a mission level option.  Fine if you are making a small mission with just 1-4 jets and a tanker for training. 

If you have a 80 bomber formation and wake turbulence, your next frame will rendered sometime around 2042 and the image will be sent to you by registered mail.  ;)

They really should make that splitable.  Have a default mission setting and be able to turn it on\off for specific units to override the mission setting.

So have it off by default, but maybe turn it on just for the tanker because there the simulation would be limited and worth a few FPS.

IMHO.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2024, 11:14:05 AM »
MT may have improved the performance of that.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2024, 12:02:23 PM »
Am I missing something? Not sure I'm seeing any difference between wake turbulence on/off. Anecdotal, I joined the aero club at Grissom AFB in early '80's and took some lessons towards a private pilot license (which I never got). We took off too close behind a loaded KC-135 once and dropped like a rock when we hit a wing vortice. Instructor grabbed and yanked the controls. Scared him pretty bad. He apologized for letting me take off too close.

https://youtu.be/ZTbDeLn6oME

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2024, 12:13:38 PM »
MT may have improved the performance of that.

Maybe.  Some probably.  I don't know by how much.  They are mere breakings things into to big chunks like sound, physics, graphics, network threads.  I don't think they are doing plane by plane threads.  It's not that fine grained.  And if I have a big arena and some little AI cargo plane is landing delivering supplies off at some base with few around, is it really worth it for it to be calculating complex fluid dynamics for a wake turbulence.  If I have a tanker that players are going to regularly line up behind to gas up, then it is worth it there. It's expensive so should be spent where it buys the most improvement in user experience,  not waste cpu cycles on unneeded complexity everywhere in places that no one will notice.

Threads, like everything in life is a trade-off not a panacea.  More threads mean more cross-thread communication and more complicated thread synchronization overhead. 

Multi-threading synchronization is tricky.  Really tricky.  So there is definitely a curve of diminishing return on complexity.  Don't do it right and your multi-threading ends up no faster than single with a lot more risk.  Or you end up with dead-lock conditions.  Or you just end up with bizarro bugs that are near impossible to track down or reproduce reliably.  Which means they are hard as heck to debug and you can't really be sure if you fixed something or if the very specific set of conditions just hasn't aligned to cause it again...yet.

They had an have some bugs from the conversion, but actually I am very impressed they have had as few as they have.  Really hard to retro fit threading into something that wasn't designed to work that way from the beginning.  But hind sight is always 20\20. ;)

I watched one project I was on pretty much get destroyed by retro fitting in threading and going way to overboard with the granularity.  They did the initial conversion in about 6 months and spent the next 3 years try to stramp out all the crazy, random bugs that may not happened for days and suddenly for no apparent reason, suddenly start up.  They still didn't have it fully stabilized by the time I told them "Good luck with ALL that" and moved on. ;)

Next they need to do the server. ;)

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2024, 12:18:12 PM »
Am I missing something? Not sure I'm seeing any difference between wake turbulence on/off. Anecdotal, I joined the aero club at Grissom AFB in early '80's and took some lessons towards a private pilot license (which I never got). We took off too close behind a loaded KC-135 once and dropped like a rock when we hit a wing vortice. Instructor grabbed and yanked the controls. Scared him pretty bad. He apologized for letting me take off too close.

https://youtu.be/ZTbDeLn6oME

That's interesting.

Try putting a jet close behind each in trail.  Maybe you don't take a hit until something is in the space volume the turbulence would effect.  That would be smart.

A saw a video by Reflected, a guy who makes a lot of the WWII campaigns, and that was a warning he had.  Maybe it was much worse pre-MT.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2024, 12:21:12 PM »
Funny, I was just wondering that also. Kinda like a quantum effect. ;)

I'll test.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2024, 12:46:31 PM »
Funny, I was just wondering that also. Kinda like a quantum effect. ;)

I'll test.

Or like a render distance.