Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 31157 times)

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #210 on: January 30, 2024, 05:59:37 AM »
He keeps missing this main point, I'm sure it's intentional. He's devoted, he not going to listen to reason. <shrug>  you'll repeat this 10 more times with no reaction. Silence speaks a million words

Your just scared that you won't go back to Aces High and I totally understand that. I do appreciate you watching my youtube vids (hope your not stealing footage)

check out this  youtube video. NO WAY aces high competes

https://youtu.be/DYJSebxDFjM?si=wFcdxA2HoKzKIP2k
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #211 on: January 30, 2024, 07:23:01 AM »
Your just scared that you won't go back to Aces High and I totally understand that. I do appreciate you watching my youtube vids (hope your not stealing footage)

Again, that is just eye candy. I would much rather fly AH because in the 10+ minutes of the video ( he made a number of time jumps for the video) I could have been shot down by any number of guys. The explosions looked great but you needed to use "other views" to see them. From the angles he used it looked like he was going to catch damage from the explosions as he was way too close. Poor damage model. He didnt want to go back for guns, yet I never heard him getting hit on the two passes he did. That doesnt happen very often in AH.

And on top of it all, all he had to worry about was ack and his own poor flying (would have loved to see the guys by the jeep run like hell when he went by off the runway), no action.

People talk about the number slowly dropping in AH. I'll try DCS again once their numbers get to 100 on a server.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #212 on: January 30, 2024, 08:20:09 AM »

That looked hella boring. At least it’s pretty.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #213 on: January 30, 2024, 09:52:51 AM »

Uum, No. I say what I mean, I mean what I say.

You actually just proved my point. Look at those empty skies. Its another sightseeing video. There’s nothing going on except admiring graphics. That can only last so long before ya start worrying about finding fights. Which is why some of you are constantly trying to skim AH players. You’re not looking out for us, you’re looking out for your investment with no real fights. Never saw a furball in DCS , better yet 3-5 planes fighting. It’s like nonexistent.  Any AH player can post a video showing 20 bogies in one single area.

Graphics doesn’t do a damn thing for me if I can’t do what I’m in a sim to do, fight. Kinda like restoring a old car to beautiful, yet, it sits in a garage to avoid damaging it. I had a mint condition collector’s item 1979 BMW 528i, first 3 months of production, only 7 VIN numbers. 4 on the floor. Stunning beautiful jet black, you could read a beer can in the gloss. I didn’t park it, I put 240k miles on it. I enjoyed what it was made to do. It would do 130 mph all day long, and lit loved it. it did 124 from east WA to SD. A total blast on mountain roads. I look at DCS as a car sitting in a garage. Ya don’t skim players if you already have enough fighting. You don’t, why you’re here.

As low as numbers are compared to times past, we still get up to 160 in the MA, up from 90-112 in one arena. This game also loads lightning fast.

AH numbers dropped years ago, they are no longer dropping. In fact, we’re gaining numbers. Prolly pointed that out 100 times for those who read with eyes closed. I really hate repeating myself to people who can’t/won’t retain it. Some of you are like people knocking on my door with bible in hand, over and over, its annoying. The words no longer enter my head, just go away. They wore out their welcome on the 10th time. You’re actually to the point of making it look bad, desperate.

The sharp investment makes you worry about finding an actual regular fight, hence you’re here looking for what it doesn’t have to justify it.

I don’t like the payment model, I don’t like lacking of fights, better yet a furball, I don’t like fighting AI, I don’t like that the crowd is vastly splintered between many servers. More computers can run this game than that sim.

You do you, I’ll do me. The more I’m pushed, the more I reject it out of spite for being pushed. If I want to be there I’ll be there on my own. I don’t want to be there. I don’t have time to sit on a runway for 30 min, just to not find a fight when I finally get flying. If I can’t find a fight I have better things to do with my lacking time. If I do migrate it won’t be DCS.

I’ve already proved on these bbs with video that I can duplicate those FX, as long as I have an engine to accept them. Its not all that hard.

In a nut shell, you really haven’t made your case here. I don’t think you can. If you go there for eye candy, but come here for excitement, than it probably isn’t worth my investment.

I can fly and fight here every day for a month at the price of a Burger King meal. Whats your total investment? If all you have is graphics and engine management then I’m out.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #214 on: January 30, 2024, 11:18:56 AM »
That looked hella boring. At least it’s pretty.

Is it the video or was the flight done by a pc on the edge of its performance without v-sync, but movements were not smooth. Tearing effect.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #215 on: January 30, 2024, 11:38:12 AM »
Just wondering with today's latest skins release,  does any of these other sims have near the selection of skins as AH does?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #216 on: January 30, 2024, 11:40:46 AM »
You can run DCS smoothly on a GTX 1000 series card if you reduce many or most of the settings. A 3000 series card can handle just about everything on the highest settings. Talking 2D of course. VR requires more hp.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #217 on: January 30, 2024, 11:42:57 AM »
Just wondering with today's latest skins release,  does any of these other sims have near the selection of skins as AH does?

Eagler

No shortage of user made liveries for DCS. Probably not as much selection as AH though.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #218 on: January 30, 2024, 03:34:21 PM »
The more accurate flight model, damage model, weather, and wake turbulence, really show the simplicity of AH and IL-2.  These items are real concerns in aerial combat

My feeling, having flown air combats in SIAI-Marchetti SF.260's at Air Combat USA, is that it was highly similar to dogfights in AH.

When I flew my combats there, I did the full range of things we do in Aces High:  loops, split s'es, Immelmanns, vertical persuits, high and low yo yo's, scissors, rolling scissors, lag persuit, lead moves, energy moves, angles moves, with up to 6 g's.  There were some fights that ended just like in AH, where we fought to a stalemate-ish stallfight, chugging around on the hard deck with flaps out, seeing who could squeeze the last drop of turn performance out.

In terms of feel, it felt very much like P-51's in the dueling arena.  Similar handling feel (in terms of roll response, pitch response, etc.).  Similar way the fights went.

I didn't have to put much attention on engine control (other than pulling back some on throttle in prolonged vertical dives).  Wake turbulence was not a meaningful factor in any fights.

There was one aspect of aerodynamics that did matter in these Air Combat fights that might not in AH:  flow separation as you approach stall.  In real life, as you pull enough g's to get near stall, you start to get flow separation off the tops of the wings.  In AH, you do see this from the screen shake and buffeting noise.  In the Marchettis, you got that buffeting.  But in real life, drag goes up more during buffet than outside of buffet.  So in the fights, it was important to pull g's only up to but not into buffet (unless you want big drag, for causing an overshoot, or something like that).  In AH, we often pull right into that buffet closer to the edge of the stall.  I haven't noticed higher drag in buffet than out of buffet.  That doesn't mean it isn't in AH -- it would not be hugely noticeable.  But if there was a difference between Air Combat and AH, I would say it is where you choose to ride the edge of g's: at edge of buffet or at edge of stall.  It wouldn't change the characteristics of the fight either way.  Riding the edge of buffeting is exactly the same as riding the edge of stall -- you are just picking one or the other to ride the edge of.  So this one is just a very fine, picky detail.

I've read a huge number of first-person accounts of WWII air combat.  Sometimes, a pilot does tell you that things done with prop pitch, mixture, throttle setting, etc.  But often, those were things that a pilot did when first entering combat from a cruising configuration.  Then, once in fighting configuration, they aren't doing much other than manipulating throttle as desired for combat, usually keeping it on full, less commonly chopping it to slow down.  Cowl flaps were usually staying closed.  Oil-cooler flaps are usually on auto or in some state that don't require manipulation during a fight.  Mixture in auto rich.  Prop in max rpm.   Mixture and prop are fiddled with in cruise.  The other various flaps are usually fiddled with in landing and takeoff.

As a result, I'm suspecting that fiddling with engine knobs isn't adding accuracy of the air-combat portion of flight.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #219 on: January 30, 2024, 03:53:54 PM »
If you haven't spent much time in DCS you really don't have enough information to make a judgement as to which is more realistic. It's pretty easy to set up any number of scenarios for testing. Use the ace level for enemies in DCS.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #220 on: January 30, 2024, 07:28:18 PM »
From another former aces high player this pretty much sums it up

Quote: It's a gamer Hospice.  Most of those old farts are too old to learn anything new.  They just want to spin in the hamster wheel just like they've been doing since Bill Clinton was President.  Besides onset dementia preventing them from learning anything new, this close to the bone yard, most of them can't invest in a new machine to run it.  Half of them are probably on intel 486 chips.  No, at this point the best we can do is keep grandpa comfortable until the inevitable end comes.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #221 on: January 30, 2024, 08:09:59 PM »

Quote: It's a gamer Hospice.  Most of those old farts are too old to learn anything new.  They just want to spin in the hamster wheel just like they've been doing since Bill Clinton was President.  Besides onset dementia preventing them from learning anything new, this close to the bone yard, most of them can't invest in a new machine to run it.  Half of them are probably on intel 486 chips.  No, at this point the best we can do is keep grandpa comfortable until the inevitable end comes.

Sounds like a little self absorbed idiot. Why are you even here? You're like a cockroach. get on your bicycle and ride off. werido
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #222 on: January 30, 2024, 08:15:16 PM »

Yeah, that sounds real.

If it is, it sounds like posterior ends of the digestive tract like to gather together and exhale gas at each other over there on the old Twitch chan.

Oh, learn to use the trim wheels and whatnots on your P-47 after you get the wiring schematic and tune up procedure down. That way, your videos won't be so wavy and bouncy. Half the audience had to chunk into their popcorn bucket during that scintillating Dick Darkwood joint.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 10:22:49 PM by xanax »
The Damned
Founded 1988

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #223 on: January 30, 2024, 08:45:03 PM »

Funny, you use logic in a discusion and "they" fall back on name calling.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #224 on: January 30, 2024, 09:40:00 PM »
Funny, you use logic in a discusion and "they" fall back on name calling.

What’s even funnier is former players that are so disgusted with AH and its current state, yet they won’t go away. It’s the same people that have to comment containing their unwanted input on social media instead of just scrolling on by.

It seems like the only reason they’re here is to talk negatively about AH. It’s obvious their “friends” are elsewhere. So why stay?
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||