Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 31068 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #255 on: January 31, 2024, 04:28:32 PM »
I'll come back to the MA if I can bring my F-16.

Jets are for gurls. ;)

Real men fly whirly-birds.  It's like rubbing your tummy while patting your head and tap-dancing all at he same time. ;)

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #256 on: January 31, 2024, 04:43:15 PM »
Sometimes I exercise my manliness.

https://youtu.be/jo7aC9Qx_7g
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #257 on: January 31, 2024, 04:52:27 PM »
Sometimes I exercise my manliness.

https://youtu.be/jo7aC9Qx_7g

Now THAT'S some testosterone!

I do FM homing a lot but haven't done ILS.

Why wasn't it at night too with NVG? ;)

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #258 on: January 31, 2024, 04:53:53 PM »
Here's a free whirly bird mod that's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSh3Wmn05Lc

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #259 on: January 31, 2024, 05:13:18 PM »
Here's a free whirly bird mod that's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSh3Wmn05Lc

Yes.  Amazing that's player-made.  Impressive.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #260 on: February 01, 2024, 12:28:53 AM »
Seems this thread has run its course lol.

About 10 pages ago. It's going backwards at this point. Repeats with more inventive ways to say the same thing.
"Mine is bigger than yours", "Follow my flute", "Listen to me, I know everything...", "Keep it on top".

I predicted once it cooled down Trips would be in here carpet bombing, keep it on top and burying facts that he hates to come out on top... that 1) numbers are coming up in AH, 2)there is almost no fight in Pretty Planes. Keep the negatives rolling. WHALLA as predicted. What 10 post? We all know the routine and how this was going to go. It's sales with a different swing.

I'll return to Pretty Planes when they can produce fights instead of a freshly waxed plane sitting in the garage, and 100 players in one arena. Neither are going to happen.

All they really did was set the stage for Trips. You guys can finish this at Pretty Planes now, since that's what it's really about. Some of you bite every shinny hook and give away the store.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 01:36:05 AM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #263 on: February 01, 2024, 06:17:44 AM »
The vocal minority campaigned for changes which reduced this sim to a tiny sliver of what it once was.   

When the 49ers went mobile, I hunted them right away and enjoyed mucho fun while everybody else complained because they can't be bothered to expand their mission profile to include hunting.   

I later joined with them on some epic missions but left when I realized that stealth is no longer in the game.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #264 on: February 01, 2024, 06:22:52 AM »
The vocal minority campaigned for changes which reduced this sim to a tiny sliver of what it once was.   

When the 49ers went mobile, I hunted them right away and enjoyed mucho fun while everybody else complained because they can't be bothered to expand their mission profile to include hunting.   

I later joined with them on some epic missions but left when I realized that stealth is no longer in the game.

I think dar was simplified to make it easier to find a fight with the lower numbers on the way too big for the number of players maps..

Dar should be reset and the maps cut to half their sizes imo

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #265 on: February 01, 2024, 04:09:34 PM »
If you ever wanted to lob an AMRAAM 60 miles, and who hasn't, here's how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JEDgIt1erA

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #266 on: February 01, 2024, 04:17:42 PM »
If you ever wanted to lob an AMRAAM 60 miles, and who hasn't, here's how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JEDgIt1erA

Jets are for gurls. ;)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #267 on: February 01, 2024, 04:20:16 PM »
Don't be a hater.  ;)

Be advised, that ain't yer grandpappy's Microprose Strike Eagle.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #268 on: February 01, 2024, 04:47:37 PM »
I've read a huge number of first-person accounts of WWII air combat.  Sometimes, a pilot does tell you that things done with prop pitch, mixture, throttle setting, etc.  But often, those were things that a pilot did when first entering combat from a cruising configuration.  Then, once in fighting configuration, they aren't doing much other than manipulating throttle as desired for combat, usually keeping it on full, less commonly chopping it to slow down.  Cowl flaps were usually staying closed.  Oil-cooler flaps are usually on auto or in some state that don't require manipulation during a fight.  Mixture in auto rich.  Prop in max rpm.   Mixture and prop are fiddled with in cruise.  The other various flaps are usually fiddled with in landing and takeoff.

You just described exactly what DCS engine management entails in combat.  Manifold pressure (aka throttle) and RPM are the only things that really change in combat.  For aircraft like the P-51 there is even a placard inside the cockpit that lists manifold and RPM settings for different regimes of flight.

There seems to be a fear about engine controls in IL-2 and DCS.  In DCS you have several options: 

You can press a keyboard command (or map it to a HOTAS button) for "auto-start".  All the correct switches/levers will be activated for you.  You just sit and watch the engine come to life.

You can do a "hot start" in a mission.  The aircraft and all the major systems are up and running when you enter the cockpit.

You can do a "cold start" where you activate the switches/levers in sequence that is outlined on a kneeboard checklist.  For me this provides the quickest cockpit familiarity when I learn a new aircraft.  There are cold start training tutorials in DCS that take you step by step, giving you a description, pointing out each switch/lever, and proceeding to the next step once you have correctly activated the control.  It really is spoon fed to you.

For the P-51, once the engine is started you can simply click two switches for the oil cooler and inter-cooler to "open" and you are good for taxi, takeoff, cruise, combat, and landing.  For the Spit9 you don't even have the two switches to activate.

I imagine IL-2 is similar.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline TryHard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #269 on: February 01, 2024, 06:49:33 PM »
IL2 or DCS just simply can't compare to the MMO aspect of Aces High which is what makes Aces High simply in a different class of game compared to the others.

IL2 is closer to Aces High in dogfighting and has a much better damage model but small servers and maps.
DCS is made for jets and who gives a crap about jets, the WW2 airplane damage model is poopy, and good luck finding huge dogfights online.

I keep saying a game that can merge Aces High MMO aspects with some of the finer details of the IL2 flight model with DCS graphics would be amazing. However technology still hasn't progressed enough for that to be possible IMO.