Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 31231 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #270 on: February 01, 2024, 08:13:25 PM »
Don't be a hater.  ;)

Well, you might lure me to the Dark Side when this bad boy drops...  :devil

Mainly because it is not BVR.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 08:24:01 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #271 on: February 01, 2024, 08:25:02 PM »
TryHard...AcesHigh MMO is without a doubt the best. I enjoy both IL2 GB and DCS but, If Dale and Jason from IL2 teamed up for the next sim...That would be something!

It wont happen but...Wishes don't wash dishes as my better half tells me.  :)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #272 on: February 01, 2024, 08:58:31 PM »
TryHard...AcesHigh MMO is without a doubt the best. I enjoy both IL2 GB and DCS but, If Dale and Jason from IL2 teamed up for the next sim...That would be something!

It wont happen but...Wishes don't wash dishes as my better half tells me.  :)

Combat Pilot is certainly worth watching. 
But it is at least 5 years away from the single player (His estimate.  They said they will do that first.) 
Then they could start on the multiplayer. So it might be 8 years before they have a MP server.
There are many a slip between cup and lip. 

Also, it is possible IL2 and DCS are moving to flesh out WWII PTO to make it harder for new competitor to get up on his feet. 
Don't leave a potential threat an unfulfilled niche to take root in.

Besides in 5 years maybe you don't even have game companies.  Just GoogleAI, inc. You just open you chat interface and type:

"Make me a combat flight sim, Yom Kippur War era, F4-E, high-fidelity, max graphics, Campaign based, Wild Weasel missions only, VR support.  Optimize for the Pimax Crystal."

"One moment, I am happy to help.  ... Processing complete.  Here is the Cloud download link for your requested query.  Is there anything else I can do for you today?"

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #273 on: February 01, 2024, 09:25:10 PM »
CTrips or whatever you name is. Wishes have no bearing on reality. 5 maybe 10 yrs...cracks me up.

I have enjoyed flying in pc flights simulators since around 1990. If, in 10 years a new sim is there...I will be all over it if I can find my pc. 

I get you what you post and agree with much of it. The future is so bright...I might have to update my script for shades.

Live long and prosper...:)   BTW...I have finally mastered the DCS Spitfire Mk 9. I love it!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #274 on: February 01, 2024, 10:10:24 PM »
I did preorder the Phantom. I expect we'll hear something in the weekly newsletter tomorrow at 9 regarding that. I expect we'll by phlying it this month. Raw radar scans, often disappointing missiles, backseaters with attitude, and mach 2. Sounds like phun.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #275 on: February 01, 2024, 10:10:58 PM »
CTrips or whatever you name is. Wishes have no bearing on reality. 5 maybe 10 yrs...cracks me up.

I have enjoyed flying in pc flights simulators since around 1990. If, in 10 years a new sim is there...I will be all over it if I can find my pc. 

I get you what you post and agree with much of it. The future is so bright...I might have to update my script for shades.

Live long and prosper...:)   BTW...I have finally mastered the DCS Spitfire Mk 9. I love it!

It wasn't a wish.  I was just making a joke about how AI is taking everything over.  Which isn't that much of a joke anymore.  A lot of low level web dev jobs and such will be the first to vanish with AI.  The stuff that is sorta expensive, but not really creative, and not that complex.  AI is going to devastate that.  If you got your job because you went to a 6 month Code Camp your job is vulnerable in the near term.

If you are a car mechanic or a farmer you are safe. 

Para-legal?  Lol.

The silver lining?  It's going to put a lot of low end offshore outsourcing developers out of business first. ;o)

That spit is beautiful because it is favorite aircraft of the CEO.  ;) Golden rule: He who has the Gold makes the Rules.   Normandy 2 is a beautiful map.

I've just been learning the Pony.  Went through all the training missions.  Just for hoots I've been making offline missions where I just cold start on a ramp, taxi, take off, fly cross country to a pre-selected second airfield with nothing on the F10 map except the map.  No "YOU ARE HERE" icon.  I VFR my way looking for landmarks and compass headings.
Land, taxi to ramp, shut down.  Then check it in Tracview to see how my pattern and speeds and approaches looked.  Make notes.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

Just having fun relearning everything from scratch the proper way.  It's study sim so I figured I'd do a little studying. ;)  It's a relaxing evening.

And I occasionally make Bang-Bang mission for gunnery practice.  And I need that too.

[Edit] Oh, and I just started the Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney campaign for fun.  Only on mission two.   

« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 10:16:30 PM by CptTrips »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #276 on: February 01, 2024, 10:12:34 PM »
I did preorder the Phantom. I expect we'll hear something in the weekly newsletter tomorrow at 9 regarding that. I expect we'll by phlying it this month. Raw radar scans, often disappointing missiles, backseaters with attitude, and mach 2. Sounds like phun.

I see what you did there. ;)

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #277 on: February 01, 2024, 10:28:21 PM »

Don't forget the copious black smoke!
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #278 on: February 01, 2024, 10:33:34 PM »
Don't forget the copious black smoke!

I think they were coal-powered back then.

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #279 on: February 01, 2024, 11:12:55 PM »
CTrips...I hear you.

Regarding DCS...the Spit MK9 is the most difficult prop to learn. Master it and you will love it. In AcesHigh they say it is an easy noobee plane. Far from the truth in real life. As for the Mustang in DCS...actually easy. Beware the brakes in all tail draggers in DCS. I know for a fact that they are way too touchy in dcs.

And CTrips, get ready for the next celestial event in our life time. And don't forget about the awesome meteor shower in 2032.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #280 on: February 02, 2024, 05:14:20 AM »

IL2 is closer to Aces High in dogfighting and has a much better damage model but small servers and maps.

Servers in IL-2 take max. 80 players, GVs included where they are available. There are those where max is less, like 30.

Size of maps varies, like Bodenplatte’s flyable area is 401 x 324 km, Moscow’s 270 x 290 km and Stalingrad map is 385 x 230 km. Tank Crew map is 10,000 sq. km, aircrafts are available and WW1 Flying Circus Western Front map is just 120,00 sq. km but with speed of those contraptions, who needs more space?

If THIS ever materializes, I can fly over the places I spent my childhood and land to our summer house if I can get seaplane from somewhere...   
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #281 on: February 02, 2024, 06:32:25 AM »
If you ever wanted to lob an AMRAAM 60 miles, and who hasn't, here's how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JEDgIt1erA

The is the "as exciting as watching grass grow" part of jet fighting that keeps me away

Push a button and a dot on dar disappears...but you can watch the missile flying..Zzzzzzzz

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #282 on: February 02, 2024, 08:46:37 AM »
It's not just about getting that kill. It's also about not getting killed. It takes SA and skill to dodge those incoming missiles. To each his own.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #283 on: February 02, 2024, 09:53:24 AM »
I have no friends anywhere, so I might as well stay here  :banana:

Yup.... I sure don't like you, so I'll stay here too. ROTFLMAO  :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #284 on: February 02, 2024, 10:27:41 AM »
So, as I take it the current state of simulated WWII aerial combat is:

AH has not been updated in about 10 years, shows no sign of updates to address player issues, MA numbers show minor fluctuations, and FSO numbers continue to decline.

IL-2 showing no further development in WWII till after a Korea era module coming out, roughly two to three years.

Combat Pilot is five years for single player and probably eight for multi-player.

DCS is working on WWII PTO with release in about a year.

Any others on the horizon?

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills