Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 31096 times)

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #300 on: February 04, 2024, 08:01:35 AM »
It is very happy indeed

Fighting cartoon aircraft without icons is difficult for some. You stick with easy mode

Such a strange flex. You’re not a serious person.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #301 on: February 04, 2024, 11:06:09 AM »

Why take any of this that serious???

There is no comparison between any of these games. There are levels of quality flight sims. Positives and negatives between all of them. The only thing aces high has going for it anymore versus all the other flight sim games is numbers, but if you check these boards there is a lot of complaints about players just sitting in the tower killing the ENY, which always leads into the " TWO COUNTRIES" talk. It is a boring cycle. Everyone in a hurry to reset the map only to get another same old map that they will complain about.

In DCS its only two countries.
The maps are so big you'll never see all of it. one map (Persian Gulf) is 76Gb
The level of management of the aircraft is way more detailed.
There are three main WW2 servers which are almost always full.
There are a handful of cold war and modern servers that are always occupied.
Fights are found way faster, and the enemy doesn't run away to the ack like in Aces High.
Its only two countries

Yes there are no icons
Yes you may blow up the engine easily
Yes the game eats hard drives up

But it is soooo worth it. Brooke always speaks of scenarios like the Battle of Berlin. But you never see the cliffs of Dover on your climb out over the channel. Trust me when I tell you that it is indeed a beautiful site.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #302 on: February 04, 2024, 11:27:52 AM »

"DCS is gay"

Is also not a serious statement.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #303 on: February 04, 2024, 11:49:40 AM »
No game can match what happened in the special events last night with MOA. That is one reason why I still enjoy AH so much. The intensity of the battle, watching 60 bombers fly past with a swarm of bees above them guarding them at 28k, trying to get in there pick off bombers with 3 p51s diving down you. Just no other game can match that.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #304 on: February 04, 2024, 11:50:15 AM »
"DCS is gay"

Is also not a serious statement.

Yup.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #305 on: February 04, 2024, 12:10:01 PM »
No one needs to be defensive. Play what you like, when you like. Be glad there's no dearth of sims and that they are becoming more and more realistic.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #306 on: February 04, 2024, 12:11:17 PM »
Start up times for game application...

AH wins that one hands down

I have a pretty fast box and it still takes a while for il2 or dcs to load up

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #307 on: February 04, 2024, 12:16:09 PM »
Start up times for game application...

AH wins that one hands down

I have a pretty fast box and it still takes a while for il2 or dcs to load up

Eagler

No question DCS takes the longest. I get to the main menu in a bout 50 secs. Starting a mission from there varies a lot depending on the terrain and complexity of the mission.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #308 on: February 04, 2024, 12:18:01 PM »
'81 or '82 took my Atari 400 10 minutes to load Zaxxon from my tape drive.

Might have been '83 for Zaxxon, not sure. Bought a Commodore 64 with a 1541 not long after. Loading from a disk drive instead of a tape drive was a dream.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 12:25:39 PM by AKIron »

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #309 on: February 04, 2024, 01:45:29 PM »
So, as I take it the current state of simulated WWII aerial combat is:

AH has not been updated in about 10 years, shows no sign of updates to address player issues, MA numbers show minor fluctuations, and FSO numbers continue to decline.

IL-2 showing no further development in WWII till after a Korea era module coming out, roughly two to three years.

Combat Pilot is five years for single player and probably eight for multi-player.

DCS is working on WWII PTO with release in about a year.

Any others on the horizon?

Pretty planes does not have a large multiplayer arena, which is what this tribe is based on.
Aces High and Pretty Planes is not even really the same market. They are not the same, they don’t draw the same crowds. The core interest is not the same. You guys are trying combine oil and water. You’re selling tea to people who love beer.

The reason people player both us to fill voids the other is missing.
There is no more wrong with this game than any other. AH didn’t lose numbers because it sucks, other sims got on their feet and simply split the horde 4 ways.

In all 4, their best pilots  and mist knowledgeable pilots came from here and AW. Including yourselves. This IS the trunk of the tree. The further and the branches grown from the trunk the thinner they are. The core if the art of fun and high adrenaline concept is lost.

What we saw was a weeding process. What is left are the most devoted to this core concept. A good deal of these came out of the beginning of it. The most seasoned if any sim. These people would fly this concept, in these arenas, if it were 1990s graphics. By who the hell would not want to learn and compete with the best.

This is the reason you guys are here, doing what you very well know should not be done, to skim what would make your game feel complete.

There is only one single possible reason that former players, come here, away from their own forums, to have these conversations, … is sales. It can be for this game too, however, players here cannot sell there. Which puts it behind the 8 ball in your favor, and seizing on it.

My point?
Aces High III, without any recent updates, is still good enough to not only withstand this, but to actually add numbers while this is going on. The “Masters of the Air” scenario has had the biggest turnout in at least 5 yrs, at 115 human pilots, in the 1st frame, so far. Noe of the others can even put 115 in a single arena, better yet 160.

“The numbers used to be so much higher”. True enough. I refer to my “4 ways” comment above. However, Critical Mass is 100-120. You can’t have a lot of battle under that. When we add 20 new players we just added two hordes and another full battle. We added 40 in about 7 months in the arena, we now have 3 full battles at once.
 Without mentioning 120 planes and vehicles fir the price of a Burger King per month.

Because of PvP servers instead of a MP arena, all the games mentioned above, mathematically cannot even hit bare minimum Critical Mass. So, there is no comparison on the main point we make. That huge population is splintered to dust and hard to find a fight. Nor do you have 100% MP scenarios of any real size, without AI bandaid.

The trunk of the tree is the thickest part to the roots. And we welcome anyone who wants to experience true high adrenaline with us. For our return players, the memories of this sim has had a lasting impact.

More towards the other constant two, it can be a challenge to understand calling people here friends while they crash their party and pee in their grandma’s beer. Their credibility is kinda gone. Its been a failure. MotA is good proof. It’s nonsense by the strangely obsessed. One told me I don’t have the power to stop him. “You can’t stop me” shows intent to cram it down our throats, against our will, until we succumb to him, and he usually rides in on someone elses back.

Our return players, have done so, for some of the best fun of their past in combat flight sims. It wasn’t over-sold to them. Its a preference, like your own, that is different from our own. They aren’t a good match. Ya gave up fun for graphics and cockpits in Pretty Planes. We get it. If thats what we wanted we would have done so years ago. We’re not stupid to like what we like. Stupid is beating on our door every day with bible in hand expecting different results. Evidently, we’re not the ones incapable of learning.

Despite no recent updates,…Banter on 200 has come down. Political talk has come way down. We’ve added numbers to the MA. We have a very successful scenario running. We’re in a better spot. I remember someone predicting this was possible.

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #310 on: February 04, 2024, 02:18:25 PM »
No one needs to be defensive. Play what you like, when you like. Be glad there's no dearth of sims and that they are becoming more and more realistic.

This! Play and fly, tank and ack where you feel it suits you. "My mother beats your dad"-style jabbajabba starts really sound like in a kindergarten. Whadda fok it belongs to someone, if a person likes another sim or game? I go to AH and IL-2. They are different. Am I divided personality, perhaps scitso because of that? Please, go on, pour bucketfulls of loose crap on me as I like both! 

The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #311 on: February 04, 2024, 02:26:40 PM »
Fighting cartoon aircraft without icons is difficult for some. You stick with easy mode
[/quote]

Absent clouds being in the way, it is not hard to keep track of a plane you are fighting in real life at prop-plane fighting distances. 

If any game makes that hard, it is making it less realistic, not more realistic.

For example, in WWIIOL many years ago, it was difficult to see planes you were in a fight with.  It would have been more realistic with icons that made it easy.

At least in my view based on flying at Air Combat USA, which were camo planes that matched OK the ground of mixed terrain, brown and brownish greens and some LA smog.  It was zero problem keeping track of the enemy.

Part of the reasons for this is that the human fovea has enormous resolution and color depth.  Also, the human visual system is excellent at picking out motion.  Some of these aspects are hindered in video, even with high-res screens and high frame rate, compared to real life.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #312 on: February 04, 2024, 02:46:22 PM »
Absent clouds being in the way, it is not hard to keep track of a plane you are fighting in real life at prop-plane fighting distances. 

If any game makes that hard, it is making it less realistic, not more realistic.

For example, in WWIIOL many years ago, it was difficult to see planes you were in a fight with.  It would have been more realistic with icons that made it easy.

At least in my view based on flying at Air Combat USA, which were camo planes that matched OK the ground of mixed terrain, brown and brownish greens and some LA smog.  It was zero problem keeping track of the enemy.

Part of the reasons for this is that the human fovea has enormous resolution and color depth.  Also, the human visual system is excellent at picking out motion.  Some of these aspects are hindered in video, even with high-res screens and high frame rate, compared to real life.

I agree.  That is one of the issues current sim developers are trying to address.  I think VR helps, but I still prefer the little chevron icon above the other aircraft.  After playing in several multi-player servers with no icons, I think the current state of the graphics has at least reached a point where identification of aircraft type is closer to real life.  Seeing the initial "dot" is hard, but once you saddle up on a bogey, determining aircraft type is more a matter of knowing what to look for.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #313 on: February 04, 2024, 02:51:25 PM »

That's pretty much my view. (Excuse the pun)

You could though, make the case that it is fair if everyone is in the same boat.  It still might not be realistic without them because fights would break off that shouldn't have because WWII was not filled with Mr.Magoos.  They were 20 yo Chads with perfect vision.

Whether it is said or not, I think the real underlying objection is aesthetic.

If I was setting up a WWII server in DCS, I would probably enable some level of labels Even if just red or blue "*".  Anyone can turn their own off if they prefer to challenge themselves.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #314 on: February 04, 2024, 02:53:43 PM »
But it is soooo worth it. Brooke always speaks of scenarios like the Battle of Berlin. But you never see the cliffs of Dover on your climb out over the channel. Trust me when I tell you that it is indeed a beautiful site.

Graphics, scenery, etc are nice.  I'd prefer to have those things than not have them.

But for me, the realism I want is in the WWII-like fights.  All the rest is distantly second place, not that noticeable in most of what I'm doing.  I'm generally only looking at scenery and cockpit details or what I'm doing with an engine, during takeoff and landing, or maybe during a long travel to or from combat (where I might have to manage fuel, or prop settings, or what have you), which are minor parts of what I'm there for.

For me, if the fights I get in, what happens in those fights, and my experience in those fights makes me think, "Man!  That is just like the accounts in that book I was reading on this battle!" -- that's the best to me.

So, until there's something out there that has WWII scenarios that are better than AH scenarios, I wouldn't prefer it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 02:56:58 PM by Brooke »