Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 31352 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #420 on: February 08, 2024, 09:13:40 AM »
Does telling people to stop posting ever really work?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #421 on: February 08, 2024, 09:35:37 AM »
Everyone is free to do whatever they choose.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #422 on: February 08, 2024, 09:39:07 AM »
So why ask for this one to be closed and another started? Not trying to be confrontational here though it does come naturally to me.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #423 on: February 08, 2024, 09:46:25 AM »
I think it brings up a possible way AH could attract more players.  Allow one fighter, one bomber, and one GV to be free forever in the MA.  This in addition to the two week free trial.  I know this has been suggested before.

It appeals to the crowd that has less powerful PCs, takes up a small amount of drive space.  This is being done in other sims out there and just might get players past the "subscription hurdle".

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #424 on: February 08, 2024, 10:01:12 AM »
I think it brings up a possible way AH could attract more players.  Allow one fighter, one bomber, and one GV to be free forever in the MA.  This in addition to the two week free trial.  I know this has been suggested before.

It appeals to the crowd that has less powerful PCs, takes up a small amount of drive space.  This is being done in other sims out there and just might get players past the "subscription hurdle".

That idea has been shot down by HT himself here and other threads...

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,406093.0.html

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #425 on: February 08, 2024, 10:38:15 AM »
That idea has been shot down by HT himself here and other threads...

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,406093.0.html

Eagler

Sure wish HiTech would post some sort of news.  A possible plan for the future or even just an acknowledgement that "the lights will be left on till it is no longer cost effective".

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #426 on: February 08, 2024, 10:48:52 AM »
And of course any and all modules have a free two week trial that resets every 6 mos.

You want a challenge take off in the 109 with all assists off like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3hY_iiZEuI
Wow. you made that look easy. I've heard otherwise lol.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #427 on: February 08, 2024, 10:50:55 AM »
Unless you are on Steam.  No trials there.   :furious

No, I don't want to transfer my licenses to standalone.  ;)

I haven't done anything through Steam. Is there a reason I should or should not?

I'm thinking to buy one of the old Il2 versions too during the next Steam sale but it looks like I can only buy them through steam?

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #428 on: February 08, 2024, 10:53:38 AM »
There are dozens of videos on what settings to use. Tell me your CPU, memory, and GPU and I can recommend some settings.
I'm running a 12100 with a 1080 ti with 32GB

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #429 on: February 08, 2024, 10:55:40 AM »
I found an interesting flight sim today. Massively multiplayer, fair to middling graphics, decent flight model and lots of cool planes. It was right in my attic all along.
https://imgur.com/qRalvYS
Wow! that's a nice manual with the binding. Mine has like the notebook type spiral holding it together.

Can you setup a server so we can play? Didn't AW have 8 or 16 player?

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #430 on: February 08, 2024, 10:55:53 AM »
Sure wish HiTech would post some sort of news.  A possible plan for the future or even just an acknowledgement that "the lights will be left on till it is no longer cost effective".

I don't think anything is on the horizon. 

https://www.hitechcreations.com/flight-simulators/2435-what-s-planned-for-aces-high-for-2024
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #431 on: February 08, 2024, 10:59:03 AM »
FC3 is a really good/cheap stepping stone for getting your head around modern combat while flying at hair-on-fire speeds, and not sure if it was mentioned before but the single aircraft options are dirt cheap.

$80 per plane is dirt cheap? I read in one of the posts that I can get half off my first purchase but $40 doesn't seem dirt cheap compared to the 5 or 6 planes for $25. Maybe I missed something?

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #432 on: February 08, 2024, 11:04:51 AM »
I don't think anything is on the horizon. 

https://www.hitechcreations.com/flight-simulators/2435-what-s-planned-for-aces-high-for-2024

Interesting. I had not seen this.  So nothing requiring a user update outside of player produced skins.  Maybe map rotations?  No acknowledgement of the decline in player numbers over the past 23 years? 

Are any of the current AH players noting any change in game play aside from declining numbers (yes, I know there appears to be a slight uptick in the MA, but FSO and scenarios continue to falter)?

TShark

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #433 on: February 08, 2024, 11:05:42 AM »
I haven't done anything through Steam. Is there a reason I should or should not?

I think most seem to prefer standalone.  If you want to do trials, that is easier.

I have stuck with Steam mainly because they already had my billing info rather than hand it out to another company.  Especially Russians.  I'm sorry, Swiss.  :rofl

What exposure I have with Steam, I've already had for years so that risk is a sunk cost.

Also it auto-updates for me.  When  I wake up and a new patch has been released, it is already on my machine installed. ;)

But I'd bet most will tell you to go standalone.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 11:29:33 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #434 on: February 08, 2024, 11:08:04 AM »
I'm looking into getting a 4070 Super so I'm thinking about trying out some other Sims.

Does anybody play Warthunder? Is it as gamey as I've heard? The graphics look nice but I haven't tried it in many years and the last time I did I just flew the P36 around.

Does Combat Flight simulator still exist or is there some way to fly WWII planes in Microsoft flight simulator?