Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 31290 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #450 on: February 08, 2024, 07:34:30 PM »
Is that the same with IL-2?  The data from DCS and MSFS2020 activates the haptic seat pad not the audio.  The HF8 has eight separate transducers and the activated transducers correspond with the location of items in the aircraft.  Drop a bomb from the right wing and you feel a vibration on the right side of your buttocks.  Touch down with one wheel first and you feel it under your thigh on the correct side.  When you combine a haptic seat pad with VR it really adds to the immersion.
I have the older jet pad. Same deal with 8 motors. The software for it takes telemetry for the effects right out of IL2 and MSFS that I play and DCS that I don't plus a lot of other sims. I have a Buttkicker too for extra thump with guns and damage. Works really well for IL2 and DCS. I've tried it with AH but since it doesn't do the direct telemetry thru the software you have to use it in "sound mode" where it's just using the game sounds. That would work fine but with integrated vox it vibes every time anybody speaks. No way to separate it out that I've found.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #451 on: February 08, 2024, 09:41:26 PM »
Feels like this has run its course. It’s no longer a discussion of sims.

Disclaimer: I don’t give a frogs fat butt if other sims are talked about here but this thread is no longer what was intended. A new one should be started if this current discussion needs to continue.

Seems I'm always posting in the wrong area. I figured that this was moved because I put the last one in the wrong area so I comment here and come to find out I did it again.

Can somebody break out the crayons and Big Chief and explain to me what I am aloud to post where?

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #452 on: February 08, 2024, 09:47:12 PM »
Seems I'm always posting in the wrong area. I figured that this was moved because I put the last one in the wrong area so I comment here and come to find out I did it again.

Can somebody break out the crayons and Big Chief and explain to me what I am aloud to post where?

Nah the discussion was really good but ran its course and became about one sim. That’s how threads work. Then new ones spawn and continue the current trend.

Make a DCS thread if you want to talk DCS. Both IL2 and Combat Pilot have an active DCS forum thread.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #453 on: February 08, 2024, 10:47:51 PM »
I had one question about a DCS "sale".
This was the same thing I asked in the original thread.
I asked if IL2 sale was a good price.

Guess I was confused and thought you could ask something about any sim in a "Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable"

I'm still not clear on what's aloud to be posted here and what needs a new thread. If I ask something about IL2 or another World War II online here then that also needs a new thread or just stuff related to DCS? :headscratch:

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #454 on: February 09, 2024, 02:22:24 AM »

I have a Buttkicker too for extra thump and damage.

I also had but nowadays we are divorced and live 32 miles apart.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #455 on: February 09, 2024, 07:32:49 AM »

Guess I was confused and thought you could ask something about any sim in a "Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable"

I'm still not clear on what's aloud to be posted here and what needs a new thread. If I ask something about IL2 or another World War II online here then that also needs a new thread or just stuff related to DCS? :headscratch:

You did nothing wrong posting here.  There were several responses put out there regarding DCS sales and new players, because there IS confusion on the cheapest way to try out DCS. 

THIS is the place for such questions.

This thread is still about comparison of aerial combat sims.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #456 on: February 09, 2024, 07:51:49 AM »
I'm running a 12100 with a 1080 ti with 32GB

Assuming no VR you can run most settings at high with that hardware. One of the biggest frame rate hits will be antialiasing. You'll just have to try different settings with that to find a compromise you're happy with.

Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #457 on: February 09, 2024, 07:52:33 AM »
I have the older jet pad. Same deal with 8 motors. The software for it takes telemetry for the effects right out of IL2 and MSFS that I play and DCS that I don't plus a lot of other sims. I have a Buttkicker too for extra thump with guns and damage. Works really well for IL2 and DCS. I've tried it with AH but since it doesn't do the direct telemetry thru the software you have to use it in "sound mode" where it's just using the game sounds. That would work fine but with integrated vox it vibes every time anybody speaks. No way to separate it out that I've found.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info.  I was not sure if IL-2 did telemetry.  So "SimShaker" with the sound module won't allow you to filter out the voice frequencies? 

Back in the 90's I had a "ThunderSeat" (basically a hollow plastic chair with a subwoofer in the base) hooked up to an amp/equalizer.  Took some fiddling, but was able to filter out most voice comms. 

Telemetry data seems to be the "state of the art" for combat flight sims.  I have been seeing a resurgence of force feedback controller posts and hope that tech becomes more mainstream as well.

It amazes me the influx of new combat flight sim hardware that has appeared over the last few years.

I dont do Scenarios or FSO but the first frame of the last 3 FSOs have had 75-90 players. The "Masters of the Air" scenario that just started this last weekend had over 115 players and was well received from what I hear. Are these numbers worst than before? I dont know but I hear they are still having fun.

Glad the MA is doing better.  When I left AH (beginning of 2022) the FSO numbers had dropped from around 180 to 120 in less than a year.  The end of year WWI party dropped from 250 to 90 in the same time period.  I still pull the AH FSO logs once in a while to see how my old squad is doing and unfortunately find the player numbers continue to drop.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #458 on: February 09, 2024, 08:31:32 AM »
I have a mix of hardware brands. Currently using a Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Warthog throttle, and VKB pedals. More older stuff sitting on the shelf. Just got the VKB pedals and like them a lot. No toe brakes though. VR is great but I prefer 2D in all the sims I play.

VKB USA site but the pedals were still shipped from China. Only took a week.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #459 on: February 09, 2024, 08:35:34 AM »

You didn’t do anything wrong.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #460 on: February 09, 2024, 08:45:54 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I was not sure if IL-2 did telemetry.  So "SimShaker" with the sound module won't allow you to filter out the voice frequencies?

Simshaker software isn't compatible with AH for starters. Using it in voice mode doesn't have any filters at all. It just uses whatever sound you point it at. I use Voicemeeter to manage my sound inputs and outputs. I tried using the equalizer on that to do it but it just muffled everything. The telemetry is a lot clearer using the individual effects. You feel everything from the engines and guns to stall buffet and wheels touching and can adjust all of those as you like.

Back in the 90's I had a "ThunderSeat" (basically a hollow plastic chair with a subwoofer in the base) hooked up to an amp/equalizer.  Took some fiddling, but was able to filter out most voice comms.

The Buttkicker is basically the same thing. Guts to a woofer without the cone with an amp driving it attached to your seat doing all the shaking

Telemetry data seems to be the "state of the art" for combat flight sims.  I have been seeing a resurgence of force feedback controller posts and hope that tech becomes more mainstream as well.

There is FFB telemetry available in AH. I tried AH using the jetseat in FFB mode but it gets nothing.

It amazes me the influx of new combat flight sim hardware that has appeared over the last few years.

Glad the MA is doing better.  When I left AH (beginning of 2022) the FSO numbers had dropped from around 180 to 120 in less than a year.  The end of year WWI party dropped from 250 to 90 in the same time period.  I still pull the AH FSO logs once in a while to see how my old squad is doing and unfortunately find the player numbers continue to drop.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #461 on: February 09, 2024, 08:49:04 AM »
Combat Pilot released their first developer diary for this year. Everything looks great but this game is so far away from anything as far as I can tell. Sounds like they are trying to temper expectations. They haven’t even finished the first two planes. That carrier looks pretty cool though.

https://forum.combatpilot.com/topic/48-combat-pilot-developer-diaries/?do=findComment&comment=7150
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 08:52:42 AM by Dadtallica »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #462 on: February 09, 2024, 09:07:27 AM »
Combat Pilot released their first developer diary for this year. Everything looks great but this game is so far away from anything as far as I can tell. Sounds like they are trying to temper expectations. They haven’t even finished the first two planes. That carrier looks pretty cool though.

https://forum.combatpilot.com/topic/48-combat-pilot-developer-diaries/?do=findComment&comment=7150

Yeah a ways away, but they sound further along than I was expecting.

:aok
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #463 on: February 09, 2024, 09:29:35 AM »

Yeah a ways away, but they sound further along than I was expecting.

:aok

Good!  Lets turn up the heat on DCS and IL-2 to develop PTO!!!

TShark

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #464 on: February 09, 2024, 09:42:56 AM »
Assuming no VR you can run most settings at high with that hardware. One of the biggest frame rate hits will be antialiasing. You'll just have to try different settings with that to find a compromise you're happy with.
Ooop. forgot to put that I'm using a Quest 2. I'm really looking at a 4070 super. Looks like it's decent bang for the buck. Think that would make much difference?