Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 31214 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #465 on: February 09, 2024, 10:23:16 AM »
I used a Quest 2 for a while with 3070 and it was fine. I just didn't like the small sweet spot of my Quest 2 and the grandkids have it now.

I think a 1080TI could drive a Quest 2 well enough if your willing to turn down some of the detail.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #466 on: February 09, 2024, 10:25:51 AM »
I think the 4070 Super is a good card but it does have a 192 bit bus which will limit performance compared to those with a 256 bit and higher bus.

Scroll down to the chart of relative performance and you can select each in the list to see the specs.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-4070-super.c4186
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 10:30:27 AM by AKIron »

Online hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #467 on: February 09, 2024, 10:41:23 AM »
Ya. I was looking at the bang for the buck. It looks like it's almost as fast as the 3090 from $600.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #468 on: February 09, 2024, 01:03:06 PM »
I think you're right. Very good bang for the buck. Will handle a Reverb G2 or Quest 2. Probably low fps for a Pimax Crystal or equiv.

Brother was running a G2 on a 3070 just fine. He just upgraded to a Pimax Crystal and tried it on his 3070 before he got the 4090. He was getting less than 10 fps with the 3070. Might have gotten 20 with some tweaking.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #469 on: February 09, 2024, 01:08:59 PM »
He's getting about 60 FPS with the Pimax and 4090 after we did some tweaking. This is with much set to high and everything is crystal clear, no jaggies or shimmering. We'll get better when we get the Quad Views Foviated Rendering working. That uses eye tracking and reduces the res except for where you're looking. Can greatly improve frame rate. The IR emitters around the lenses aren't working and are required for the eye tracking. Support is working with him today. 

Online hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #470 on: February 09, 2024, 01:14:03 PM »
I might be able to upgrade to a quest 3 one day but the 4090 and pimax are out of my budget at the moment. 4070S good for quest 3 I'm hoping?

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #471 on: February 09, 2024, 01:19:18 PM »
Off topic again I know but hardware is evolving continually and no where is it more important than in sims. You might think Foviating would create the same effect like the smallish sweet spot like my Quest 2 had. There's a big difference though. The Quest 2 doesn't eye track so you must point the headset where you want to look. No so in the Pimax, you just look and what you look at is sharpened.

Your eye actually has a small area at the back center of the retina called the macula. The center of your vision is focused on that macula which has a much denser area of photoreceptor cells and only it is capable of reading text, etc... I had a branch retinal vein occlusion a few years ago in my right eye and it damaged my macula. It's a struggle to read with my left eye closed now.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #472 on: February 09, 2024, 01:33:08 PM »
I might be able to upgrade to a quest 3 one day but the 4090 and pimax are out of my budget at the moment. 4070S good for quest 3 I'm hoping?

Maybe.

I do like the mixed reality the quest 3 has. Can see your keyboard and whatever while in the sim.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #473 on: February 09, 2024, 08:04:22 PM »
Off topic again I know but hardware is evolving continually and no where is it more important than in sims. You might think Foviating would create the same effect like the smallish sweet spot like my Quest 2 had. There's a big difference though. The Quest 2 doesn't eye track so you must point the headset where you want to look. No so in the Pimax, you just look and what you look at is sharpened.

Your eye actually has a small area at the back center of the retina called the macula. The center of your vision is focused on that macula which has a much denser area of photoreceptor cells and only it is capable of reading text, etc... I had a branch retinal vein occlusion a few years ago in my right eye and it damaged my macula. It's a struggle to read with my left eye closed now.

This is where us eye glass uses have an advantage. I have NEVER noticed a "sweet spot" in my quest2 because as an eye glass wearer we have learned to turn our heads to look around, not our eyes. Glasses have your focal points and so you get use to centering what your looking at in that focal area. Its the same with the quest I gues. If you want to look at something turn your head to look at it.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #474 on: February 09, 2024, 11:42:34 PM »
I wear glasses too, bifocals, not progressives. Progressives, unless the very expensive lenses, also have a sweet spot.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #475 on: February 10, 2024, 09:33:14 AM »
MA = 168, All Arenas = 174 at 8:45p CST

Well above critical mass of 100-120, we rollin.

Just saying,....only 32 more players to hit 200. We came up 48 since mid summer.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:06:12 PM by Animl-AW

THIS is how wrong DCS skimmers ARE

We contradict them the more they try.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #476 on: February 10, 2024, 10:28:29 AM »
Animal. Buddy. We both go back to AW. I know you know better than this. You're looking at a mirage. As I've told you before, it's the same winter numbers bump that happens every winter. Talk to me again when the weather turns and people go outside again.

And before you start a wall of text thinking you're gonna lecture me about this let's not forget that YOU left this game for years and years AND YEARS. I've been here the whole time. You come back, when was it? This fall? And now that it's winter you're like WOW! THE NUMBERS ARE COMING BACK! Uh. No. They're not. Here's what happened while you were away... For years and years and years.

I came over from AW in 2000 with the Damned. A massive squad. After many years and after the peak in AH I found myself flying around by myself. That squad pretty much evaporated. Hard to believe but it happened. So, I joined the 80th! A large group of like minded P-38 zealotes! Great bunch of guys. But once again, as the numbers fell away, I found myself flying around most nights tuned to squad TAC all alone. That squad has also pretty much evaporated. I still fly with their colors tho. I've been a long active events flyer until recent years. I was CO of the Damned special events squad. That fell off to just Joker (the original) and I. I folded the group and we joined the 412th. Had been with them for maybe 15 years? Hard to say. But they folded at the end of the year too. Joker fell off the side of the earth about a year ago. Been flying with him since day 1. This week's FSO had like 80 players total. The recent event  frame had a few more. That's a shell of what it'd been historically. Mirroring the MA. That lack of players removes an awful lot of what drew me to events, the strategic aspect. Not enough players for that anymore. Things are almost scripted relative years ago.

I'm not being defeatist. Just keeping it real. You can cheerlead all you like, but there's only one guy, literally, that can change this and that guy has clearly punched out. HT hasn't made any changes to the game at all-- in years. I don't know what that 2024 post on the website is about but the only "tweaks" I'm seeing are by the players. A couple of maps and some skins. That's it. No patches. Not even little quality of life improvements. But HT cut the company down to just him for a variety of his own reasons. Clearly some personal things which would take the wind out of anyone's sails. Perfectly understandable. Now he's working through some physical things too. Guy can't get a break it'd seem. I just don't see him jumping back in and playing with the code if only to ruin the risk of breaking something. Can't blame him for that after all this time.

I'd say let's just enjoy what this game has left in it--while you can. Eventually, the plug is gonna get pulled on the server at HT's house and that'll be a sad day for us all but I don't think that day is that godawful far off in the grand scheme of things.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Online Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #477 on: February 10, 2024, 10:31:06 AM »
Well said.

Winter bump on an FSO Friday night.

BTW… Thursday night it barely got over 110.

Lusches stats don’t lie.

Let’s just enjoy whatever it is we have while we have it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 10:33:28 AM by Dadtallica »
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Online RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #478 on: February 10, 2024, 11:18:27 AM »

THIS is how wrong DCS skimmers ARE

We contradict them the more they try.

DCS really is the most amazing game I have played to date. After playing Aces High for years, I can say that the level of quality and action is the best it is going to get with DCS. Nobody runs away from a fight in DCS. Nobody hides in the ack in DCS. People engage no matter the numbers involved.

In aces high it is the complete opposite. Players running away to numbers, hiding in the ack, NOE missions are the standard now. Boring

"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #479 on: February 10, 2024, 11:23:35 AM »
Well said.

Winter bump on an FSO Friday night.

BTW… Thursday night it barely got over 110.

Lusches stats don’t lie.

Let’s just enjoy whatever it is we have while we have it.

I think that is largely correct.

Still, the bulk of Boomers are starting to retiring last year.  It is possible that you could get a flush of returning players as they retire.  It is cheaper than golf.

For a variety of already discussed reasons,  I don't see AH being able to attract new players in any meaningful numbers.  I could see luring back more former players as possible.

Surely HTC has some emails for past players somewhere in it's data backups.  I know they don't want to be accused of spamming.  However spamming is usually defined as unsolicited emails to random people you have never had a business relationship with. Former players, you have had a past relationship with.  I wouldn't consider it spam to send out emails to former players offering a former player a 1 month comeback trial.  Sometimes, you have to flat out ask for the sale.  No point going bankrupt out of shyness.

Something that should be considered, IMHO.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 11:28:12 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.