Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 31125 times)

Online Dadtallica

• Silver Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #600 on: February 16, 2024, 05:31:40 PM »
Because some people don't want that out of a game. I enjoy the simplicity of AH. I can log in and go find a fight within 5 minutes of rolling. It is designed with this in mind. All of the games you mention are vastly different with different target markets and really cannot be compared side by side. I also like the events (I barely even fly in the MA). We can throw a dart at an air battle in WWII and come up with a pretty damn accurate event, though it might take a couple plane type/model substitutes. There isn't another game that can do events like we do in their current state. Maybe some day.

I think it's a very tough sell to come to a WWII combat flight sim forum and want people to play DCS, which is primarily a combat jet sim game with what...5 or 6 WWII planes?

PS. This is coming from someone who has DCS installed and bought the F-14. I just haven't had the time or desire to sit down and spend hundreds of hours learning a new game and having to read manuals to fly each new type I want to fly. I also have War Thunder, IL-2, and MSFS2020. I'm not a hater.

That’s the secret sauce of AH. Easy action or easy to make your own and the capture map style gameplay.

I think trying to compare it to other sims today is not fair to AH or the other sims. AH is a bit of a unicorn. I’ve played jet games before and I don’t really like it. I downloaded DCS too but wasn’t a fan really. I could see that getting boring easy. AH is the best bang for the buck in WWII dedicated sims.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #601 on: February 16, 2024, 07:35:57 PM »
Yall defending AH are talking to used cars salesmen selling lemons,  talkers, they only act like they are listening.

They will rinse and repeat hoping they finally crack the egg. Low class trips has been pushing this nonsense for a year.. He has a sickness of obsession.

The creep who calls a woman 100 times after she said no 100 times.

Nice won’t cut it with that mental mush.
Trips concept relies on you being polite while he pees in your grandmas beer and laughing about it out of view. He soends every waking hour obsessed with taking your numbers. What a lonely waste of a soul

Ya have 3 gears left use them and crack that throttle. He doesn’t listen to nice.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 07:39:14 PM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #602 on: February 16, 2024, 07:39:53 PM »

The WWII stuff they have, is largely by accident taking it over from a failed indy project. 

Huh?  What Indy Project?
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #603 on: February 16, 2024, 07:45:33 PM »
Learning to fly any aircraft should be work. Becoming a master of that platform should be hard work. The greater its ability and complexity the harder the work. Otherwise there's no satisfaction and it's boring after only a brief time.

--Sun in your eyes
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #604 on: February 16, 2024, 08:27:09 PM »
Learning to fly any aircraft should be work. Becoming a master of that platform should be hard work. The greater its ability and complexity the harder the work. Otherwise there's no satisfaction and it's boring after only a brief time.

--Sun in your eyes
Pretty Manikins is a bucket full of bugs. This sim is 10 times more stable.

How long before you accept the word no? You’ve become a flea. Only punks are as oersistant as you 4 dweebs
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 08:32:03 PM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #605 on: February 16, 2024, 08:31:16 PM »
Huh?  What Indy Project?

There was a 3rd party vendor going to build a Normandy WWII Module on top of DCS.  A GoFundMe kind of thing. 
It went belly up and ED picked up the pieces and made good to the players who had donated to the extent they could and finished as much as they could to protect the DCS brand.

I wasn't here at the time. That is what I pieced together.

[Edit]  Sorry, Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/508681281/dcs-wwii-europe-1944

« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 08:36:15 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #606 on: February 16, 2024, 08:31:33 PM »
I don't know if you are serious in your crusade animl but you are amusing either way.  :aok
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #607 on: February 16, 2024, 08:39:49 PM »
I don't know if you are serious in your crusade animl but you are amusing either way.  :aok

Listen you lil spit wad. You are a obsessive joke. You fly a joke. You soeak a jone, you luve and breathe being a joke. How many times has uour lame butt been told no. I’d say you’re amusing, but illness is not amusing. You’re a con, you sell horse crap
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #608 on: February 16, 2024, 08:46:03 PM »
I doubt there is any sim developer anywhere more dedicated to detail and realism than Heatblur. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nHCKO9Hb-M

I hope you realize whenever you post something like that, Animl strangles a kitten.  I just think you should understand the consequences of your actions.

Don't force Animl to have to kill again.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 09:15:47 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #609 on: February 16, 2024, 08:49:32 PM »
Garbage in garbage out.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #610 on: February 16, 2024, 08:59:29 PM »
Iron's Heatblur post reminded me of some inside baseball I wanted to comment on.

I think ED's use of 3rd party vendors is inspired strategy.  It can occasionally blow up on the like the WWII Normandy debacle, but in the whole has been a game changer for ED.

I don't know if ED helps fund any of those efforts.  I doubt it.  What ED does, is approve the project and give them technical assistance and guarantees that while they are actively working the project another vendor won't jump in and duplicate their effort.  Then they give it ED blessing and leverage their marketing reach to give it an exposure it would have been hard for Heatblur to pay for.  In return, the vendors probably pays a licensing fee and provide content for ED's ecosystem which generates more potential customers for their in-house projects.  With a successful vendor like Heatblur, the vendor can concentrate on the value add content built on top of the ED foundation without having to write the whole sim from scratch and they piggy back on ED reputation.  A virtuous circle.  I guess in a business sense that is a classic franchise model, not in just "franchise" in the use of the term as series of related products.  Less like the IL2 "franchise" but more like a McDonalds "franchise" with independent operator\owners. 

In the mean time the vendor takes the financial risk and has shoulders the burden of the the team costs and most of the risk.  Those are workers ED doesn't have to hire or employ so they are not a liability on their books yet provide them benefit.

ED provides the base simulation engine and API and umbrella brand and marketing leverage.

I don't think IL2 does that, do they?  I guess X-plane and MSFS might be examples of that model.

An interesting strategic choice. In effect, a mutual force multiplier for both vendor and parent sim.  First time I've seen that in a combat sim.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 09:27:08 PM by CptTrips »

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #611 on: February 16, 2024, 09:20:33 PM »
Iron's Heatblur post reminded me of some inside baseball I wanted to comment on.

I think ED use of 3rd party vendors is inspired strategy.  It can occasionally blow up on the like the WWII Normandy debacle, but in the whole has been a game changer for ED.

I don't know if ED help fund any of those efforts.  I doubt it.  What ED does is approve the project and give them technical assistance and guarantees that while they are actively working the project another vendor won't jump in and duplicate their effort.  Then they give it ED blessing and leverage their marketing reach to give it an exposure it would have been hard for them to pay for.  In return, the vendors probably pay a licensing fee and provide content for ED's ecosystem which generates more potential customers for their in-house projects.  With a successful vendor like Heatblur, they can concentrate on the value add content without having to write the whole sim from scratch and they piggy back on ED reputation.  A virtuous circle.  I guess in a business sense that is a classic franchise model, not in just he "franchise" use of the term as series of related products.  Less like the IL2 "franchise" but more like a McDonalds "franchise". 

In the mean time the vendor takes the financial risk and has shoulders the burden of the the team costs and most of the risk.  Those are workers ED doesn't have to hire or employ so they are not a liability on their books yet provide them benefit.

ED provides the base simulation engine and API and umbrella brand and marketing leverage.

I don't think IL2 does that, do they?  I guess X-plane and MSFS might be examples of that model.

An interesting strategic choice. In effect, a mutual force multiplier for both vendor and parent sim.

Mental flake
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #612 on: February 16, 2024, 09:22:49 PM »
beautiful mess
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #613 on: February 16, 2024, 09:28:23 PM »
There was a 3rd party vendor going to build a Normandy WWII Module on top of DCS.  A GoFundMe kind of thing. 
It went belly up and ED picked up the pieces and made good to the players who had donated to the extent they could and finished as much as they could to protect the DCS brand.

I wasn't here at the time. That is what I pieced together.

[Edit]  Sorry, Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/508681281/dcs-wwii-europe-1944

Interesting... I had no idea.  I don't think I was paying a whole lot of attention to DCS in 2014.  Always toyed with it off and on since LOMAC was released.  All I really remember about ww2 DCS hitting my radar was when the I-16 dropped like a bolt out of the blue (much like the JF-17)
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #614 on: February 16, 2024, 09:31:55 PM »
Interesting... I had no idea.  I don't think I was paying a whole lot of attention to DCS in 2014.  Always toyed with it off and on since LOMAC was released.  All I really remember about ww2 DCS hitting my radar was when the I-16 dropped like a bolt out of the blue (much like the JF-17)
Pretty Manikins is a Joke.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks