Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 31277 times)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #615 on: February 16, 2024, 09:32:29 PM »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #616 on: February 16, 2024, 09:36:20 PM »
I think ED's use of 3rd party vendors is inspired strategy.  It can occasionally blow up on the like the WWII Normandy debacle, but in the whole has been a game changer for ED.

It's a good approach.  That said, there are consumer risks associated.  I don't know what the Normandy debacle is/was... but, think Hawk.  That was weird.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #617 on: February 16, 2024, 09:37:28 PM »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #618 on: February 16, 2024, 09:44:30 PM »
Interesting... I had no idea.  I don't think I was paying a whole lot of attention to DCS in 2014.  Always toyed with it off and on since LOMAC was released.  All I really remember about ww2 DCS hitting my radar was when the I-16 dropped like a bolt out of the blue (much like the JF-17)

I wasn't there at that time, but I became curious at various vague references so went digging. 

I actually think ED did a pretty good job cleaning that up.  That wasn't their project.  The whole point of the vendor relationship is the vendor assumes the project risks.  But I think ED was so appalled at the way the donators had been treated they felt obligated (or felt it was necessary to preserve the brand) they did their best to compensate them even though they had no obligation to.  I'm not sure how that worked.  I think maybe some cash and mostly store credits, but that is a guess based on unverified snipits of comment.

So anyway they took over this abandoned Normandy Invasion project so you have a couple of planes that had be sorta working and some art assets and rough a map.  So they finished up what they could, but That was never par of ED's WWII strategy.

I know the CEO, Nick Grey, is supposed to be a WWII fanatic especially Battle of Britain and Pacific Theater.  I was expecting BoB to be their next play, but with Combat Pilot on the horizon, I think they are making a strategic re-vectoring toward PTO to not give Combat Pilot the advantage of an unfulfilled niche to get a foothold in.  I believe mainly because Williams has signaled that he is going to be moving more toward high-fidelity that IL2 was and that startes to threaten DCS' high-fidelity supremacy.

So it seems like they have changed direction but I think it is more they had an distraction interruption they had to go clean up and now are getting back on their originally planned campaign. And Combat Pilot made the choice obvious with of their next planned projects they should start first.   

After PTO, I'd expect a BoB. 

Then I'd expect them to go back to ETO and continue the later war planes after Normandy. 

That's my bet.  I could be wrong.  It's going to be entertaining to watch. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #619 on: February 16, 2024, 09:48:09 PM »
The sent of wet dogs and fleas
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 09:50:17 PM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #620 on: February 16, 2024, 09:49:29 PM »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #621 on: February 16, 2024, 09:54:49 PM »
After PTO, I'd expect a BoB. 

Considering the speed ED moves and considering my age... I doubt I'll ever be close to happy with their WW2 plane set.  Maybe they'll listen to Enigma and do up a bunch of FC3 type stuff.  I really think they'd see some serious movement their direction if they did.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #622 on: February 16, 2024, 09:55:50 PM »
Considering the speed ED moves and considering my age... I doubt I'll ever be close to happy with their WW2 plane set.  Maybe they'll listen to Enigma and do up a bunch of FC3 type stuff.  I really think they'd see some serious movement their direction if they did.

I wasn't suggesting we'd live to see it.

:rofl
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #623 on: February 16, 2024, 09:56:42 PM »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #624 on: February 16, 2024, 10:07:04 PM »

Hahaha, thats never going to happen. Dev is a stinking mess of lies. , they know it, they can’t take criticism. Some of the worst programmers in the genre. WT has better programming. These morons took on stuff WAY over their heads, and it shows. Trippy poured investment into crap, now he’s panicing
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 10:10:26 PM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #625 on: February 16, 2024, 10:35:52 PM »
Hahaha, thats never going to happen. Dev is a stinking mess of lies. , they know it, they can’t take criticism. Some of the worst programmers in the genre. WT has better programming. These morons took on stuff WAY over their heads, and it shows. Trippy poured investment into crap, now he’s panicing

FWIW, DCS is pretty dang good, all things considered. Further, a lot of the problems presented in that 4yr old video you keep using to fault DCS have been satisfactorily addressed... and those "morons" actively work on whatever problems are currently present (which I honestly couldn't tell you, as I don't notice many issues with any of it).  DCS has its faults, as does every "Combat Flight Sim", including AH.  The difference between DCS & AH (IMO) is DCS is much more a simulation while AH is solidly a game (graphics don't turn me on).  They're different beasts altogether.  And I think that's the point most are missing.  HT defined AH as a Game long ago.  Wags defined DCS as a Flight Simulation Game.  This may seem trivial, but it speaks volumes to those willing to listen.  Regardless of whose skimming what or where, I sincerely doubt there will ever be a mad rush from AH to DCS.  AH to War Thunder... ya, that might easily happen with just minor changes to WT's business model.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #626 on: February 16, 2024, 10:38:25 PM »
FWIW, DCS is pretty dang good, all things considered. Further, a lot of the problems presented in that 4yr old video you keep using to fault DCS have been satisfactorily addressed... and those "morons" actively work on whatever problems are currently present (which I honestly couldn't tell you, as I don't notice many issues with any of it).  DCS has its faults, as does every "Combat Flight Sim", including AH.  The difference between DCS & AH (IMO) is DCS is much more a simulation while AH is solidly a game (graphics don't turn me on).  They're different beasts altogether.  And I think that's the point most are missing.  HT defined AH as a Game long ago.  Wags defined DCS as a Flight Simulation Game.  This may seem trivial, but it speaks volumes to those willing to listen.  Regardless of whose skimming what or where, I sincerely doubt there will ever be a mad rush from AH to DCS.  AH to War Thunder... ya, that might easily happen with just minor changes to WT's business model.

Its pretty, thats all there is to it.
500k reports of bugs. Go there, play your white glove buckets of bugs. Don’t do it here, this id not pretty manikins bbs. Grow some class snd respect. Until then, i’m a wirst nightmare
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #627 on: February 16, 2024, 10:59:53 PM »
Its pretty, thats all there is to it.
500k reports of bugs. Go there, play your white glove buckets of bugs. Don’t do it here, this id not pretty manikins bbs. Grow some class snd respect. Until then, i’m a wirst nightmare

I don't notice many bugs.  There's a level of perfection demanded by the DCS base thats incomparable to AH = viola: bug reports.  This alone can be a "roadblock" to new pileits, a demanding community.  Well, it's hard too... which is a bigger roadblock.

And I don't know what a wrist nightmare is but... get a room. 

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #628 on: February 16, 2024, 11:19:03 PM »
The difference between DCS & AH (IMO) is DCS is much more a simulation while AH is solidly a game (graphics don't turn me on).  They're different beasts altogether. 

Agreed.

- oldman

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #629 on: February 16, 2024, 11:22:41 PM »
AH to War Thunder... ya, that might easily happen with just minor changes to WT's business model.

How so? I thought WT was on the opposite end of the spectrum from DCS. What business model changes would make this happen?