Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 31099 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #675 on: February 19, 2024, 08:45:31 AM »
What some are calling realism here sounds like a giant PITA to deal with during my hour of evening flight sim fun...

And WT guys probably say the same thing about AH. ;)

It's a continuum.  That's why there are different sims at different points in the graph.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #676 on: February 19, 2024, 10:25:41 AM »
I make DCS videos occasionally and post on youtube. They are almost always off the cuff. I don't script them or polish them, ever. When I learn something I think would be useful I share it. As expected, I'm lucky to get a thousand views, most far less. Some folks get tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of views so the interest in DCS is there. I make a stupid video of something from MSFS and I get a thousand views in a day. Not making a point, just an observation.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #677 on: February 19, 2024, 10:30:34 AM »
Someone should probably take my alt-F9 keys away.  :D
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #678 on: February 19, 2024, 10:40:01 AM »
Their guys came up with the giant skins library for the game too.

I just realized this the other day when I go bounced by a P-38 painted like a candy cane!

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #679 on: February 19, 2024, 02:40:40 PM »
I wasn't aware IL-2 used SRS.  Thought it was strictly DCS.  Gonna have to dig into SRS as well.

I have been using Teamspeak with my friends for flying, because it is independent of the programs and we can meet up prior to starting any session.  In game the DCS voice comms are coming along and I like that the comms clarity is based on the technological state of the radios.  Also like that comm range is affected by distance and terrain.  Flew with a friend last night and lost contact with him when he took damage to his radio.  Nice touch of immersion.

FYI, SRS for IL-2 is a dedicated version of SRS.  I think the Combat Box website has a link to it (which I think it on Github, I think).

I've yet to figure out if SRS and DCS In-Game-Vox is a either or thing, or they conflict, or who's using what.  I do know the DCS MP list has a Vox Enabled checkbox per server now.  I do a lot of time in Hoggit Training and almost never hear anyone on SRS... but that's not saying much as it's relatively rare on most any server I've been on save Enigma's ECW where it can (could) literally be TOO much.  (can't speak to Growling Sidewinders as the missile fling-n-run thing is a drag)
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #680 on: February 19, 2024, 03:37:52 PM »
FYI, SRS for IL-2 is a dedicated version of SRS.  I think the Combat Box website has a link to it (which I think it on Github, I think).

I've yet to figure out if SRS and DCS In-Game-Vox is a either or thing, or they conflict, or who's using what.  I do know the DCS MP list has a Vox Enabled checkbox per server now.  I do a lot of time in Hoggit Training and almost never hear anyone on SRS... but that's not saying much as it's relatively rare on most any server I've been on save Enigma's ECW where it can (could) literally be TOO much.  (can't speak to Growling Sidewinders as the missile fling-n-run thing is a drag)

From the videos I've seen by Growling Sidewinder I would guess that if you get above like 25ft AGL you'd be dead. LOL!

Seems like with all that missile flinging that those guys have gotten good at flying below the tree line to avoid all those missiles.

One of my favorites was the one were he was running around on the deck with a Mig-21 with his radar off ambushing people and then ran out of gas and had to eject within sight of the runway.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #681 on: February 19, 2024, 03:56:06 PM »
From the videos I've seen by Growling Sidewinder I would guess that if you get above like 25ft AGL you'd be dead. LOL!

Seems like with all that missile flinging that those guys have gotten good at flying below the tree line to avoid all those missiles.

One of my favorites was the one were he was running around on the deck with a Mig-21 with his radar off ambushing people and then ran out of gas and had to eject within sight of the runway.

Especially if you are trying to get inside a SAM's min launch distance for a popup.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #682 on: February 19, 2024, 04:15:06 PM »
Nice! Ya that's that crazy tree skimming I was talking about. The thing I liked best about the video is when they added music is was in the background and not overpowering. I'm not sure why so many think their favorite soundtrack blocking out all the other sounds is something others will like.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #683 on: February 19, 2024, 04:20:32 PM »
Nice! Ya that's that crazy tree skimming I was talking about. The thing I liked best about the video is when they added music is was in the background and not overpowering. I'm not sure why so many think their favorite soundtrack blocking out all the other sounds is something others will like.

I didn't think it needed any music but at least it was unintrusive.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #684 on: February 19, 2024, 06:14:10 PM »

Especially if you are trying to get inside a SAM's min launch distance for a popup.

I don't think I've ~ever~ caught the 3-wire.  If I did, I didn't notice.  I've run out of gas before coming to a full stop a couple times... that's neat.  I can spend days just landing & taking off a Carrier. 

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #685 on: February 19, 2024, 07:28:02 PM »
Well you're is a mirror into yourself. I can post 20 threads where you turn them into 15 page drama's everyone got sick of, yet you repeated it faithfully. You're you're own worst nightmare. Ignored by many.

So someone makes a thread to discuss other games

this guy takes it personally and does everything he can to hate on other games. In a thread that is about other games.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #686 on: February 19, 2024, 08:23:18 PM »
I can spend days just landing & taking off a Carrier.

It looks like a total blast, but I think I'll wait for the Corsair\Enterprise class carrier.

;)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #687 on: February 19, 2024, 08:24:05 PM »

Well that didn't age well.

lol

Did I imagine that or did I jsut watch that video an hour ago.

:uhoh

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #688 on: February 19, 2024, 08:31:45 PM »
It looks like a total blast, but I think I'll wait for the Corsair\Enterprise class carrier.

;)

It's DCS.  That could be easily be some time around the turn of the century.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #689 on: February 19, 2024, 08:45:28 PM »
It's DCS.  That could be easily be some time around the turn of the century.

True. ;)

Still before AH will get the next new plane. ;)