Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 31127 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #705 on: February 23, 2024, 10:40:15 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. I'll pick up the 109K-4 or the Super Sabre in the next couple of days so I can try it out at some point.

And the huey.  You really need a huey. ;)
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #706 on: February 23, 2024, 10:53:12 AM »
That's where my grandfather and granduncles were. Two of them came back in coffin. Also, my aunt's husband acted there as a gunner in war booty T34/85. He made it in one piece.
They must have really given the Russians a bloody nose to make them decide that they'd had enough. :)

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #707 on: February 23, 2024, 04:27:06 PM »
They must have really given the Russians a bloody nose to make them decide that they'd had enough. :)

Well, like at Karelian Isthmus at summer 1944, Finnish StuG III G assault guns knocked out total 87 Soviet tanks and assault guns while own combat losses were only 8 vehicles. At least 3 of them were blown up by their own crew because of mechanical failures, to prevent Russians having them.

I spent a lot of time at my grandfathers farm when I was a kid and he never talked about the war, but what I heard from other sources, he had turned some Soviet tanks to scrap metal with some melee weapons. He was an infantryman.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #708 on: February 24, 2024, 01:24:08 AM »
Very impressive for sure. I'm doubtful there are many countries who have men like that these says.

True, most of the guys that were involved in something like this don't talk much. The only place I've been able to get vets to talk about the war is at the VFW and it's usually rather limited as to what they would say. I would try to ask them general questions and nothing specific to get them to talk.

The best way I can think of describing it after talking to many combat vets from various wars is that it was like a darkness. Sometimes they were willing to step to the edge of the darkness that they lived with every day. Most of the time they tried to stay away from it as best they could.

I have also found that most of these guys didn't have veterans hats and t-shirts and license plates. They tended to look down on anybody who "advertised" their veteran status.

Based on my experiences of talking to hard men like these and seeing the children of today I believe the US is screwed if we ever have to fight a real war.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #709 on: February 24, 2024, 07:14:08 AM »
^ They were strong men in the real meaning of the word. Strong people like that turn bad times to good. Good times create weak ones, which create bad times. And because of that, strong ones emerge. It's a cycle and pretty easy to see, in which stage of it we are now.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #710 on: February 24, 2024, 01:38:19 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I'll pick up the 109K-4 or the Super Sabre in the next couple of days so I can try it out at some point.

After tomorrow there is no more discount for first time players.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #711 on: February 24, 2024, 02:06:08 PM »
After tomorrow there is no more discount for first time players.

I'm going to take this move as a good sign regarding the future of DCS.

Could be the reverse, of course.  But I'm a glass half spilled kinda guy.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #712 on: February 24, 2024, 02:11:32 PM »
Bah. I got busy and hadn't messed around with DCS. I was going to buy that plane set I discussed before but it didn't happen.
Can somebody give me a recommendation as to what to buy? I'd like to get the best bang for the buck.
Also, do I buy them in the game or on the website like IL2?

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #713 on: February 24, 2024, 03:02:35 PM »
Bah. I got busy and hadn't messed around with DCS. I was going to buy that plane set I discussed before but it didn't happen.
Can somebody give me a recommendation as to what to buy? I'd like to get the best bang for the buck.

On sale?  I would recommend not buying unless on sale.  They happen 4 times a year.  Don't be dumb like me. ;)

You can buy them on Steam or directly through the companies website.  I suggest direct.

Past that, it depends on what you want to do?  Modern jets? Cold War Jets?  Helos?  Warbirds?  You will not find an WWII AH like experience in DCS currently.  I think IL2 GB or 1946 would be closer, but I can't say, I don't fly there.  (Own them though. ;))

If you miss the sale, then I'd suggest DL the free client and start getting a feel with the two free airframes and download some of the better mods ( a couple of pages back) and just start enjoying them and acclimating to DCS while you wait for the next sale.  One every 3 mo. 

You can also use that period to do free trials of airframes and repeat the trials every 6 mo.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 03:10:38 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #714 on: February 24, 2024, 03:13:32 PM »

What do you want to do?  WWII, Korea, Modern?

Don't do Steam.  Dude, DO NOT DO STEAM.  No benefit whatsoever.  It's unified now (pretty sure) so it doesn't really matter.  All you get with Steam is an extra cog in the wheel with the possibility of hiccups>>>>like not having access to the latest A/C release until 6mo after the fact unless you dl a second instance of OB_DCS or convert to OpenBeta blah blah blah.

Download DCS World from the ED website.  No buying involved, it's free.  Now you will have everything you need to get started... Cockasses map & 2 Planes (TF-51 & Su-25T... I don't think you get guns with Pony, not sure on Frogfoot, doesn't matter).

You can buy individual A/C from the Website OR The in-game "Module Manager" (higly intuitive) will link you out to the Website for purchase of Aircraft. (you can buy each of them individually way cheap)

Flaming Cliffs 3 comes with a bunch of good aircraft, SIMPLE Flight Model, Non-Clickable Cockpits... it's a good purchase for the basics.

All the other aircraft are simply a matter of choice/preference.  Some are harder than others.

USE these: https://chucksguides.com/  <<<very, very useful

Lastly... give me a yell.  I can walk you through the tough spots, online/in-game if you like.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 03:20:38 PM by Tumor »

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #715 on: February 24, 2024, 03:15:12 PM »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #716 on: February 24, 2024, 03:21:16 PM »
Seems Trips told me you can't do the trials through Steam. I have over 500 games on Steam including DCS but I don't play DCS through Steam. Don't be like Trips.  ;)
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #717 on: February 24, 2024, 03:22:59 PM »
Don't be like Trips.  ;)

Usually sound advice. ;)

Right, as far as I think I was told you can't do trials and you don't earn miles if going through Steam. 

Go direct.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #718 on: February 24, 2024, 03:23:47 PM »
If you have any interest in Jets at all I'd buy the F-16 or F-18. Both are multi-role. I have both. I like the F-16 the best but I'm retired AF.

Carrier ops is much fun though.

There are many youtube videos showing how to everything in these planes. I made a few myself.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 03:33:38 PM by AKIron »
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #719 on: February 24, 2024, 03:38:23 PM »
Carrier ops is much fun though.

Yep. Carrier Ops adds an entire other level of goodness.  To clarify, you do not NEED/HAVE to have the SuperCarrier... you just won't get all the fancy deck-crew stuff with the standard ones.