Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 31213 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #795 on: February 29, 2024, 04:04:36 PM »
All true..just found it funny stashed in the middle of a thread describing the realism of AHs competition

Eagler

From a programmers point of view there is no difference than a HOTAS.  It is a device with an id and buttons and axis that can be mapped.

Some people use twisty sticks instead of pedals.  The code doesn't care.  And supporting that doesn't make the game less realistic.  Neither DCS nor AH. 

Realism from the codes point of view is what FM results from control inputs. 

What devices you decide to map to the inputs is not their concern.  The FM is the same either way.  It DCS doesn't dumb it down for controllers. 

Some players here fly with mouse and keyboard.  I don't think that makes AH less realistic a sim.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #796 on: February 29, 2024, 04:14:16 PM »
It makes the experience less realistic imo

Like playing a car sim with a joystick  :joystick:

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #797 on: February 29, 2024, 04:19:00 PM »
It makes the experience less realistic imo

Like playing a car sim with a joystick  :joystick:

Eagler

I agree from the player experience point of view.  But that is the players choice.  But it doesn't effect the realism the code produces.

Are you suggesting that AH and DCS shouldn't allow those to be mapped to anything?

IS AH promoting less realism by supporting them?

I think most sims somewhere have a statement that "for best experience use joystick .."  etc, etc.

But to each their own.  I wouldn't fly with mouse and keyboard either.  Doesn't Lazzer tho?

« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 04:22:44 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Online RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #798 on: February 29, 2024, 04:27:59 PM »
All true..just found it funny stashed in the middle of a thread describing the realism of AHs competition

Eagler

There is no competition. Aces High is Airbourne Minecraft in comparison. One person keeps bringing up bugs that DCS USED to have, like Aces High didn't have a ton of bugs on its way to what it is now.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #799 on: February 29, 2024, 04:58:07 PM »
There is no competition. Aces High is Airbourne Minecraft in comparison. One person keeps bringing up bugs that DCS USED to have, like Aces High didn't have a ton of bugs on its way to what it is now.

Sure, no competition at all if all you want to do is fly around and look at the pretty graphics.

On the other hand if you want to be on a team against 40-50 other players then AH is where you want to be, because there isnt any competition when it comes to all out battles on the Land Sea, and Air!  :neener:

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #800 on: February 29, 2024, 05:02:12 PM »
because there isnt any competition when it comes to all out battles on the Land Sea, and Air!  :neener:

I think AH has the better MMOG server tech.

But if there is no competition, one wonders where the customers are at? Or why 600 of them left?

Online RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #801 on: February 29, 2024, 05:08:16 PM »
Sure, no competition at all if all you want to do is fly around and look at the pretty graphics.

On the other hand if you want to be on a team against 40-50 other players then AH is where you want to be, because there isnt any competition when it comes to all out battles on the Land Sea, and Air!  :neener:

with three countries, and the crying about that is never ending. Some of you have had limited experience with DCS and shows. Go in Enigmas cold war server, Growling sidewinders servers for example. 24/7 non stop fighting. On average there is 2,000+ active players at all times. US server, Europe servers, Chinese servers.

I myself was raised on Aces High PvP and that is all I want to do now. And there is a lot of action out there.

CO--The Bad Guys

Online Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #802 on: February 29, 2024, 05:11:11 PM »
with three countries, and the crying about that is never ending. Some of you have had limited experience with DCS and shows. Go in Enigmas cold war server, Growling sidewinders servers for example. 24/7 non stop fighting. On average there is 2,000+ active players at all times. US server, Europe servers, Chinese servers.

I myself was raised on Aces High PvP and that is all I want to do now. And there is a lot of action out there.

Flying the same 2-3 planes. Super fun!

I tried it, wasn’t for me. Don’t care for jets or other stuff it has. I used to play Lock On a lot in my youth but I over it I guess.

Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #803 on: February 29, 2024, 05:13:04 PM »
Brother and I just spent a couple hours today HARMing SAM sites and Missiling Migs in Vipers. Then couple hours doing carrier landings in Hornets. We enjoy that sort of thing.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Online RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #804 on: February 29, 2024, 05:34:08 PM »
Brother and I just spent a couple hours today HARMing SAM sites and Missiling Migs in Vipers. Then couple hours doing carrier landings in Hornets. We enjoy that sort of thing.

But that is PvE, which is just practice to me if you're not looking over your shoulder.

Dadtallica,
I have over 1,000 hours in the UH-1H and it never gets old. The Huey module costs $50 but is well worth 100 times that.

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #805 on: February 29, 2024, 06:03:33 PM »
I used to enjoy PvP more and still do to a lesser degree. Teaming with real people against AI has less drama.

Online Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #806 on: February 29, 2024, 06:06:22 PM »
But that is PvE, which is just practice to me if you're not looking over your shoulder.

Dadtallica,
I have over 1,000 hours in the UH-1H and it never gets old. The Huey module costs $50 but is well worth 100 times that.

Not for me thanks.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #807 on: February 29, 2024, 06:52:10 PM »
I bought the F-18 module long ago but haven't spent much time in it. Discovered today that when the takeoff procedure says "half flaps" it means half flaps. Not auto, not full. My Warthog throttle has a three position switch which is read on startup. In case you run into this:

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #808 on: February 29, 2024, 07:32:43 PM »
All part of that super realism they are going for lol

Eagle

Gamers can ruin a pile of manure
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #809 on: February 29, 2024, 09:06:43 PM »

2000+ players over how many servers? 1000 maybe  :rolleyes:

How come you dont see you tube videos of all kinds of action in DSC?  At most I have seen are a couple planes fighting a couple of planes with horrible tactics, missed shots, and when they do score hits, very little looking damage.