Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 31354 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #855 on: March 02, 2024, 05:07:20 PM »
My vids look like that because I have the game stripped down for VR performance.

Honestly, dude, just admit it.  The terrain is so bad in DCS, it's embarrassing.

It looks like...Minecraft. ;)

« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 05:51:44 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #856 on: March 02, 2024, 05:18:26 PM »
The only valid argument for AH3 over IL-2 or DCS is the mostly well stocked multiplayer server. Other arguments are weak and easily disputed. But, ready to go multiplayer is a good argument. No need for another.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #857 on: March 02, 2024, 05:22:57 PM »
The only valid argument for AH3 over IL-2 or DCS is the mostly well stocked multiplayer server. Other arguments are weak and easily disputed. But, ready to go multiplayer is a good argument. No need for another.

Not only that, but I doubt their server implementation is designed to support as many players as HTC server tech.  They just weren't designed for that from page 1.  AH was.

Enigma's server used to be pegged at 84 players, with a line waiting to get in.  But they were having a lot of trouble with that.  They have been pulling that back to 60.  DCS server is an insane memory hog.  I shudder to think of the mem usage with 80 players.

They can eventually improve that, but they are not there now.  I suspect some serious redesign would be required.

I'd love to see DCS client on HTC server tech.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 05:36:38 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #858 on: March 02, 2024, 05:41:46 PM »
Way back in the early 20 aughts I told Curly I thought IL-2 looked better than AH. We had a friendly disagreement. I told him then I wouldn't mind seeing HTC merge with IL-2 for the AH server.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #859 on: March 02, 2024, 05:46:26 PM »
Way back in the early 20 aughts I told Curly I thought IL-2 looked better than AH. We had a friendly disagreement. I told him then I wouldn't mind seeing HTC merge with IL-2 for the AH server.

Or Combat Pilot with VC deep pockets just buys HTC server tech to leap frog development instead of starting from scratch.  And HT gets a retirement exit strategy.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #860 on: March 02, 2024, 05:47:18 PM »
If Hitech got permission to alter the DCS server code, eliminating traffic he thought unnecessary, and optimizing the rest, he might find an audience willing to pay.

Online RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #861 on: March 02, 2024, 06:19:23 PM »
This is a video from the 104th server. PvP quick fights and lots of fight to be had.

Persian gulf map looks great even with my settings low for VR

https://youtu.be/a0B1qaHxRYk
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #862 on: March 02, 2024, 06:55:12 PM »
In fact, it's not even that... it's the "Game-ER" end that repulses me.  I got almost 20yrs out of AH, and I appreciate that.  The game itself did not turn me away... the gam-ers, the game-the-game styles, Lag-bandits & never-ending-energy stuff etc, that's what burned my excitement. Certain attitudes and most certainly certain players (nobody in this thread unless there's a shade I don't know about) burned AH for me.

In the Robin Olds book "Fighter Pilot" there is a passage I just came across:

"Fighter pilot is not just a description, it's an attitude; it's cockiness, it's aggressiveness, it's self-confidence.  It is a streak of rebelliousness and competitiveness.  But there's something else; there's a spark.  There's a desire to be good, to do well in the eyes of your peers and your commander, and in your own mind, to be second to no one.  The sky is your playground and competitiveness is your life."

AW, Warbirds, and AH each had this attitude running throughout it's player-base during their peak.  Sadly for me, AH lost this attitude in the MA long ago.  You can still find it in FSO and Monday Night Madness events, but those numbers keep dwindling.  THAT was the only reason I started looking outside of AH and I was pretty sure it no longer existed.  I am VERY happy that I was wrong and find that attitude alive and kicking in DCS.  Again this is what I found FOR ME.  Others still find that in AH, or IL-2 and that is great. 

This genre should motivate you to read, watch documentaries, meet up with fellow players in person, go to air museums, all in a thirst to learn and get better.  To settle for anything less is missing out.  The only competition between AH, IL-2, or DCS is in its ability to inspire this in you personally.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #863 on: March 02, 2024, 07:10:19 PM »
An interlude

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #864 on: March 02, 2024, 07:34:55 PM »

Well, The Planeset rocks in AH.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #865 on: March 02, 2024, 07:47:57 PM »
Well, The Planeset rocks in AH.

Yeah, there is that. The differences are more idealistic than realistic imo though.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #866 on: March 02, 2024, 09:42:05 PM »
Yeah, there is that. The differences are more idealistic than realistic imo though.

That is an area I think ED is screwing up.

They have had such success with the FC3 as a feeder planeset.  Cheap, easier.  They should have every plane under the sun available in low fidelity FC3 level free with the base game.  Then you can buy the High fidelity version to squeeze out the final bit of performance at an increased cost of money and effort.  Not exactly pay-2-win.  You still have to learn to use the high fidelity to get all the benefit.  Like the difference will stall limiter and such on AH. 

As far as I know, they are not planning any more low fidelity.  They have decided high fidelity is their "brand".  I get it.  Especially for a company that makes a non-trivial portion of their income from military trainers.  They want to maintain that top realism, high fidelity reputation.  But the flip side it takes so long to get a plane developed. 

In life and engineering, there are seldom pure solutions.  Mostly just trade-offs.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #867 on: March 03, 2024, 05:25:28 AM »

As far as I know, they are not planning any more low fidelity.  They have decided high fidelity is their "brand".  I get it.  Especially for a company that makes a non-trivial portion of their income from military trainers.  They want to maintain that top realism, high fidelity reputation.  But the flip side it takes so long to get a plane developed. 

As late as last year, 9L was saying Modern Air Combat was still on the table.  IF they ever do it... it'll take off, IF they keep adding platforms.  I figure it's a back-burner thing for them, like a fallback in the event the current iteration of DCS takes a dump.   Seem's like Wags may have made brief mention of it in an interview on C.W. Lemoine's Youboob.
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/newsletters/cb35c37d328ed364a2659581d6a2e62a/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 05:29:10 AM by Tumor »
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #868 on: March 03, 2024, 05:53:24 AM »
The numbers in MNM are actually growing lately

The AK'S have been showing up and it's been more of a blast than normal

Jaeger1 always keeps it fun

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #869 on: March 03, 2024, 07:31:54 AM »
The numbers in MNM are actually growing lately

The AK'S have been showing up and it's been more of a blast than normal

Jaeger1 always keeps it fun

Eagler

That is encouraging.  HiTech should look at MNM and try to figure out how to import that spirit into the MA. 

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills