Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 31241 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #960 on: March 12, 2024, 03:13:46 PM »
I bought the DCS P-47. I must be doing something wrong because it feels very underpowered.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #961 on: March 12, 2024, 03:24:38 PM »
I bought the DCS P-47. I must be doing something wrong because it feels very underpowered.

Seemed that way to me at 28k but I haven't gone through the training.  I suspect there was a supercharger or something that maybe I needed to switch on.  The Jug is supposed to have the most complex engine management compared to the other current warbirds.

Have you done the training missions?
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #962 on: March 12, 2024, 03:34:14 PM »
I haven't done any training missions. Will have to check them out.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #963 on: March 12, 2024, 04:00:12 PM »
I haven't done any training missions. Will have to check them out.

Me either.  I'm working on the Spit now. 
Check Chuck's guide. 
There is a picture of a Boost supercharger control (Marked "B") I never touched.  I think above 12k there is a lock you can flip that will synch it with changes in the throttle.  I bet not working that up high is what was holding me back.

See part 7
https://chucksguides.com/aircraft/dcs/p-47d/

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Online RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #964 on: March 12, 2024, 06:16:26 PM »
Seemed that way to me at 28k but I haven't gone through the training.  I suspect there was a supercharger or something that maybe I needed to switch on.  The Jug is supposed to have the most complex engine management compared to the other current warbirds.

Have you done the training missions?

According to the manual, the supercharger is used for take-off then not again until over 12,000 feet.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #965 on: March 12, 2024, 06:29:10 PM »
According to the manual, the supercharger is used for take-off then not again until over 12,000 feet.

Makes sense.

I was at 28k and I don't think it was on at all or not all the way, so I think that's why I was bogging.  I was like WTF?  The jug should be a boss up here!

So that latch you'd want to disconnect after you drop below 12k.

Always something to learn. ;)
Then I have to remember it. ;)

Online hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #966 on: March 12, 2024, 06:47:23 PM »
I know IL2 is not DCS but I know that it took me a bit to figure our all the stuff on it so I can imagine DCS would be even more tough.

In order of things that I figured out that was slowing me down:
Cowl flaps (these things are like air brakes when you open them all the way)
Supercharger settings (this one is kinda cool cause you can actually hear the supercharger spool up)
Mixture (I didn't realize that you had to lean it as you got higher)

This is why I like flying the German planes. In my experience there's not a whole lot to do if you just watch your gauges and don't try to run the 109 wide open.

BTW looks like IL2 is having another sale if if anybody is looking to pick some IL2 stuff up.

Offline TryHard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #967 on: March 12, 2024, 07:07:22 PM »

Most allied planes after 1941 had throttle body fuel injection so the auto lean was for cruise regardless of altitude and auto rich for combat/take off power again at any altitude. Full rich was for WEP on some aircraft and also as a fail safe on others incase the automatic altitude mixture control system failed.

EDIT: In other words if you're running auto lean at full military power at say 25k you are turning your engine into a blowtorch that melts pistons  :salute

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #968 on: March 12, 2024, 07:08:09 PM »
I know IL2 is not DCS but I know that it took me a bit to figure our all the stuff on it so I can imagine DCS would be even more tough.

In order of things that I figured out that was slowing me down:
Cowl flaps (these things are like air brakes when you open them all the way)
Supercharger settings (this one is kinda cool cause you can actually hear the supercharger spool up)

This is why I like flying the German planes. In my experience there's not a whole lot to do if you just watch your gauges and don't try to run the 109 wide open.

BTW looks like IL2 is having another sale if if anybody is looking to pick some IL2 stuff up.

Yeah, I wasn't worried considering I hadn't done any training on it yet.  ;)

The Dora and Pony are nice as they handle a lot of that for you if the Jug is a little too much pilot load for ya. 

Not cheating, that is how they were designed.  Those are still my favorite above 10k.
Spit IX if I am going to be staying below 10k.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #969 on: March 12, 2024, 07:09:40 PM »
Most allied planes after 1941 had throttle body fuel injection so the auto lean was for cruise regardless of altitude and auto rich for combat/take off power again at any altitude. Full rich was for WEP on some aircraft and also as a fail safe on others incase the automatic altitude mixture control system failed.

:aok

I get to all that as soon as I can land my spit without dragging a wingtip. ;)

Those will buff out though.  No pieces came off.   I'll jsut use grass fields for a while. :rofl

Online hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #970 on: March 12, 2024, 07:10:36 PM »

EDIT: In other words if you're running auto lean at full military power at say 25k you are turning your engine into a blowtorch that melts pistons  :salute
Good to know. I'm still learning. I am good at destroying engines if that counts for anything :)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #971 on: March 12, 2024, 08:06:49 PM »
Sounds about as exciting as MSFS 98 , or reading Reader’s Digest.

No winder none you ever talk about being in a actual fight.

True snore material ya got goin here.

Don’t forget to hit the report button.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Online RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #972 on: March 12, 2024, 08:25:16 PM »

Same applies for flaps on the P-47, cowl flaps cannot be open in a dive or you will melt the pistons.

And for those that want PvP action, try the Wolfpack PvP server.

https://youtu.be/lcMWqW9p3Kg?si=pbNj1Z5j24xyeExX
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #973 on: March 12, 2024, 08:29:56 PM »
cowl flaps cannot be open in a dive or you will melt the pistons.

Melt the pistons, with the cowl flaps open?  How does that happen?  Shock cooling I can understand, but overheating...?

- Perplexed Oldman

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #974 on: March 12, 2024, 09:03:40 PM »
Same applies for flaps on the P-47, cowl flaps cannot be open in a dive or you will melt the pistons.

And for those that want PvP action, try the Wolfpack PvP server.

https://youtu.be/lcMWqW9p3Kg?si=pbNj1Z5j24xyeExX

Did that Bruh just shoot down a friendly?   :rofl  The other half the time I think they were chasing each other.
I was like...dude that sure looks like a spit to me.  Am I not seeing that right?  lol
Classic.  "I sure wish I could tell who's who up here!"  Commences to spray at what ever that shape is out in front of him.
The other prolly wasn't trying to attack him just get on his six as the only safe place until the noob figured out who is who.
Lucky is was mg fire.  If that had been a sidewinder... :rofl

Yeah.  That would be me.  :D  We need some innovation on labels to find a compromise.I guess that would be just dot labels which a pretty subtle but would have prolly avoided this easier.