Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 31296 times)

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #975 on: March 12, 2024, 09:33:18 PM »

Melt the pistons, with the cowl flaps open?  How does that happen?  Shock cooling I can understand, but overheating...?

- Perplexed Oldman

I'm thinking the cylinders cool and contract at a faster rate than the pistons with the cowls open in a high alt dive and thus overheat with the now added friction and loss of oil viscosity?

Either that or the thingies get all bamboozled and begin shredding under the bodacious pressure and bummage brought on by righteous altitude subtraction.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #976 on: March 13, 2024, 04:22:34 AM »
I'm thinking the cylinders cool and contract at a faster rate than the pistons with the cowls open in a high alt dive and thus overheat with the now added friction and loss of oil viscosity?

Either that or the thingies get all bamboozled and begin shredding under the bodacious pressure and bummage brought on by righteous altitude subtraction.

With air cooled radial, cylinders cools faster than pistons, they shrink while pistons don't, clearance disappears and engine seizes, I presume.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #977 on: March 13, 2024, 10:00:10 AM »
And for those that want PvP action, try the Wolfpack PvP server.

I'm working my way up to trying the Wolfpack.

I want to try ECW too.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #978 on: March 13, 2024, 10:06:23 AM »
Nice quick review on the Pimax Crystal from a real life Apache pilot.  I have had mine for over 8 months and it truly is the next step in "state of the art". 

Another benefit of the modern flight sims is that there are real life fighter pilots flying the sim.  AH used to have that, but sadly time has caught up with most WWII veterans.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #979 on: March 13, 2024, 10:17:15 AM »
Brother loves his Pimax Crystal. You need a powerful GPU to get a smooth experience from it though.

He recently brought me his old Reverb G2 and Point Ctrl to troubleshoot because he couldn't get the Point Ctrl working right. Moves very erratically. I decided to check the camera lens to see if it was clean. Wait, is that a tiny piece of protective cellophane stuck on the lens? Yes, yes it was. Going back to him today. :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 10:20:52 AM by AKIron »
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #980 on: March 13, 2024, 10:28:50 AM »
Brother loves his Pimax Crystal. You need a powerful GPU to get a smooth experience from it though.

He recently brought me his old Reverb G2 and Point Ctrl to troubleshoot because he couldn't get the Point Ctrl working right. Moves very erratically. I decided to check the camera lens to see if it was clean. Wait, is that a tiny piece of protective cellophane stuck on the lens? Yes, yes it was. Going back to him today. :)

You da man. ;)

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #981 on: March 13, 2024, 10:43:47 AM »
 :rofl

Point Ctrl looks like it will work well in DCS. Anyone tried Leap Motion?

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #982 on: March 13, 2024, 11:26:59 AM »
Seems like this thread has run its course.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #983 on: March 13, 2024, 11:39:38 AM »
Tell Animl to do it.  Figure he'd be all over something like that.... after he gets over his Myocardial Infarction at a suggestion (or you) that isn't designed to sabotage AH.

Why would I run something you yourselves won’t hold these dcs convos on dcs forums or discord pages? Oxymoron.

Both the game and discord must suck, you’re here, not there.

I don’t want anything to do with freaks, in either place. Because if this is whats there, no chance on either.

You’re certainly not here because you have friends here.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #984 on: March 13, 2024, 11:48:04 AM »
I think this thread has some life left in it.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #985 on: March 13, 2024, 12:02:54 PM »
If you guys that are supporting other flight sims here still subscribe to AH I can see a thread like this but if you don't it doesn't belong here imo...I don't think most of you do

Us old dogs of this game get your point, if we aren't interested in engine management,  talk about melting engines is overkill lol

We know how to sub if/when we are interested...

Again if you're still paying for AH, carry on advertising it's competition in your superior slant..otherwise it has run its course imo also

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #986 on: March 13, 2024, 12:06:38 PM »
If you guys that are supporting other flight sims here still subscribe to AH I can see a thread like this but if you don't it doesn't belong here imo...I don't think most of you do

Us old dogs of this game get your point, if we aren't interested in engine management,  talk about melting engines is overkill lol

We know how to sub if/when we are interested...

Again if you're still paying for AH, carry on advertising it's competition in your superior slant..otherwise it has run its course imo also

Eagler

I'm sure WT pilots say the same thing about the hassle of having to coordinate rudders with ailerons.  They are just different points on the simulation spectrum.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #987 on: March 13, 2024, 12:09:04 PM »
Seems like this thread has run its course.

I said this ten pages ago. It’s no longer a discussion of sims and mostly become a few people talking about DCS. If you want to talk about it so bad then make a DCS thread and have at it. That way people won’t need to check out new posts hoping to join a meaningful discussion.

Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #988 on: March 13, 2024, 12:12:15 PM »
It will be interesting to see how this compares to the DCS version if we ever see it.

I was watching some RL Chinook vids.  It's amazing how nimble a big bird can be. 

« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 12:16:36 PM by CptTrips »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #989 on: March 13, 2024, 12:18:52 PM »
I said this ten pages ago. It’s no longer a discussion of sims and mostly become a few people talking about DCS. If you want to talk about it so bad then make a DCS thread and have at it. That way people won’t need to check out new posts hoping to join a meaningful discussion.

Is there anything against that in the forum rules?  I looked and didn't see anything.

One could simply chose not to read if the content doesn't interest them.