Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 31087 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #1140 on: April 02, 2024, 08:12:26 AM »
Thanks Tshark!

Which one do you have? The 5k or the 8k?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1141 on: April 02, 2024, 08:16:23 AM »
If I was inclined to jump back into VR, I'm not, I would go with a Pimax Crystal. I've used the first Oculus Rift, the Quest 2, and the Reverb G2. The Pimax Crystal is in another class.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1142 on: April 02, 2024, 08:26:51 AM »
Thanks Tshark!

Which one do you have? The 5k or the 8k?

Eagler

Tshark can correct me but I believe the 8K was the precursor to the Crystal. The Crystal res is 2880 x 2880 per eye.

https://pimax.com/8kx-vs-crystal-what-are-the-differences/

You can find the Pimax Crystal on sale or a deal. Think my brother got his for $1,200. Could be wrong. Might have been a lightning deal like this one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pimax/comments/18tqnv0/pimax_crystal_amazon_lightning_deal_for_1223/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 08:34:19 AM by AKIron »

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1143 on: April 02, 2024, 08:41:59 AM »
Yes, the Pimax Crystal is the next gen above the 8K.  Pimax is working on the 12K, but it is at least another 2 years away.  Currently the Pimax Crystal is "state of the art" in VR. 

As far as Aces High is concerned just imagine the image you see on a 4K monitor rendered in VR with the same clarity and with 3D and head tracking added in. 

For games like DCS, the eye tracking allows for foveated rendering so that your computer only does high res where you are looking.  You don't notice any difference in your perceived visual, but your computer is getting a 35% or better performance boost.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 08:43:42 AM by edge12674 »

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1144 on: April 02, 2024, 08:49:26 AM »
I didn't know much about the fovea and macula until I had an occlusion a few years ago. It's a struggle to read with just that eye now. You might be inclined to think you could notice a significant reduction in resolution of an area adjacent to that where your fovea is focused. You can't.

If you want to test that for yourself pick a spot at the end of this sentence and focus your eyes on that spot, maybe put your cursor there to help keep your focus. Without moving your focus see how far away from that spot you can read the words that are in your view.

You might think, yeah, I can't read it without "looking" at it. Exactly.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 09:05:38 AM by AKIron »

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1145 on: April 02, 2024, 09:23:51 AM »
Or if you have eyeglasses just focus on the center of your screen, then without moving your head look at the four corners of your monitor.  You will notice the corners are blurry.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1146 on: April 02, 2024, 09:48:27 AM »
BTW-if you have a VR headset without eye tracking you can use "foveated fixed rendering" in DCS.  This will give you a performance boost by high res rendering in the "sweet spot" only.  You will have to move your head instead of just your eyes to look around, but you are already doing this with any VR headset that does not have eye tracking.

TShark

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1147 on: April 04, 2024, 07:40:42 AM »
This looking good and progressing faster than thought.

TShark

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1148 on: April 04, 2024, 08:49:29 AM »
This looking good and progressing faster than thought.

Looking pretty good. I know it will probably end up looking pretty nice overall. I hope their engine does have a good damage model. My all time favorite damage model is Battlefield 4, where buildings crumble and walls blow out next to you. I don't understand why more games haven't gone that direction. Takes realness up a notch. I just hope it's not cheesy like WT. Too many cheesy games now. I want this to be a hard-core game for the older crowd and not geared towards children. Hoping it the flight model feels good as well. I know it's gonna be a while, but it certainly feels they are dedicated.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1149 on: April 04, 2024, 09:28:00 AM »
They are scheduled to appear at the Flight Sim Expo in Vegas this June.  The developer hopes to have an "early access" flyable version available to all this summer as well.

More info here:

https://forum.combatpilot.com/topic/48-combat-pilot-developer-diaries/#comment-7823
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 09:42:47 AM by edge12674 »

TShark

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1150 on: April 04, 2024, 10:39:53 AM »
Looking pretty good. I know it will probably end up looking pretty nice overall. I hope their engine does have a good damage model. My all time favorite damage model is Battlefield 4, where buildings crumble and walls blow out next to you. I don't understand why more games haven't gone that direction. Takes realness up a notch. I just hope it's not cheesy like WT. Too many cheesy games now. I want this to be a hard-core game for the older crowd and not geared towards children. Hoping it the flight model feels good as well. I know it's gonna be a while, but it certainly feels they are dedicated.

From his last interview I listened to, it seemed clear to me he was going more toward the high-fidelity end of the scale.  Whether he wants to go to the fetish level that DCS does is not clear.  I'd like that level of FM, I don't know about every cockpit switch clickable.  Cool if it is, but the FM is the MOST import req, IMHO.

It's clear the intent is not a casual game.  My guess would be something in between IL2 GB and DCS.

$0.02

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1151 on: April 04, 2024, 10:44:23 AM »
"Sherman, set the Wayback machine to..."

I enjoyed this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN1mNNRqu0A

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1152 on: April 04, 2024, 01:19:40 PM »
Wow…..the 1994 con was 30 years ago.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1153 on: April 04, 2024, 01:34:44 PM »

I enjoyed this one.

OMG. What a flashback. I had an Amiga 500 and an Amiga 3000 back in the day.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #1154 on: April 04, 2024, 02:44:32 PM »

I enjoyed this one.

Someone had put some aircraft gauges in old VW Beetle dashboard and made it F4...    :D
The Mad   CatMan!