Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 29733 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #1410 on: May 03, 2024, 09:39:40 AM »
Thanks Banshee and I may take you up on that. But for now, I'll just stick to offline practice for a while.  :salute

Oh btw, no one listens to gldnbb.  He's one of the resident armchair generals that can be found on each country.  Each country has a least one, and it doesn't take long to see who they are!  It took me a while to learn the layouts of bases and stuff, and I'm still not great at it because I spend most of my time hunting planes.  I will share what knowledge I have to keep players in the game!
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1411 on: May 03, 2024, 09:43:32 AM »

Like most of DCS, I describe it as a beautiful hot mess. ;)

One problem and workaround I've resorted to is getting all bombers in a group to attack an assigned target. In some cases I gave up on using an actual group and just created individual groups for each bomber. To keep them in formation I give them all close waypoints. Kludgy I know but it does work. 
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1412 on: May 03, 2024, 10:26:40 AM »
One problem and workaround I've resorted to is getting all bombers in a group to attack an assigned target. In some cases I gave up on using an actual group and just created individual groups for each bomber. To keep them in formation I give them all close waypoints. Kludgy I know but it does work.
In mission editor you can assign wingmen to your flight....up to 5 I think? They will follow your flight plan through all waypoints, that way you won't have to setup individual WPs for each aircraft. Also, you can set "triggers" in editor to make them react to what you want them to target at any point in the mission, and then return to your flight path.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 10:29:44 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1413 on: May 03, 2024, 10:34:16 AM »
Oh btw, no one listens to gldnbb.  He's one of the resident armchair generals that can be found on each country.  Each country has a least one, and it doesn't take long to see who they are!  It took me a while to learn the layouts of bases and stuff, and I'm still not great at it because I spend most of my time hunting planes.  I will share what knowledge I have to keep players in the game!
I figured I was in deep trouble when the plan was to take a base with no eggs.  :rofl Okay boys, I'll be over here ...good luck. 
Lighten up Francis

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1414 on: May 03, 2024, 10:36:53 AM »
In mission editor you can assign wingmen to your flight....up to 5 I think? They will follow your flight plan through all waypoints, that way you won't have to setup individual WPs for each aircraft.

Yes, but I'm sure you realize that DCS sometimes has bugs. ;)

I had originally done that in my 36-45 bomber formations.  They even have a specific large formation wp action.  In trying to use that I ran into weird behaviors of AI wingmen getting into bizarre control feedback loops where the element would go all squirrely and start porpoising more and more.  I had to break it out into individually groups and parallel routes to avoid that temporarily.  I think it just had a hole in the logic that over adjusted at high alt.  It may not do that at a lower alt I need to test more again someday, but sometimes you have to find a temp fix and live to fight another day.

There were various glitches Nefarious and I were working around in AH's mission editor too.  Software has bugs.  All software does.

<S>

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1415 on: May 03, 2024, 10:41:48 AM »
Yeah, no problem getting a group of bombers to stay together. Getting them all to bomb their assigned target is the issue. Often a group of 4 will let the lead drop bombs then they all fly away together with full bomb loads. I've tried all the various settings.

Load up a group of 4 TU-22s with anti-ship missiles and send them against a carrier group and watch what happens. You can create the same formation with 4 groups but only 1 plane in each group. Then they will all attack. Another oddity I've seen occasionally is when you create one bomber, add weapons, give it waypoints and a target. Then ctrl-c to copy and ctrl-v to paste. They just don't work the same as when created individually.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 10:47:30 AM by AKIron »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1416 on: May 03, 2024, 10:48:05 AM »
Yeah, no problem getting a group of bombers to stay together. Getting them all to bomb their assigned target is the issue. Often a group of 4 will let the lead drop bombs then they all fly away together with full bomb loads. I've tried all the various settings.

I think I saw some tweaks to fix that.  It shouldn't be so hard, but I think that was fixable. 

The porpoising may have been fixable keeping the formation at a lower alt.  28k may have been out of what the programmers had tested with.  I think at 20k that may have smoothed out.  Something I will play with next time.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1417 on: May 03, 2024, 10:50:32 AM »

Software has bugs.  All software does.

<S>

Some call them features.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1418 on: May 03, 2024, 10:57:44 AM »
Trigger actions or the "attack my target" option by hotkey command. Set it to a button on your HOTAS.  :cheers:

Check out the Grim Reapers (YouTube) videos for more info.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 10:59:25 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1419 on: May 03, 2024, 11:06:13 AM »
I'm talking about setting up an attack force controlled completely by AI. I never use AI wingmen.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1420 on: May 03, 2024, 11:11:39 AM »
I thought maybe there was something hidden when you assign a group of bombers to attack a target. Such that when the first plane dropped the rest considered the target attacked. But, I tried it even with carpet bombing, same thing. I haven't tried it in a while. Maybe it's different now. 

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1421 on: May 03, 2024, 11:14:58 AM »
I made some videos a while back on the subject.

The first.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1422 on: May 03, 2024, 11:19:16 AM »
That was just one aspect. As I mentioned I also gave groups of bombers orders to carpet bomb. Only the first dropped. I tried all the settings.

At least there are workarounds.

The second video on the issue.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 11:24:47 AM by AKIron »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1423 on: May 03, 2024, 11:39:20 AM »
I have gotten it work before. Just seems very inconsistent. As I mentioned, it's been a while since I did any testing. I want a fleet battle so may try again.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #1424 on: May 03, 2024, 11:48:33 AM »
The main attraction of DCS for me is being able to learn at your own pace without harassment from players. Last night a couple of players called me a chicken/coward because I chose to go off my myself and relearn how to dive bomb radars, on the other side of the map. After 10 yrs the fields have all changed! I have settings to set up, skins to download, views, maps to memorize etc...it takes time.
So thank Hollywood and GldBB for yet another player canceling his account. I'm not paying and investing time for that. I'm not trying to impress anyone as I simply just want to fly a P38 that DCS doesn't have. I have nothing to prove nor should I be expected to follow sheep around. Truth be known, I have forgotten more about this game then some of them will probably ever know...but that's okay. It's their sandbox now and I refuse to roll around with all self inflated cat turds I've found here.
Two days in the game I was bombarded with tune to channel requests, squad invites etc. Why? Those people don't know me from a man on the moon. So to be polite I tuned to their channel after several requests, although I'd rather not be bothered. I guess I didn't make that clear enough by repeatedly turning down squad requests. I just wanna fly without the childish antics and commentary of the crowd I'm finding here.  I'm getting too old and tired to put up with crap...much less pay 15 bucks a month for it.

A lotta truth here.
Unfortunately, its a small group with arrogant mouths ALLOWED to walk over everyone and make everyone look bad. Could be 130 on, but 5 will vomit everywhere and get the most attention. 

Also unfortunate allowing a few things to not disrupt the dust and hide in isolation is not going well as a whole.

Sometimes it has the feel of sabotage from within.

Lose 1 good guy, lose 5
Lose 5 bad guy, gain 10

Ya can’t just lay down and do zero. Paying customers deserve SOMETHING. Allowing ithers to chase players away is like running a restaurant and sllowing outsiders come in to eat off your plate.

Lock the bad threads, boot the repeat disrupters. Stop the excuses.

Anything else is Russian Roulette. Feeding the competitors.

Personally, no MA, I have other things to do in life.

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP