Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 30500 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #1470 on: May 07, 2024, 08:30:46 AM »
If you are just curious about DCS and want to see if it is worth your time then don't spend any money.  Download the free base program and then the free A-4E mod (aircraft the instructors used in original "Top Gun" movie).  You will be able to explore pretty much everything DCS has to offer (air to air combat, air to ground combat, air refueling, carrier ops, land based airports, dynamic weather, and multiplayer servers).  The A-4E is just a step up from WWII as it has limited radar for ground use only.  The mod comes with a full manual that is available to read standalone or via kneeboard while in the game.

This is the route I was going to take!  I have zero experience outside of AH, so I know it's going to be a learning curve just to take off, fly, and land! I'm going to stick to the 51 for a bit.   Also have to learn how to map my X52.  But, that's what this summer is for.  Plenty of time to learn  :rock :joystick:
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1471 on: May 07, 2024, 08:40:56 AM »
When you add a new aircraft always go into the axis controls and unmap everything not needed. The game will by default make a mess of this every time. You do not want your pedals/throttle also mapped to pitch/roll/etc...
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1472 on: May 07, 2024, 09:35:47 AM »
This is the route I was going to take!  I have zero experience outside of AH, so I know it's going to be a learning curve just to take off, fly, and land! I'm going to stick to the 51 for a bit.   Also have to learn how to map my X52.  But, that's what this summer is for.  Plenty of time to learn  :rock :joystick:

Keep in mind that WWII aircraft require more piloting skill than later aircraft (just like WWI aircraft are harder to fly than WWII).  AH does give you some experience, but there is not as much warning when the aircraft goes into an accelerated stall.  There is more engine management with WWII aircraft as well.  AH does not really simulate tail dragger aircraft, so you will find taxiing, takeoff, and landings, more difficult.  It is nothing you can't master, just different.  Hope you enjoy the journey. 

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1473 on: May 07, 2024, 09:46:23 AM »
The German aircraft are the hardest for me. Remember to turn off the assist if you want a challenge, it's on by default. I don't think they had two seat trainers for these aircraft. Probably lost more than a few aircraft to new pilots.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #1474 on: May 07, 2024, 09:49:11 AM »
Im trying the "journey" as well. DLed the game.....man that file is huge! Got it started and installed. Not sure where to find the A6 and how to get that into the game. But, I have time and it is free  :)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1475 on: May 07, 2024, 09:56:26 AM »
https://heclak.github.io/community-a4e-c/

OVGME is a handy tool to enable and disable third party mods.

https://youtu.be/szuppmcrmko
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 10:08:47 AM by AKIron »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1476 on: May 07, 2024, 01:34:41 PM »

Just because I know it infuriates Animl....

Looks like PHUN.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1477 on: May 07, 2024, 01:52:09 PM »
Just because I know it infuriates Animl....

Looks like PHUN.

Woohoo!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1478 on: May 07, 2024, 02:06:54 PM »
Woohoo!

I know.  Phinally, right?   :noid

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1479 on: May 07, 2024, 02:52:42 PM »

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1480 on: May 07, 2024, 03:26:25 PM »
Haven’t played a jet sim since the days of blackout redout blackout redout.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1481 on: May 07, 2024, 03:55:21 PM »
Haven’t played a jet sim since the days of blackout redout blackout redout.

Personally, I am more interested in the Kiowa and Chinook, but I know there are a lot fixed-wingers who have been dry humping this F-4 release.  Glad to see them get their toy. 

Now, about that Kiowa.  ;)

I do hope that Puma can give it a try some time and Darkwood can interview him and get his SME opinion on how close Heatblur came to capturing what he remembered.  Of course a simulation can never capture sitting in the cockpit and smelling the fuel and feeling the Gs.  But how close did it get given what is possible on a consumer PC platform.  That would be an interesting interview youtube.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #1482 on: May 08, 2024, 02:38:05 AM »
The German aircraft are the hardest for me. Remember to turn off the assist if you want a challenge, it's on by default. I don't think they had two seat trainers for these aircraft. Probably lost more than a few aircraft to new pilots.

heh.. the 190s are the easiest of all the Warbirds (IMO)... although the A8 is a pig, just like everywhere else.

"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1483 on: May 08, 2024, 07:51:48 AM »
https://heclak.github.io/community-a4e-c/

OVGME is a handy tool to enable and disable third party mods.

https://youtu.be/szuppmcrmko

Make sure you install in the correct folder.  Most issues are with this simple mistake.  OVGME is really good for installing different mods, but the A-4 mod all goes into one folder and does not replace any DCS files.  It is easily removed so OVGME isn't really needed for this one.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1484 on: May 08, 2024, 08:42:10 AM »
OVGME isn't really needed but it's convenient. Especially for the more complicated core mods like the F-16i.