Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 30682 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #1485 on: May 08, 2024, 08:47:48 AM »
Make sure you install in the correct folder.  Most issues are with this simple mistake.  OVGME is really good for installing different mods, but the A-4 mod all goes into one folder and does not replace any DCS files.  It is easily removed so OVGME isn't really needed for this one.

On the link Iron posted there are 3 files, 2 zips and a "GZ" file. Which folder do I drop these into, after unzipping the first 2 of course? Im assuming .../Mods/Aircraft, but I dont see any "gz" files.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1486 on: May 08, 2024, 09:24:16 AM »
Disregard below. Obviously I misunderstood the issue was the A-4 and not the OH-6A.

All three of those files are compressed. In file explorer right click, drag to an empty spot, release right mouse button, choose extract.

I've made other videos on how to set up and use ovgme.

https://youtu.be/_STNLtzyWDE

https://youtu.be/GTWdlGOyR7M

OVGME just copies and deletes files. You can do it manually. Non core mods (like the OH-6A), all reside in your c:\users\<user name>\saved games\dcs.openbeta(or whatever yours is called)\mods folder.  In some exceptions like the OH-6A there is also a script for the door gunner added to the scripts folder (at the same folder level as mods).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 09:50:47 AM by AKIron »
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1487 on: May 08, 2024, 09:42:16 AM »
On the link Iron posted there are 3 files, 2 zips and a "GZ" file. Which folder do I drop these into, after unzipping the first 2 of course? Im assuming .../Mods/Aircraft, but I dont see any "gz" files.

You only need to download and extract the file "Community_A-4E-C_v2.2.zip".  The other files are not needed.  Once extracted place the entire unzipped folder in "c:\user\(your user name)\saved games\DCS"

That is all there is to it.

If you DO run into problems the developers of the A-4 are very willing to help on this Discord channel:  https://discord.gg/Eb6m5T8x
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 09:44:34 AM by edge12674 »

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1488 on: May 08, 2024, 09:44:55 AM »

« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 11:20:14 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1489 on: May 08, 2024, 10:03:52 AM »
Good video. One thing I'll note, while there is no auto start for the A-4, you can create a mission with it sitting on the ramp or runway already started and ready to roll.

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1490 on: May 08, 2024, 10:12:42 AM »
Apps like this are handy for swapping mods in and out. JGSME is another that does the same. MSFS has one called Add-on Linker. Makes it easy to clear out the mods when the game has an update. That way there's no conflicts. Then just add them back as needed. Add-on Linker is nice that you can make different profiles too.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1491 on: May 08, 2024, 10:17:56 AM »
Once the A-4 is installed I would start DCS, then go into the settings menu (the cog upper left) and map your axis for the A-4.  Then go to "Instant Action" and choose "Free flight" for the A-4 in the Caucasus map.  Fly around just to get a feel for the aircraft.  While flying, if you need to adjust the sensitivity of the aircraft just press the ESC key and choose "Adjust controls".  Use "Axis tune" and adjust the curvature till the aircraft feels good for you.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1492 on: May 08, 2024, 10:27:47 AM »
Don't forget to make youtube videos of your progress.  :D

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1493 on: May 08, 2024, 11:15:54 AM »
I use mods sparingly. 

Mods can be the source of bugs when DCS changes version, mods have to be updated separately.  A lot of bugs end up being traced back to mods.

When you have problems, the first advice is going to be to remove all mods and re-test. ;)  That is reasonable, as DCS API and behaviors the mods depend on can change at any time and break something and it is not ED's problem to test with every mod.  And some mods may no longer have active dev support.

Mainstream mods like the Blackhawk and A-4 would probably not be a problem often.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1494 on: May 08, 2024, 11:19:56 AM »
That's why I use OVGME to enable/disable mods. Makes it easy to turn them on when I want them and turn them off as soon as I'm done.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1495 on: May 08, 2024, 11:22:19 AM »
Another related app I find very handy, Skatezilla's Launcher. Among many other functions it can be used to auto launch 5 or 6 other apps with DCS. Like Voice Attack, Track IR, Helios, etc....

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/134493-the-dcs-updater-launcher-gui-utility-version-20-2023
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 11:24:06 AM by AKIron »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #1496 on: May 08, 2024, 11:25:02 AM »
You only need to download and extract the file "Community_A-4E-C_v2.2.zip".  The other files are not needed.  Once extracted place the entire unzipped folder in "c:\user\(your user name)\saved games\DCS"

That is all there is to it.

If you DO run into problems the developers of the A-4 are very willing to help on this Discord channel:  https://discord.gg/Eb6m5T8x

no matter which way I try it I get this....

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1497 on: May 08, 2024, 11:27:35 AM »
You put it in the game folder instead of your saved games folder.

Depending on your install folder name:

Here:
c:\users\<username>\saved games\dcs\mods

Not here:
c:\program files\dcs\mods
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 11:33:58 AM by AKIron »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #1498 on: May 08, 2024, 12:36:25 PM »
your right, I did have another copy in there. I final got it working. I removed all the Mod files I was messing with and started over. I got it right this time and it works. Thanks for the help.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1499 on: May 08, 2024, 01:09:26 PM »
your right, I did have another copy in there. I final got it working. I removed all the Mod files I was messing with and started over. I got it right this time and it works. Thanks for the help.

Don't ask me how I knew that.   ;)