Author Topic: Apple TV  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Peabody

• Zinc Member
Re: Apple TV
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2024, 03:35:21 PM »
Really enjoyed For All Mankind, Ted Lasso, Slow Horses, The Morning Show, and Bad Sisters. Silo was kind of meh for me but an interesting storyline. Foundation was disappointing for me because I had read the books.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2024, 09:17:50 AM »
I'm freaking tired of these streaming services. It's an absolute crock. First you need disney + for starwars, then you gotta buy Peacock to watch an NFL game, then you gotta get Apple to watch this, then Amazon to watch that, then Netflix to watch this, and paramount + to watch that. Good F-in grief. Then you still need regular TV to watch sports, no you can just get tennis channel, so you have to buy that too. Like what the actual F. I'm tired of this crap.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2024, 09:25:18 AM »
I'm freaking tired of these streaming services. It's an absolute crock. First you need disney + for starwars, then you gotta buy Peacock to watch an NFL game, then you gotta get Apple to watch this, then Amazon to watch that, then Netflix to watch this, and paramount + to watch that. Good F-in grief. Then you still need regular TV to watch sports, no you can just get tennis channel, so you have to buy that too. Like what the actual F. I'm tired of this crap.

Which was basically the reaction when you tell folks about AH.  Yeah, to play your airplane video game, you need ANOTHER subscription.

If you could at least tell them there was a FTP subset they could fly until they have proven to themselves it's worth it, that would help with the counter argument.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2024, 09:26:04 AM »

And the reason for their actual existence isn't true anymore...they are cheaper than all in one cable tv set top box...

Given the quality of the majority of what is produced today is inferior to previous programming makes it a lose lose scenario imo

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2024, 09:59:23 AM »
Watched the first of the For All Mankind. 
So far I think I am really going to like it. 
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2024, 10:34:26 AM »
Watched the first of the For All Mankind. 
So far I think I am really going to like it.

We watched a couple of them last night. My first reaction was "is this some sort of commie wishful thinking". Then I realized that if the ruskies had actually beaten us to the moon it's likely space exploration would have progressed well beyond what it actually did. That may or may not have been a good thing.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2024, 10:40:07 AM »
Apple TV has a comparatively thin library, but some excellent prestige TV. It also seem have the best streaming quality, especially for live sports. MLB looks incredible on Apple TV.

For the budget conscious, there are plenty of ways to get free trials every few months and catch up on their high quality shows.

Or, for those that don't mind putting in a little effort, a Usenet subscription with an NNTP reader and decent indexer is the most cost-effective and risk-free way to watch anything and everything, in the highest quality, any time.

PS. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Severance. It was a decent and thought provoking series.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2024, 10:47:38 AM »
PS. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Severance. It was a decent and thought provoking series.

I'll put it on my list to look at.

Am I crazy or did it tell me I was starting a 3 month trial? 

I hope they don't do like 1923 where they show 2 episodes of MotA and then you have to wait a month for more. 
I wanna binge and bail. ;)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2024, 10:56:44 AM »
My new Samsung Frame had a three month trial but I screwed up and reactivated my old AppleTV account before i knew that. The hassle wasn't worth creating a new account and redoing.

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2024, 11:00:50 AM »
I'll put it on my list to look at.

Am I crazy or did it tell me I was starting a 3 month trial? 

I hope they don't do like 1923 where they show 2 episodes of MotA and then you have to wait a month for more. 
I wanna binge and bail. ;)

Make sure to cancel immediately so you don't have to remember when your 3 months are up. Often they're tied to major releases so I wouldn't be surprised to see Masters of the Air trigger a free trial promo. You don't even need to use a different email address typically.

Not sure stateside, but up here in Canada you can get a free trial if you buy something from Best Buy or an Apple product (ew). Certain member rewards cards have them too.

From what I've seen so far Apple does drop all episodes at once, although I suspect that will start to change since Netflix and Prime have started doing the gradual releases a lot more lately.

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2024, 12:33:19 PM »
The number of subscription services is mind boggling for sure but if you can drill down to just the ones you use on a semi-frequent basis, it seems cheaper than cable to me. No more CSPAN-2 or Shopping-is-fun channels to dodge any longer as well.
I just wish there was a way to combine all of their scheduling and show listings into one spot instead of searching each service for a show or game. An app or whatever that sets everything from everybody out in an organized manner that's easy to peruse....like the guide channel from cable TV or something similar would improve things greatly. It'd be great to go looking for M.A.S.H or Three's Company without having to search in Netflix or Amazon Prime etc. individually for childhood TV greatness. Looking for that obscure NCAA, Big West Conference women's volleyball match? Head to the sports section, scroll to the V's and there it is, click it and go straight to it without switching apps and searching.
I know there are websites that try this but I want to do it with my remote from my LAZ-Y-BOY.
A nice provider agnostic TV guide is all I ask.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2024, 04:00:45 PM »
I have prime. Don't need much else. Once you pay your internet bill and subs.... most are back to a cable bill.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2024, 04:25:56 PM »

Yeah and I doubt they will drop it all at once.

Their gonna make you stay subscribed for two months to catch them all.

Or have the discipline to wait until they have all aired and then subscribe and binge them in one month.  Yeah, right.   :rofl :rofl
just tpb it the day after
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2024, 04:27:44 PM »
Which was basically the reaction when you tell folks about AH.  Yeah, to play your airplane video game, you need ANOTHER subscription.

If you could at least tell them there was a FTP subset they could fly until they have proven to themselves it's worth it, that would help with the counter argument.

I've always disliked the subscription. I've already made posts regarding your post about FTP planes. Would be nice.... these punks would die over and over again feeding everyone kills, which would be great actually. :devil then atleast 20% or more would subscribe for a while so they can feel what it's like to fly the real planes and get gud. I don't care how gud you are, you aren't gonna run nothin in a 109e or a6m2. But, it will give you a chance to retry the game after a few months. This all builds #s. #s are gud. Especially when the map is the size of Manhatten...

That being said, still irritated with all of these companies going independent. How do you switch channels and go back and forth. Just the easiness of it all in one spot...sports are gonna be a mess.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2024, 04:32:06 PM »
There's been talk of Windows going subscription. No doubt Microsoft would very much like to do that but it won't happen soon.