Author Topic: Apple TV  (Read 2617 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: Apple TV
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2024, 05:33:59 PM »
We had a minimalist OS designed to give apps/games complete control over all hardware resources a minute ago. CPM/DOS. Where did we go wrong?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2024, 10:01:31 PM »
Watched some of the Silo series tonight. Was good. Read some of the Silo series many years ago.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2024, 06:02:52 AM »
There's been talk of Windows going subscription. No doubt Microsoft would very much like to do that but it won't happen soon.

Ms office in the clouds is a real secure idea ...only $100 a year for the family lol

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2024, 07:42:38 AM »
Many businesses do subscribe to Office 365. For email and office products.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2024, 08:29:05 AM »

Which is even worse than private use imo...

Security is out the window,  just more entry points to exploit

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2024, 08:52:38 AM »
MFA and education add a level of security that is hard to defeat. Of course there will always be some easily fooled no matter the level of security.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2024, 08:56:51 AM »
I see a lot less security issues now with O365 hosting email than when clients had their own email servers. We strongly encourage all clients to use MFA for everything and the vast majority do.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2024, 09:32:38 AM »
I see a lot less security issues now with O365 hosting email than when clients had their own email servers. We strongly encourage all clients to use MFA for everything and the vast majority do.

My problem isn't that it is on the cloud, it's that it is subscription. ;)

The cloud can be scary for the Boomers.  I get it.  I had long arguments with my former boss.

Think of it like WWII merchant convoys. 

A bunch of lone cargo ships can scatter to the winds on their own and hope they can make it across individually.  Some might get lucky, but they are all vulnerable if caught alone.

Or group them up in a convoy where you can surround them with a crack team of expert defenders.  Sure it is a big juicy target, but can be heavily defended by people who actually specialize in that job and have the resources and tech to do it right.

As opposed to a lot of individual servers where people don't get around to putting on the latest security patch right away.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2024, 09:35:57 AM »

It is accepted when CMMC is required for your business to do certain kinds of work.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2024, 09:39:07 AM »
Maintaining your own email server(s) for a business can be expensive when you consider hiring IT staff. Keeping your Office software up to date also. The math has been done and the cloud has won, or is winning. 

I'm a boomer who has been working in IT for over 30 years. Sometimes change is just for the sake of change. sometimes it's good.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 09:42:00 AM by AKIron »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2024, 09:46:18 AM »
Virtual servers have pretty much taken it all. Cloud VMs are replacing local VMs and mostly already have. There are patterns and cycles. Will this reverse? Not to back as it was but maybe in some other fashion.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2024, 09:47:41 AM »
AI will likely bring changes we can't imagine today.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2024, 09:49:28 AM »
Virtual servers have pretty much taken it all. Cloud VMs are replacing local VMs and mostly already have. There are patterns and cycles. Will this reverse? Not to back as it was but maybe in some other fashion.

My Boomer boss was like, "This cloud stuff is just a fad."  :rofl
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2024, 09:49:40 AM »
I think for smaller businesses, cloud is the way to go assuming you don't have a ton invested already into server infrastructure. People scoff at the price of cloud, but when you're typically needing to do a full server reset every 5-7 years for optimal performance, the costs balance out. For extremely large businesses, on-prem solutions still sort of make sense for most things. Depends on the industry though.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2024, 09:56:18 AM »

Even Photoshop has gone subscription.  (Spit.)

I replaced it with a standalone competitor.  Not quite as nice, but I own it.  I don't keep paying forever.