Author Topic: I found NorthCo terrain IRL  (Read 641 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
I found NorthCo terrain IRL
« on: January 19, 2024, 09:43:12 AM »
It's in Ontario, straight north from MN's arrowhead region, between Winnipeg and Thunder Bay.   Always new it was somewhere in this lakes area of N Minnesota- S Canada, but today it finally clicked when I noticed the shape of Lac Seul in the center of the map.

One thing I don't understand - the arena setup parameters show its location as Lat 32.9456, Long -97.2821.   When I plug these values into Google Maps (assuming a negative longitude value indicates East) I land somewhere in China, near Tibet.  If I alter it to 97.2821 W longitude, I'm in Keller, TX - nowhere near Canada.

Dang, looking at these maps make me hungry for a Walleye fillet.   Pan-fried Walleye, French Fries, and some cole slaw on the side.   Mmmmm.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 09:57:12 AM by oboe »

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
Re: I found NorthCo terrain IRL
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 10:04:57 AM »
Wow that’s very spot on. Nice find.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 10:16:27 AM »
One thing I don't understand - the arena setup parameters show its location as Lat 32.9456, Long -97.2821.   When I plug these values into Google Maps (assuming a negative longitude value indicates East) I land somewhere in China, near Tibet. If I alter it to 97.2821 W longitude, I'm in Keller, TX - nowhere near Canada.
Well... Isn't Keller, TX the actual location of all official AH maps? The minus sign sounds like a typo to me.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 10:20:35 AM »
Negative sign is used to differentiate between East and West or North and South on Artiks map generator, as well as NOAA's data coordinates.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 10:34:39 AM »
Nice detective work.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 10:48:22 AM »
Hence the name,  "NORTHCOuntry".    :D
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 11:07:07 AM »
Thanks guys,

Jimmy do you know, can you change the default Lat/Long?   If a more southern location was chosen, wouldn't the sun reach higher into the sky at noon?  Sometimes I feel the sun just doesn't seem high enough, when I'm looking at skins externally and even set the time to noon.

Do you know if the coordinates indicate the center of the map, or the lower left corner (origin?), or some other location?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 11:39:20 AM »
Oboe..... I am becoming concerned about you.  :rofl

You seem to be becoming a Globalholic.  :P
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 11:42:50 AM »
 :D

Just that I've always loved maps!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 11:48:08 AM »
:D

Just that I've always loved maps!

In truth... it has always been because of people like you that we can find our way today. All through history we have had map makers. Those who have been so interested in making and improving maps. Keep up the good work. Your terrain maps look amazing in large format.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 11:55:15 AM »
Thanks guys,

Jimmy do you know, can you change the default Lat/Long?   If a more southern location was chosen, wouldn't the sun reach higher into the sky at noon?  Sometimes I feel the sun just doesn't seem high enough, when I'm looking at skins externally and even set the time to noon.

Do you know if the coordinates indicate the center of the map, or the lower left corner (origin?), or some other location?

Oboe, the coordinates I use to generate a map are centrally located, so I would assume Sun position would be in the proper location for those coordinates. Of course the time of year would cause the appropriate deviations.

As to changing an existing maps coordinates, I've never tried it. Will be interesting to see.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2024, 12:01:10 PM »
Thanks Jimmy,

If it is an arena setting, I would think Hitech could make the change without have to recompile the terrain or anything?   I wonder if the date is the same inside the terrain - e.g. is it January 19th in the terrains?   That would correspond to a lower sun position at midday, later sunrises and earlier sunsets.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2024, 12:57:48 PM »
Thanks Jimmy,

If it is an arena setting, I would think Hitech could make the change without have to recompile the terrain or anything?   I wonder if the date is the same inside the terrain - e.g. is it January 19th in the terrains?   That would correspond to a lower sun position at midday, later sunrises and earlier sunsets.

Wow, I didn't even know sun position based on distance from the equator was a thing in AH. Thats interesting! Also didn't know Northco was based on a real map. Also cool!  :cool:
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2024, 01:26:23 PM »
Thanks Jimmy,

I believe the coordinates are locked into the terrain when it's created. But the date/time setting are adjustable in the CM menu. They are rarely changed for events.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2024, 01:32:09 PM »
This map needs to be snow covered.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798