Author Topic: Embroidered patch to commemorate glorious battles in Mastes of the Air scenario  (Read 2872 times)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
This design may have too many elements, or too much detail.  Designing a patch is harder than it looks.   I may be back with an alternate, simpler design.    Those previous patches were very cool-looking, esp Der Grosse Schlag and the Red Storm-Kruppes Steel. 

(Image removed from quote.)

Brooke who do you use to create the patches?  It might help to look at their website for design guidelines?

After staring at these. What about keeping the eagle and iron cross but with the design changes you have in the second rendition? So Smaller orange ring, February and 2024 moved to the outside, etc. I thought the Balkenkreuz would make it less 'busy', but the Luftwaffe eagle seems to blend better and having the month/year moved away helps with the busyness.

To be honest, if we want to save text space we can omit "February". It seems like more often than not the previous patches had them, but we also only run 1-2 a year now so it's a bit less important.

So top could be:
Masters of the Air

Bottom:
Aces High Scenario 2024
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 02:04:04 PM by Spikes »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Baloo

• Copper Member
Some patches I found, P38 related  :D :

^ This one can be edited to include everyone as it has plenty of space for text around

^ 479th Specific

« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 02:46:19 PM by Baloo »
Squadron: Arabian Knights

In Game Name: AKBaloo

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
After staring at these. What about keeping the eagle and iron cross but with the design changes you have in the second rendition? So Smaller orange ring, February and 2024 moved to the outside, etc. I thought the Balkenkreuz would make it less 'busy', but the Luftwaffe eagle seems to blend better and having the month/year moved away helps with the busyness.

To be honest, if we want to save text space we can omit "February". It seems like more often than not the previous patches had them, but we also only run 1-2 a year now so it's a bit less important.

So top could be:
Masters of the Air

Bottom:
Aces High Scenario 2024

I second this. I like C but I feel the patch should represent both sides.

My vote would be B with the modifications Spikes mentions. Second choice would be the modified version Oboe has already made.

Appreciate all the effort going in to this. Regardless of which design is selected, I will definitely be buying one.
 :salute
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
OK, I think this is a complete list of the patches submitted so far, with Spikes suggested changes to B, a couple of changes of my own, and new design suggested by Devil505 (E.).   I also have a version of this patch with a red gunsite reticule.

Click images for full-size versions
A1.
A2.
B.
C.
D.
E.    (Also available with red gunsite)
F.  I had this line drawing profile of a B-17 I was using before I went to the dark silhouette. Trying to shake up the design, create some visual interest tension with oversize, distorted shapes and a diagonal divider between blue and red.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 09:55:54 PM by oboe »

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
E looks great. Get's my vote.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
I like B. Good representation balance.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline KCDitto

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
I like B
Ditto  "WHITE 11"
"Masters of the Air" Scenario -JG54

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
B or D gets my vote. B > D, but again I wonder how the actual patch would turn out.
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
One more variation, I had this line drawing profile of a B-17 I was using before I went to the dark silhouette.  Just trying to shake up the design, create some visual interest tension with oversize, distorted shapes and a diagonal divider between blue and red.

F.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 09:52:56 PM by oboe »

Offline DaCoon

• Gold Member
ok.   DAMMIT!!!!!    F it is......to me it looks the best so far       :rock :salute :cheers:
AKDaCoon of the Arabian Knights

MA & FSO 😎

Offline Baloo

• Copper Member
One more variation, I had this line drawing profile of a B-17 I was using before I went to the dark silhouette.  Just trying to shake up the design, create some visual interest tension with oversize, distorted shapes and a diagonal divider between blue and red.

F.

That is awesome, Oboe! +1 for me   :aok
Squadron: Arabian Knights

In Game Name: AKBaloo

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
I like B the best with the Eagle, though curious how it would look with the silver B17 instead of the silhouette.

F is cool, though I'd probably make the German cross slightly smaller.

E is what I'm going to actually be doing  :devil
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Here's F. with a smaller Balken Cross, and a larger B-17 side view.  Trying after all to make it look like the elements want to burst out of the patch.

F.

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member

Combatants/ Globe

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
+1 on adding the dark background map, Potsnpans.   Really makes the emblems stand out and adds visual interest.