Author Topic: Continuing Saga of the Stubborn Reverb G2  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Continuing Saga of the Stubborn Reverb G2
« on: January 31, 2024, 07:51:18 AM »
Recently, for no known reason, my G2 frame rates went to unusable rates, 80-90 to 15-20.
I’ve not made any intentional changes to settings.  Even with an extensive amount of web search and a lot of help from SNO, nothing has resolved the issue (whatever is causing this).  When signing in to AH via DX11, the initial splash screen shows a frame rate of 90+/-.  Then, selecting any arena, as soon as the tower appears, frame shows low teens and then the low 20s.  No amount of changing the video or graphics settings affects the frame rate. 

It seems there’s a simple fix for whatever changed but, we’ve not been able to determine what it is.

3080 card, I7.

Any ideas for this “I don’t know what I don’t know” issue?  Thanks in advance!  :salute

I’m also aware that Microsoft is going to stop supporting WMR and HP has stopped production/support of the G2. :x  Perhaps mine is getting the jump on being a paper weight with a long cable.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Continuing Saga of the Stubborn Reverb G2
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 08:42:46 AM »
I have a similar setup to you Puma - I7, 3080, Reverb G2.  My frames are stable at 90 if I turn shadows off and set the in game graphics detail sliders in around 50%, but it does depend on the terrain as well.

I would also check you Windows WMR settings to make sure things haven't changed there, and also the Settings within SteamVR.   MAybe some setting there changed do to an update?

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 10:17:13 AM »
I have a similar setup to you Puma - I7, 3080, Reverb G2.  My frames are stable at 90 if I turn shadows off and set the in game graphics detail sliders in around 50%, but it does depend on the terrain as well.

I would also check you Windows WMR settings to make sure things haven't changed there, and also the Settings within SteamVR.   MAybe some setting there changed do to an update?

Yeah Oboe, SNO and I have spent a lot of time going through all those settings together, plus the nvidia  menus.  He also has solid 90 frame rate but with my settings matching his, I still get low 20s.  We are both VERY frustrated.  That’s why I have the feeling that there's THAT one thing, I’m not aware of that’s causing this.  Thanks for the ideas!  Not giving up though.  I’m very stubborn like that.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 10:28:21 AM »
Have you seen these discussion of a similar problem on Reddit?   Might be worth checking:

https://www.reddit.com/r/iRacing/comments/y5or6i/sudden_performance_drop_using_vr_the_last_week_or/

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2024, 05:26:51 PM »
Have you seen these discussion of a similar problem on Reddit?   Might be worth checking:

https://www.reddit.com/r/iRacing/comments/y5or6i/sudden_performance_drop_using_vr_the_last_week_or/

No but, certainly will.  Thanks for the link.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2024, 12:28:41 PM »
If nothing else jumps out at you or Sno, then I might suggest swapping out the G2 cable.  It is the Achilles heel of the G2.  An increased resistance in the cable could account for the drop in frames once the data stream picks up.

Just a thought.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2024, 12:57:35 PM »
If nothing else jumps out at you or Sno, then I might suggest swapping out the G2 cable.  It is the Achilles heel of the G2.  An increased resistance in the cable could account for the drop in frames once the data stream picks up.

Just a thought.

Interesting that we were just discussing that this morning.  I tried Oboe’s  suggestion and was initially encouraged by the surge in FRs.  When signing in, the splash screen shows 80-90.  Then in the tower 50ish and bubbles up to around 70.  On the runway or to a GV, FRs dump to 40ish.  Lots of screen stuttering, eye strain, and headache.  So, there just might be something to the cable idea.

Question for G2 users.  Does anyone have a verified phone number for HP G2 tech support, other than an off shore one that produces an unrecognizable English speaker who can’t understand recognizable English?

Thanks for the ideas gents!  Much appreciated!  :salute

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2024, 01:18:40 PM »
I have no number for HP support here, but I'd like to relate when my first cable went bad, it didn't affect frame rates - it was frequent sprinlking of colored pixels through the image - almost like the snow we'd get on the TV screen when trying to pull in a weak station with antenna back in the day, and then it would wink out to black, and if I'd turn my head, sometimes the image would restore and be fine for a while.

Bad cables can give error 1-4 in WMR, too, I think.   Just not sure its cable related.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2024, 01:21:20 PM »
Not sure about the g2 but the only issue I have had with my vive pro has been the cable.

I don't think they are built that well, probably on purpose...

..that and scratched lenses from my mr. Magoo glasses.

Good luck with your issue Puma

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2024, 01:24:52 PM »
I have no number for HP support here, but I'd like to relate when my first cable went bad, it didn't affect frame rates - it was frequent sprinlking of colored pixels through the image - almost like the snow we'd get on the TV screen when trying to pull in a weak station with antenna back in the day, and then it would wink out to black, and if I'd turn my head, sometimes the image would restore and be fine for a while.

Bad cables can give error 1-4 in WMR, too, I think.   Just not sure its cable related.

Assuming it’s not the cable, what else could it be?

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2024, 01:43:45 PM »
Assuming it’s not the cable, what else could it be?

Once your frame rate drops, does it stay down?  I've got a RiftS, not a G2, but when I up onto the runway, my frame rates drop below 20.  Takes a full minute or so, but then they go back up to 79.

- oldman

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2024, 05:01:26 PM »

Once your frame rate drops, does it stay down?  I've got a RiftS, not a G2, but when I up onto the runway, my frame rates drop below 20.  Takes a full minute or so, but then they go back up to 79.

- oldman

Mine drops down to the low teens and then gets back up to the mid 20s.  I’ve waited on the runway also but, it never recovers to the 80-90s as it did before.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2024, 08:17:22 AM »
Mine drops down to the low teens and then gets back up to the mid 20s.  I’ve waited on the runway also but, it never recovers to the 80-90s as it did before.
Do you have the Clip Board open?  I have been slammed lately, FPS to 20, whenever I bring it up.  Same issue when viewing the "Posted Mission" Join feature :bhead  With Mission window open was worse....FPS 20, and all detail, trees, hangers buildings and just about everything else goes poof? Close clipboard and back to normal?
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2024, 08:59:11 AM »
I can tell you with my similar rig (5800x3d, 3080 12gb, 32gb ram), with the G2 I'm not having this with AH. Plays buttery smooth at 90fps in all situations. Other sims not so much. IL2 might be like 75, MSFS might be like 50. Both of those put more of a hurting on the system and both can be lower depending on the weather. Clouds knock it back pretty good. Not a problem with AH clouds tho. This rig honestly laughs at AH. That's all you got?

I'd add I have both the CPU and GPU underclocked or undervolted too. Saving on power and heat while getting almost the same performance.

That's one thing that comes to mind. Heat. Is your case keeping your components cool? Have you cleaned it out lately? Fans running? One thing I ran into with that a couple of months back was I had an update to corsair icue that I use not only for the pretty LEDs on my case but also manage the fans. Have it tied to the GPU temp to ramp up the fans. It stopped working out of nowhere. GPU fans were going nuts but the case fans were all idle. Case temp was crazy high. Cost me a FSO frame and didn't get it figured out for over an hour. Icue fixed it with an update and the problem went away. But heat will do it. Get a monitoring app like HWinfo that'll tell you in great detail what's happening on your system and try to duplicate it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2024, 10:09:26 AM »
Do you have the Clip Board open?  I have been slammed lately, FPS to 20, whenever I bring it up.  Same issue when viewing the "Posted Mission" Join feature :bhead  With Mission window open was worse....FPS 20, and all detail, trees, hangers buildings and just about everything else goes poof? Close clipboard and back to normal?

The clipboard OPEN doesn’t make any significant difference when opened, maybe a small twitch of 3-5 when opened but, recovers quickly.

I can tell you with my similar rig (5800x3d, 3080 12gb, 32gb ram), with the G2 I'm not having this with AH. Plays buttery smooth at 90fps in all situations. Other sims not so much. IL2 might be like 75, MSFS might be like 50. Both of those put more of a hurting on the system and both can be lower depending on the weather. Clouds knock it back pretty good. Not a problem with AH clouds tho. This rig honestly laughs at AH. That's all you got?

I'd add I have both the CPU and GPU underclocked or undervolted too. Saving on power and heat while getting almost the same performance.

That's one thing that comes to mind. Heat. Is your case keeping your components cool? Have you cleaned it out lately? Fans running? One thing I ran into with that a couple of months back was I had an update to corsair icue that I use not only for the pretty LEDs on my case but also manage the fans. Have it tied to the GPU temp to ramp up the fans. It stopped working out of nowhere. GPU fans were going nuts but the case fans were all idle. Case temp was crazy high. Cost me a FSO frame and didn't get it figured out for over an hour. Icue fixed it with an update and the problem went away. But heat will do it. Get a monitoring app like HWinfo that'll tell you in great detail what's happening on your system and try to duplicate it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I have all the fans that will physically fit in the case.  Per previous suggestions from you all, I’ve checked that they are all operating, to include the 3080.  Also checked for dust.  There was a small amount and that was carefully removed with a compressed air can (being careful not to start the blow on any components). 

Someone recommended MSI Afterburner previously.  I start that first and keep an eye on 3080 and I7 temps, and haven’t seen evidence of abnormal temps.

I haven’t  overclocked anything.  Running it all as it came out of the box.

I continue to wonder if there’s  something simple that I just don’t know about, a G2 cable issue, a software setting that I’m not “computer savvy” enough to realize, etc, etc. 

I appreciate all your ideas and help.  Please keep them coming.

Started AH using TrackIR, and still use it for GVing because of the huge improvement in visual acuity.  The monitor has a 185 hz refresh rate that commonly produces FRs in the 150s or higher.  Noticed it cranking out 184 at one point yesterday.  But, for flying the G2 (when it’s performing properly) is undeniable close to real world flying.  Just can’t beat that part of it.  The way it’s now, it’s worse that the most intense real world drunken fog ever experienced.