Author Topic: I can't hear myself on Koss mic (Loopback/SideTone)  (Read 186 times)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
I can't hear myself on Koss mic (Loopback/SideTone)
« on: January 31, 2024, 12:46:43 PM »
I bought a Koss USB CS100 headset and would like to enable hearing myself.

I'm used to hearing myself on comm sets, it's strange to not hear myself. Basically it verifies it's working when you talk, so nothing is unknowingly missed. Most of us in the biz require this. We call it Side-tone in comms, here I think it might be referred to as loopback?

Fish out of water alert

« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 12:49:22 PM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
Re: I can't hear myself on Koss mic (Loopback/SideTone)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 12:55:25 PM »
Sorry, never mind, I found it in device properties.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 04:27:59 PM »
Sorry, never mind, I found it in device properties.

Was that in Windows or in the game?

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2024, 09:32:05 AM »
Was that in Windows or in the game?

Sorry for the late reply.

In Windows 11
Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Manage audio devices
Select your headphones > click the properties button > click Levels tab

Depending on your mix, if you have it off, you might end up speaking too loud. I do if my sidetone (in comms) is too low, and it annoys others listening on the other end, or in my area where we need to be quiet. Seeing how that's what I'm used to I can't have it any other way. It will also help you hear your mic and move it out of breathing and popping range of your mouth.

In the Koss the mic is very sensitive and no wind screen, it picks up breath and popping when you use words with Ps and Ts in them if it's directly in front of your mouth. It really needs a windscreen, which will smooth that all out, AND protect the mic diaphragm for getting it, those are not easy to clean without ruining it.

I'm going to pick some up at work tomorrow that are made for a lectern mic (podium) it's about the right size.

Sliding off subject. Mics catch a lot of saliva mist from your breath, it dries and then you do it again, which causes layers of dried spit. It carries a lot of bacteria, and will start to smell. I've taken apart singer mics to clean them and the inner windscreen so coated with breath and beer that it was now solid and wouldn't let the full voice pass through. Stink like hell. How they kept singing in them is kinda gross. It's really disgusting. We ALWAYS carry a pray bottle in the work trunk with Listerine in it and spray the mic before using, or use Lysol which smells too much. We'll also wipe the handles down with disinfecting wipes. If someone is sick, and uses the mic right before you,.. you can catch what they have, OR reinfect yourself. During COVID we had to take a lot of extra precautions. Small things no one thinks about.

So you get a cpl windscreens and you can clean them in mild dish soap and water, and let it dry over night. Just put the spare on while the other dries.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 09:58:06 AM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks