Author Topic: What happened with Axis attendance on frame 1?  (Read 275 times)

Offline RedBeard

• Copper Member
What happened with Axis attendance on frame 1?
« on: February 03, 2024, 12:29:22 AM »
I'd like to think that the Allies pulled through a win in frame 1 from my super fantastic mission plan, but the reality seemed to be that Axis was down significant numbers from the Allies.

I know the CMs try to assign sides to keep it balanced, but with the small numbers these days, the difference of 4 minimum commit (33 Allies vs 29 Axis) starts out with a 10% deficit for Axis.  However, the actual count was something like 44 vs 24, a 45% deficit.  It almost seems like a small squad missed the event.

Does anyone know what the root cause of the numbers was?

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: What happened with Axis attendance on frame 1?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 01:02:55 AM »
Maybe the problem is that 3 Allied squad went over their commitment levels?

Most significantly so with the AK's going over by 5 guys.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline RedBeard

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 01:10:35 AM »
FYI, I just took a look at the logs and it appears the final tally on pilots was Allies: 49, Axis: 36.  Maybe I should be asking how the Allies had a max commit of 44, but ended up with 49.

With the numbers we have these days, it is possible to see a roughly 30% difference in attendance even if every squad stays within their committed numbers.  Straying outside the committed numbers just makes the balance worse.

Perhaps if we are going to accept walkons, we should give the side with the hardest time meeting their numbers first choice.

Maybe the AKs can help us figure out what we should do different.

Offline LNG15

• Copper Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 08:17:29 AM »
I looked at the logs after frame, we were only 2 over on members. We normally have 9-11 there are sometimes some of the squad could have a day off from work or anything along those lines which can make that happen. I do understand the Axis were outnumbered and put up a respectable defense of A22 before it was captured. RedBrd does bring a point, if any walk-ins come on, give them to the side who does need it the most I can agree. It's not like we are trying to break the rules either, it's comes down to IMO the people who might have a day off or has nothing going on and participate in the event. Just my .2 cents
Be Prepared To "Get Lanced!"

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2024, 10:12:34 AM »
I'll tell you what I think concerning this issue.

I think we, as a gaming community, have a rapidly changing environment, which is very unpredictable.

A lot of fluctuation...

Fluctuation that we can not always control.

Here are the things I think we want.

• We want to keep meeting most Friday nights to fly FSO.
  • We want a larger player base.
  • We don't want to alienate players such that they don't want to participate anymore.
  • We want an established and communicated set of rules and policies to guide the event.

These are all hard to maintain with no consistency.

In general, I want to personally recommend these suggestions, not as an AK, but as a player.

• Remove walk-ons from the event. Players need to commit to a squad to eliminate this kind of fluctuation.
  • Throughly communicate this change to the wider community so that the change is well known and understood.
  • If we remove walk-ons, each squad will post a listing of their player names at the beginning of each month.
  • Each squad needs to have a method of updating their information if the Squad CO leaves the squad and doesn't leave credentials.
  • The CM team should work together to eliminate certain event types. i.e. Pacific... Hard to be historical, to balance, and to keep higher attended without a deeper planeset.

Do I have all the answers, definitely not. Everyone could be doing something else on Friday night, but some of us want to be here.

I few people are doing A LOT OF WORK to make these events happen including Squad CiCs.

If we commit to this event as planners and players it will get better. Outside of that, we're going to continue to deal with this over and over again.

AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 12:05:46 PM »
I'll tell you what I think concerning this issue.

I think we, as a gaming community, have a rapidly changing environment, which is very unpredictable.

A lot of fluctuation...

Fluctuation that we can not always control.

Here are the things I think we want.

• We want to keep meeting most Friday nights to fly FSO.
  • We want a larger player base.
  • We don't want to alienate players such that they don't want to participate anymore.
  • We want an established and communicated set of rules and policies to guide the event.

These are all hard to maintain with no consistency.

In general, I want to personally recommend these suggestions, not as an AK, but as a player.

• Remove walk-ons from the event. Players need to commit to a squad to eliminate this kind of fluctuation.
  • Throughly communicate this change to the wider community so that the change is well known and understood.
  • If we remove walk-ons, each squad will post a listing of their player names at the beginning of each month.
  • Each squad needs to have a method of updating their information if the Squad CO leaves the squad and doesn't leave credentials.
  • The CM team should work together to eliminate certain event types. i.e. Pacific... Hard to be historical, to balance, and to keep higher attended without a deeper planeset.

Do I have all the answers, definitely not. Everyone could be doing something else on Friday night, but some of us want to be here.

I few people are doing A LOT OF WORK to make these events happen including Squad CiCs.

If we commit to this event as planners and players it will get better. Outside of that, we're going to continue to deal with this over and over again.

(Image removed from quote.)
Truth.  :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!