Author Topic: Mic & VPN Questions.  (Read 369 times)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
Mic & VPN Questions.
« on: February 06, 2024, 11:05:35 AM »
1) I recently got a mic, when I hit T to talk everything freezes for 1 second., and then releases, even while still holding it down.

2) Read where someone may have had problems hitting targets when VPN was enabled? Is VPN known to cause lag. Because I have problems hitting planes moving. I can’t possibly suck that bad.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Mic & VPN Questions.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 06:53:33 AM »
VPN most certainly will cause lag. If all your network activity is going through a VPN program (client) and another computer (the VPN server) there's quite a lot extra going on.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 12:24:13 PM »
VPN most certainly will cause lag. If all your network activity is going through a VPN program (client) and another computer (the VPN server) there's quite a lot extra going on.

Thanks,
Exactly what I suspected. I’m (was) using whatever came with Win11. Now trying to figure out if its been harming my kill ratio. I disabled it, now just need time to fly and see if there’s a difference.

Thankd for the confirmation.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Online Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 03:51:21 PM »

Not necessarily true, the answer is it depends.

I use a VPN all the time, the reason is that quite often the peering my ISPs uses results in strange routing to the USA. So instead of 170ms ping I end up with 300ms.

When I use a VPN with a local point of presence (expressvpn) it bypasses the crappy routing my ISP does and chooses a much more effective route and I get a 170ms ping.

However if you a low ping, say 50ms, then there is the potential as Bizman points out for it to add latency to your connection.

It's also worth noting the protocol your vpn uses can have an impact, for example IPSEC VPNs work really well as most intel chips do the cryptography in hardware, and SSL VPNs suck because they do the cryptography in software.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 01:40:08 AM »
Thanks, Vulcan, didn't think of crappy routing. Here in Finland everything is mostly routed through South or Southwest Finland and the game servers are in another country. For some reason they seem to prefer the Sub-Atlantic cables rather than routing through Siberia to Alaska. For that part I stand corrected, the ping times can improve with a VPN if their server is located ideally.

That said, a VPN service provider uses a router to change your IP address to theirs. That requires some computing and as with any sort of computers including routers some maintenance is required for best performance. For home routers that means a reboot every now and then, VPN service routers may not be that easy as they can't just randomly cut the traffic for a minute. Anyhow, we're talking about something that may not affect everyone and/or can depend on the policy and/or the hardware of the VPN service provider.

I would compare potential hardware related issues to the input lag affecting monitors - especially when using a TV with all the bells and whistles on.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 02:17:52 AM »
I have tested with several VPN server locations (65 with my provider) and some increase lag a lot, others just a little, some don't at all. Have to go through all of them to see if I can diminish it. Where might AH server be located?
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 08:17:14 AM »
Where might AH server be located?
Guess it's in Keller, Texas.

Kotisivuni

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 02:08:33 PM »
Guess it's in Keller, Texas.

I thought I had the IP at one point years ago, maybe I’m wrong.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2024, 02:30:35 PM »
The reason I'm finally looking into this is my gunnery is worse that a newbie. NO, I'm not joking. I'm worse than my first month back,.. HOWEVER, I think I did enable VPN since my return. Some may remember a convo in O'Club months back, which included VPN convo.

The other night I had time for 1 flight, two conflicts. I don't want to get ahead of findings, but it seemed I was actually hitting the target quite well. It will take a quite a bit of flying to know if it's due to disabling VPN. Fugative is going to help me figure it out when I get time.

After disabling VPN, the only tweak. In one flight, two encounters, in a P-51D
1) I ran 7-8 strikes right up the spine of a B17. I didn't expect the kill from a P-51. But I got assist.
2) I ran 4-5 strikes up the spine of a LA, didn't get a kill, I chased him home for 5 minutes and he landed in his field guns. So don't think I hit a head wound.

That alone is SOME improvement.

Point: My aim is spot on and doesn't seem to be the problem, >OR< it just got fixed by disabling VPN.

Two encounters prove very little, but hitting 2 of 2 targets (100%) is SEEMINGLY an improvement. Coincidence? Dunno. Need several sorties to answer if VPN disabled had any effect at all.

I'll make further connection tweaks after 10 sorties.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 02:43:44 PM »
Thanks, Vulcan, didn't think of crappy routing. Here in Finland everything is mostly routed through South or Southwest Finland and the game servers are in another country. For some reason they seem to prefer the Sub-Atlantic cables rather than routing through Siberia to Alaska. For that part I stand corrected, the ping times can improve with a VPN if their server is located ideally.

That said, a VPN service provider uses a router to change your IP address to theirs. That requires some computing and as with any sort of computers including routers some maintenance is required for best performance. For home routers that means a reboot every now and then, VPN service routers may not be that easy as they can't just randomly cut the traffic for a minute. Anyhow, we're talking about something that may not affect everyone and/or can depend on the policy and/or the hardware of the VPN service provider.

I would compare potential hardware related issues to the input lag affecting monitors - especially when using a TV with all the bells and whistles on.

My monitor is probably 7+ years old. Highest resolution/refresh rate is 1920x1080, 60 refresh. It's no hotrod. The the PC tower is 1 yr old, with a Nvidia 30360ti. Not sure where I'm sitting on latency, yet.

I have a direct cable connection to Xfinity IntardNet router. It was rebooted 2 weeks ago. Should do it every two weeks.

Recent tweaks
Flushed the DNS Cache
Changed the DNS server (8.8.8.8)
Disabled Windows Update Services
Temporarily Disable Windows Defender Firewall

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2024, 12:45:05 AM »
The age of the monitor doesn't matter that much. If the response time is fast, it's fast. But if there's any video enhancing features included you'd better turn them off as they can add a significant delay in the signal chain.

Kotisivuni

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2024, 04:28:48 AM »
The age of the monitor doesn't matter that much. If the response time is fast, it's fast. But if there's any video enhancing features included you'd better turn them off as they can add a significant delay in the signal chain.

I changed quality settings to performance before I read this. I went quality to make videos.
Made some more connection tweaks

I only fly 1-2 hrs a day, so comparison is not super evident yet.
I did notice hitting targets, got a kill and won an HO which is very rare.

I’ve been hoping I didn’t need to tweak a new computer. Evidently I was wrong.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks