Author Topic: Frame Rate  (Read 343 times)

Offline Driver

• Zinc Member
Frame Rate
« on: February 15, 2024, 11:12:15 AM »
Just returned to the game.  Couple of questions:

1. how do you fire rockets from the PT boats. can't remember...
2. does frame rate matter? I seem to be running at 30 FPS, when I played before, I used to run a frame rate of 60 FPS How can I increase the rate?

Thanks
Driver
The old shall overcome youth, ability and talent by decit, treachery and wickedness

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Frame Rate
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 12:16:23 PM »
Frame rate matters, more or less. In a tight fight it most likely does.

30 FPS has been considered the minimum for enjoyable game play since day 1 and 60 was golden but a couple of things have happened since then. One is that the refresh rate of gaming monitors has increased. Another one is that the resolution of them has also increased. Those two combined or separate require much more calculating power than before. The third one is that AH1 and 2 relied heavily on the CPU (processor) whereas AH3 is like most other modern games and requires a decent video card. You don't need the most expensive one on the market for AH but you definitely need a good one. Posting the first third of your DxDiag output as an attachment here would help telling if that's the culprit.

The fourth thing to take into consideration is that because of the first two now having existed for quite some time, active players have adapted to them and according to tests 60 FPS may not be the upper limit for the human eye to see.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Driver

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 12:31:10 PM »
Thanks for responding Bizman-

Ok not real computer savvy person. I have a gaming desktop with a Navida card. always ran fine a couple of years ago. Don't know how to run the diagnostics for DX. Reset my power on windows to max. game seems to run fine but would prefer to run at 60FPS just so I know I'm getting the most out of the game.
anything you can suggest would be great

Thank!
Driver
The old shall overcome youth, ability and talent by decit, treachery and wickedness

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 01:02:50 PM »
If it's an Nvidia powered desktop which ran AH3 just a couple of years ago, there's nothing that should keep it running it fine today. No major updates in the game since the launch of AH3...

I guess your computer has two video cards, one by Nvidia and another by Intel or AMD, included in the processor. Two things to check: 1) is your monitor hooked to the motherboard connector (vertical) or to the Nvidia card (horizontal)? and 2) if it's correctly hooked to the video card, go to Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D settings and make AH use the Nvidia card. More about the subject here: https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/how-to-switch-between-dedicated-gpu-and-integrated-graphics/
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 02:31:23 PM »
For the PT you go to #7 and then press “O” or whatever you have mapped to the open door command. This swings the rocket tubes around. Then just aim up or down and press the trigger.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 05:02:35 PM »
Just returned to the game.  Couple of questions:

1. how do you fire rockets from the PT boats. can't remember...
2. does frame rate matter? I seem to be running at 30 FPS, when I played before, I used to run a frame rate of 60 FPS How can I increase the rate?

Thanks
Driver

In clipboard/options/graphic detail make sure environment mapping is 0. Try the detail settings to improve framerate.

Make sure you have the graphics card selected not MB video if that's an option on your PC.

Check video card settings, try global performance setting.

Offline Driver

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2024, 09:32:48 AM »
Thank everyone for your help. I've tried all of the suggestions above for frame rate and still stuck on 30. The good news is the game so far seems to be running well at 30 fps.
 I'll reset the enviroment setting for my grey ocean. < that really sucks 😕
Thanks for the info on PT , now I remember.

OK all <S>
Thanks again good to be back and a target for all...  😆

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2024, 03:56:02 AM »
You might want to check the monitor refresh rate in windows.

Windows 11

right click open desktop
left click Display Settings
scroll down to Advanced Display click the right arrow

Check your refresh rate, if it's 30, select 60 if that's what you prefer.

Aces High should then try to run at 60.

There is also a chance that Nvidia control panel could be set to cap frame rate for Aces High at 30 fps even if desktop/monitor is set to 60. That should only be set if someone manually set it on your computer.
That would be under Nvidia 3D Settings>Manage 3D Settings>Program Settings tab.

92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Driver

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 09:44:38 AM »
Frame rate fixed yea! Thanks to all who replied. I went into my computer settings and discovered the refresh rate was set to low.  Increased that and boom issue resolved.

<S>

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 01:39:57 PM »
Good to hear, that issue is hopefully now saved into my bag of tricks. Never seen that before!

Kotisivuni