Author Topic: VOX problems the last few days  (Read 899 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: VOX problems the last few days
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2024, 01:13:17 AM »
why would the connection outside the house cause vox to shutdown but, not the game, or the computer?
If I understand correctly, vox is the most network intensive task in the entire game. I mean, you have the game installed on your computer and you only send and receive coordinates of planes. All the graphics and game sounds are already in your PC and the signals through the Internet only tell where they should appear in your screen and speakers. Voice is different, you produce it on the fly instead of using pre-recorded phrases that already would be stored in other players' systems. That requires a much stabler and stronger connection. Live video is even worse in terms of using bandwidth - back in the day there was a customer who could use Skype for voice but not for video. Something similar might be with your connections, strong enough for location info but not for live speech.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2024, 10:05:30 AM »
If I understand correctly, vox is the most network intensive task in the entire game. I mean, you have the game installed on your computer and you only send and receive coordinates of planes. All the graphics and game sounds are already in your PC and the signals through the Internet only tell where they should appear in your screen and speakers. Voice is different, you produce it on the fly instead of using pre-recorded phrases that already would be stored in other players' systems. That requires a much stabler and stronger connection. Live video is even worse in terms of using bandwidth - back in the day there was a customer who could use Skype for voice but not for video. Something similar might be with your connections, strong enough for location info but not for live speech.

Very interesting and something I did not know.  Thanks!  :aok  Now, to figure out what has changed to create this issue over the last few weeks. 

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2024, 07:09:31 PM »
Very interesting and something I did not know.  Thanks!  :aok  Now, to figure out what has changed to create this issue over the last few weeks.

Server downgrade?

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2024, 08:33:34 AM »
Here’s an interesting, new twist.  I’ve been using a wireless mouse with a dongle plugged in to one of the pc usb ports.  The mouse, when fully charged, stated exhibiting signs of a low battery.  So, plugged in a new, wired mouse yesterday.  Played in game for two plus hours and had no vox issues, no need to “resetv”.

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2024, 08:48:07 AM »
Wow them dang mice sure do make a mess!!

That would be nice if that is the culprit.
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2024, 10:03:33 AM »
Wow them dang mice sure do make a mess!!

That would be nice if that is the culprit.

Second day with the mouse n a leash for about three hours, no vox interruptions.  Appears the wireless one was failing somehow.  Any technical jargon ideas about why this would affect vox, other than “mouse krap”?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2024, 10:54:41 AM »
Second day with the mouse n a leash for about three hours, no vox interruptions.  Appears the wireless one was failing somehow.  Any technical jargon ideas about why this would affect vox, other than “mouse krap”?

My guess it was usb driver related

Glad you figured it out!

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2024, 04:23:37 PM »
My guess it was usb driver related

Glad you figured it out!

Eagler

Thanks!  Tried moving the dongle to different usb ports, with the wireless mouse charged up.  Still had the vox issue.  So, one or both are in failure mode.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2024, 01:31:24 AM »
Thanks!  Tried moving the dongle to different usb ports, with the wireless mouse charged up.  Still had the vox issue.  So, one or both are in failure mode.
If you're willing to play a little more with the wireless, go into Device Manager and from the View tab select Show Hidden Devices. That will show every device that has ever been connected in your system. Then go through USB/Universal Serial Bus controllers, HID/Human Interface Devices and Mice and other pointing devices and uninstall the greyed ones, they aren't currently connected. If it asks about removing the driver as well, it should be safe to do. After a reboot you can plug the wireless dongle in for testing.

Under other devices you may also find tons of greyed disks, most likely from USB sticks you've plugged in every once in a while. They can be removed as well. The same applies to about everything that's greyed out unless you have your gaming gear unplugged. Thus it might be safer to plug every controller and printer into the ports you're going to use for them and put them on so they won't show greyed. Sometimes the names aren't obvious...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2024, 11:30:22 AM »
Thanks Bizeman!  Good ideas and guidance, as always.  :aok

Offline Shrike

• Copper Member
      • Arabian Knights Official Web Page
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2024, 02:10:44 PM »
Are any of you impacted by this audio problem using the Quest Oculus VR?
AKShrike - CO Arabian Knights
USA!!!
http://aksquad.net/
USAF 85-95

Offline Shrike

• Copper Member
      • Arabian Knights Official Web Page
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2024, 10:07:41 AM »
Last night during FSO I discovered if I issue the command .resetv 2 VOX audio returns.

There is someone else in my squad with the same issue and learned if you don't receive audio there does not appear to be an issue with transmitting audio.  For example, when my squad member transmitted I could hear him and I could hear the people responding to him on VOX but he was unable to hear VOX audio.

Perhaps this is isolated to incoming audio for those of us not so lucky to have this problem.

I've programed Voice Attack to issue the resetv command anytime I detect or sense audio is failing.  There are 3 options with this command but #2 appears to be the correct command.
 A work around is better than no solution.
AKShrike - CO Arabian Knights
USA!!!
http://aksquad.net/
USAF 85-95

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2024, 04:00:08 PM »
I have a feeling this is tied to the fact I get random transmissions from people across the map.

Im not tuned to a vox channel ever unless I'm flying with old friends.

Oddly enough.. I'll see and hear chatter with a guy across the map, and we aren't tuned to the same vox???

Chute is one guy that I always hear on radio, yet we are 400 miles apart and not tuned to a common radio.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2024, 04:04:58 PM »
Lazer Does it come in yellow like it's on a tuned text channel? I get that occasionally as well.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2024, 07:36:01 AM »
Lazer Does it come in yellow like it's on a tuned text channel? I get that occasionally as well.

Yeah Vulcan exactly.  I've seen it happen with a few different players, but like I mentioned above, there was one player in particular it happened with quite commonly.