Author Topic: Lt. Earl Erickson - P-51B "Janie Girl" (D7-Y) - 339th FG, 503rd FS - AH3 Rev 1  (Read 749 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
This is a much-needed and long overdue update.  Original here: https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,389547.0.html

___

P-51B-10-NA s/n 42-106710
"Janie Girl" (D7*Y)
Lt. Earl E. Erickson
339th Fighter Group, 503rd Fighter Squadron

This is Lt. Earl Erickson's well-worn P-51B-10-NA (42-106710) "Janie Girl" of the 339th FG, 503rd FS, ETO.  The airplane is the first of three he named after his wife, Jane (two Bs and one D).  It suffered a gear up landing after an engine failure while flown by another pilot, Capt. Donald McClish (MACR 8697). 

Erickson flew 62 missions from 13 May to 17 Oct 1944, scoring one and a half aerial  victories (both FW-190s) along with one on the ground, and was awarded a DFC.  Remarkably,  he had been married to Jane for 64 years at the time of his passing.

Based at Fowlmere, England, the 339th Fighter Group flew its first combat mission on 30 April 1944 and its last on 21 April 1945, one week short of a full calendar year.   During this short time the 339th established the following records:

- Most enemy aircraft destroyed (air-ground) by a group in its first year of combat in the ETO - 692
- Most enemy aircraft destroyed (ground) by a group in its first year of combat - 453
- Most enemy aircraft destroyed (ground) by a group in one month (April 1945) -315
- Most enemy aircraft destroyed (ground) by a group in one week (April 10-16, 1945) - 223
- Most enemy aircraft destroyed (air-ground) in 3 successive assaults (April 10,16,17, 1945) - 291
- Most enemy aircraft destroyed (ground) in 3 successive strafing missions (April 10,16,17,1945) - 290
- First group to destroy 100+ enemy aircraft on single mission (April 10, 1945) - 105
- First group to destroy 100+ enemy aircraft in two missions (April 10 & 16, 1945) - 105/118

« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 10:45:35 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
The Original:

First AH3 Version:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 09:26:09 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Great job.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
 :aok

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Beautiful update.  Well done!

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Excellent update Vraciu.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
New metal looks great. I think the red is too bright. I am not an artist so I am not sure if "bright" is the correct term.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Thanks all.  I can desarurate the red a tad.  It's one of the hardest things to get right but usually less winds up being better.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Thanks all.  I can desarurate the red a tad.  It's one of the hardest things to get right but usually less winds up being better.

Try shifting the red both darker and duller.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member

I think in all 3 new screenshots, the red-white checkerboard are in the sunlight, so this is as bright as we'd ever see the red.  In other lighting conditions it'll show up darker.  Try looking at it from multiple sun angles & times of day, and trust your gut.   Every one of us likely sees a slightly different shade based on our own monitors and settings. 

Whatever you decide, I'll want to know the RGB values to make note of for when I do Punkie II:

« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 10:35:56 AM by oboe »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
You got it. 

Here's what it looks like in the viewer.  Maybe I went too light on the mask underneath.

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Honestly I don't see anything off there.   The red in the shaded area is about as dark as I'd go, the red in the sunlight may be a bit light but that is the nature of the intense direct lighting in AH. 

If you haven't done this already, in the Power and Spec maps you might want to shade the white painted squares and stripes as pure black x'000000'.   Dunno if it'll help much, but its the most you can do.

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
If you haven't done this already, in the Power and Spec maps you might want to shade the white painted squares and stripes as pure black x'000000'.   Dunno if it'll help much, but its the most you can do.

If he makes the white markings black on the P and S maps, they will suffer from much flaring. By using a light shade on those maps for light colored paints, it will produce a semi-gloss finish that reduces the flaring effect by focusing it.

Edit: I use RGB 77,77,77 on the P and S maps for white markings. It's still darker than neutral gray, but it's the lightest color I use for painted surfaces on my spec maps.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 04:40:12 PM by Devil 505 »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Is it the red or the white that's messed up?

Both?
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Is it the red or the white that's messed up?

Both?

The white looks fine to me. I think the red can be adjusted, though.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com