Author Topic: Radio hangups - does anyone else get those ?  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Shrike

• Copper Member
      • Arabian Knights Official Web Page
Re: Radio hangups - does anyone else get those ?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2024, 10:45:15 PM »
On range, there's a four second time-limit that will cut off transmission.  Thank goodness.

It's not my voice transmission that gets cut off.  It's incoming audio that gets cut off.
AKShrike - CO Arabian Knights
USA!!!
http://aksquad.net/
USAF 85-95

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2024, 01:49:19 AM »
I've heard the word discord so many times, I'm already burned out on it, and never been there or used it yet.... I think I'll pass. The people who spread it aren't the most desirable to be around. I wonder if that speaks for it's masses.
It's a tool and as such it can be used in many ways. Similarly to a hammer with which you can drive nails into wood to build something, or you can hit your fingers, bang your head, smash pumpkins...

You can join a massive group and suffer the consequences or you can make your own group for your squad. Fortunately you can only listen to one group at a time!

We've used Discord in AH during scenarios to keep the "official" channels open for instructions and reduce the distraction caused by the hullabaloo of drunken Finns. In normal flying AH vox is of less hassle although there's one advantage with Discord: There's a three seconds delay in vox because of the distance. But as said, having several voice communication apps on can cause issues unless you meticulously check the key mappings of each and every program. Voice activation can help but if you get used to it and someone talks to you through AH vox you may forget to push the tangent for answering. Plus if there's lots of activity on both medias it'll be a cacophony.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2024, 04:24:13 AM »
It's a tool and as such it can be used in many ways. Similarly to a hammer with which you can drive nails into wood to build something, or you can hit your fingers, bang your head, smash pumpkins...

You can join a massive group and suffer the consequences or you can make your own group for your squad. Fortunately you can only listen to one group at a time!

We've used Discord in AH during scenarios to keep the "official" channels open for instructions and reduce the distraction caused by the hullabaloo of drunken Finns. In normal flying AH vox is of less hassle although there's one advantage with Discord: There's a three seconds delay in vox because of the distance. But as said, having several voice communication apps on can cause issues unless you meticulously check the key mappings of each and every program. Voice activation can help but if you get used to it and someone talks to you through AH vox you may forget to push the tangent for answering. Plus if there's lots of activity on both medias it'll be a cacophony.

I was using sarcasm. But, I really have no need for it. I barely use vox
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2024, 06:56:30 AM »
I was using sarcasm. But, I really have no need for it. I barely use vox
Sarcasm aside, and as I said vox is the only option for us here as well unless there's something special going on. May my comment serve those who ponder upon whether one would be better than the other.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2024, 07:44:32 AM »
When I hit T to talk, everything freezes for 1 sec. So I minimize the use.

You always have good advice. I’m just being a smart ars.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2024, 09:20:59 AM »

Sounds almost like T would like to do something else as well. Have you tried assigning Talk to another button for testing?

Kotisivuni

Offline Shrike

• Copper Member
      • Arabian Knights Official Web Page
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2024, 09:37:49 AM »
Yes, I've tried all basic troubleshooting steps.  Used different buttons same problem with VOX.

AKShrike - CO Arabian Knights
USA!!!
http://aksquad.net/
USAF 85-95

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2024, 09:51:05 AM »

I had that issue before with a USB headset.   I tried updating drivers and changing USB ports, but to no avail. 

I switched to a USB sound card with 3.5mm plug.  The micro stutter issue went away.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2024, 10:06:46 AM »
I had that issue before with a USB headset.   I tried updating drivers and changing USB ports, but to no avail. 

I switched to a USB sound card with 3.5mm plug.  The micro stutter issue went away.

Hmm never looked to see if my sound card has usb. I’ve got it into a usb hub.
For whatva reason, my $400 comm HS has 1/8” jacks and the computer doesn’t see them, had to buy a $30 Koss HS.

Gonna have to look into what you posted. Thanks for the heads-up.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 10:33:09 AM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2024, 10:20:08 AM »

I've tried many headsets. Gave up on USB and have used a HyperX Alpha (3.5mm) for a while now. Like it so much I bought a second in case the first ever fails and they've stopped making it.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2024, 10:41:47 AM »
Hmm may have figured it out. We have same problem at work with direct boxes. Its no longer 1/8” its 3.5mm. Too thin for connection. It finally just popped in my old head. I converted a single 4 pin xlr comm connection to two 1/8” jacks for older PC. Wow, I was slow on this one. Forgot all about the difference. Going to prolly swap out for 3.5mm. I should have picked up on this. Soon as I saw 3.5mm a lightbulb went on. “That’s it!”
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 11:11:37 AM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2024, 11:31:02 PM »
It's not my voice transmission that gets cut off.  It's incoming audio that gets cut off.

do you have the option on preferences>voice>play voices in sequence selected?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2024, 08:11:00 AM »
A USB headset will rely on the headset hardware for amplification of both the input and output signals. A 3.5mm will use the amplifier of whatever it is plugged into. Typically that's the sound device on the motherboard. With poor hearing I sometimes find it hard to hear people using a USB mic. Many have said my headset mic is very loud and clear. I can boost it up to 20db above 100% of the Windows volume control.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2024, 08:23:19 AM »
If you use speakers connected to 3.5 (maybe at the rear of the pc) and a headset connected to different 3.5 (maybe the front of the pc) there is a handy little free app that allows you to switch them easily with an icon on the task bar to show you which is active.

AudioSwitch   https://github.com/sirWest/AudioSwitch

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2024, 02:24:55 AM »
do you have the option on preferences>voice>play voices in sequence selected?

semp

mine is selected and i do have the problem. Should it be off ?