Author Topic: P-51B 361st FG "Queen Jean" Question  (Read 265 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
P-51B 361st FG "Queen Jean" Question
« on: February 23, 2024, 05:24:09 PM »
Does the tail emblem look like an Aces of Spades playing card within a grey & white-striped circle, as on the color profile and War Thunder 8K skin?   Or do you think the circle is red & white striped, as it is on the nose art in the color photo?  There exists a model kit decal set for this bird, and it has the circle depicted with red/white stripes.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 05:37:02 PM by oboe »

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: P-51B 361st FG "Queen Jean" Question
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024, 01:45:17 AM »
Looking at this version of the colour photo I would say yellow red stripes on the trim tab.

https://www.americanairmuseum.com/archive/media/media-388370jpg

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2024, 07:47:32 AM »
I should add, it appears to me the color picture was taken later than the B&W - the upper fuselage overpainted D-Day stripes have been removed entirely, and the wing D-Day stripes appear to have been replaced by black theater recognition bands.  The red trim on the air intake below the prop spinner has been removed.

Red would be appropriate as it was the 375thFS squad's color, but I wonder if later in the war it was assigned to the 376th, whose color was yellow?

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2024, 08:40:19 AM »
That red intake kinda looks to be there still.   The shadow is tricking is perhaps.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2024, 10:08:43 AM »
I plan to skin the version in the B&W photo, so the red trim on the air intake will be included, and the plain Ace card on the breather covers.   I *think* the tail art should include the red/white striped disc, and the trim tab would have red stripes also.   The skin and this model builder thought the disc had only white stripes:

The only justification I have for a red/white striped disc on the tail is the red/white striped disc on the nose in the color photo, and one decal set which depicts the red/white striped discs all around.   There is another decal set though that depicts the disc as white-striped only:

I *think* these two images conflict with the B&W photo though, as that seems to show a definite outside border to the disc on the tail - a border that is a painted color (probably red?).

There is this painting/stencil guide from LPS Hobby, which shows the red/white disc but also says the wingtips are blue.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 11:09:03 AM by oboe »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 05:56:16 PM »
Development screenshots.   Not sure about the blue wingtips or the name "Queen Jean" on the right fuse.  Decal makers say its possible and offer the second decal, but no confirmation one way or the other. 

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 06:44:07 PM »
Using this image again in the link below.

https://www.americanairmuseum.com/archive/media/media-388370jpg

I don't think the text is solid red.
It's blue with red shading the card also is painted blue around the edge in this version,even the black and white image hints at a two tone text. The card text is clearly all black.

The wing tip on the left clearly shows up as blue in this image and the right wing just shows a hint of blue.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2024, 09:05:25 PM »
Thank you, Lyric.  Great catch on the wingtips; I'll leave them blue.  Decal set said the blue was on the upper surface only, but I did wrap it around to the lower side just a bit.

The text in all the decal sets is red, with a black drop shadow.  That's what I have done, but I could try increasing the offset one more pixel to make it more noticeable.

The card's outline is actually the panel line for the breather cover plate.  If I added a outline to the card also, the outline looks double thick.

I have learned this aircraft started in the 374th FS and was transferred later to the 375th FS, assigned to a new pilot and I assume crew chief; the adornment to the nose art was probably added then.  At some point the OD was stripped off the upper surface and the D-Day ID stripes on the wings replaced by the black theater recognition bands.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 09:07:49 PM by oboe »

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2024, 09:26:24 AM »
Lookin very nice!  :aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.