Author Topic: Need to ID which program is kicking me out of the game  (Read 606 times)

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Need to ID which program is kicking me out of the game
« on: March 07, 2024, 03:43:53 PM »
Im looking for a program, or a place to look in windows to fine a program that reporting home to the mothership at 10PM eastern. I have notice of any issues normally, but every Saturday night at 10PM it drops me to the desktop. I can click on the AH tray icon and jump back in the game. I dont lose connection, but this thing drops me to the desktop from the game only.

So I need to find which program is doing it. Is there a place to pull logs of all net traffic, of a program that will monitor programs that are grabbing the internet connection for a second?

Thnks

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Need to ID which program is kicking me out of the game
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 03:58:10 PM »
This happens to me fairly frequently - almost every other VR session, or maybe 1 of 3.   Happened twice to me since last scenario.

Doesn't happen if I'm using TrackIR, so I it might be related to WMR or SteamVR...

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 05:25:35 PM »
Perhaps firing up windows resource manager at about 9:30?

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/open-resource-monitor-in-windows-11.13898/

Then monitor via the network tab from there.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 05:27:56 PM by xanax »
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 01:22:14 PM »
Im looking for a program, or a place to look in windows to fine a program that reporting home to the mothership at 10PM eastern. I have notice of any issues normally, but every Saturday night at 10PM it drops me to the desktop. I can click on the AH tray icon and jump back in the game. I dont lose connection, but this thing drops me to the desktop from the game only.

So I need to find which program is doing it. Is there a place to pull logs of all net traffic, of a program that will monitor programs that are grabbing the internet connection for a second?

Thnks

This used to happen to me occasionally. Hasn’t happened in a while now.
It could be a service or something to do with windows defender taking focus.

I made the tweaks I collected in the link below,… and set unneeded services to manual or disabled and disabled every startup item I don’t need running. Anything automatic updates disabled.

Ccleaner has a system optimizer that will analyze show resource hogs on your computer you can put to sleep. It will also update drivers.
Been using it for 25-30 yrs. Link on the page below along with another app for tweaking.

It can take a long time to catch an intermittent culprit, once in a while it clicks right in.

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 04:10:36 AM »
There's a bunch of widely used programs and apps that run in the background and occasionally check for updates. Acrobat Reader, Steam and other similar game related apps, Discord, whatever... Hard to remember since my Notification Area is pretty sparsely populated. But I've often seen over a dozen icons there on other people's computers. Young gamers seem to have Steam, Epic, Origin, Nvidia Experience etc. there, older people may have TomTom, Common Creations, Teams etc. The common nominator for those is that they have a setting that prevents them from automatically starting when you log in. When set up so they don't automatically start a simple reboot before starting a game will shut them down if you've used them and left them in the background.

Then there's the less obvious ones running in the background. Allowing Windows notifications with sound and pop-up for all programs should be easy to spot but the Don't Disturb mode can hide the visible interference. Not to mention the less obvious programs running in the background: Edge and Chrome. Both default "Continue running in the background when closed". What's worse, Edge also defaults starting when logging in and loading the start page "for faster browsing". If you're using your Microsoft account for logging in, by default you're also logging into Edge - including Copilot. I don't know how much a system using Microsoft recommended settings actually listens to you but I'm sceptical about "Game mode" actually working for other than AAA titles preferably belonging to Microsoft's catalog.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2024, 06:59:20 AM »
Mcafee AV is the program that gets me!  If I, well when I(more accurate) jump into game after a Power On or a Re-start...guaranteed 3 or 4 kicks to desktop."We have detected x # of temprary files/Trackers/Breaches...upgrade to fix... :furious   I have Notifications OFF, Priority Only, Do Not Disturb and even Game Mode On! Still gets me. :bhead  An Invidia "Update Available" got me during the last frame of MOTA.  :bhead  When these 'to desktop' instances happen out of ordinary situations...a Windows Update is ready to install or several System Drivers need updating(I use Driver Easy program for updates). A day or so later...Driver Easy has 9 things that need updated...still sucks, having to alt-tab back in game. Especially in VR..IYKYK lol  Where did I put my keyboard? :rofl
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Kini

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2024, 11:23:47 AM »
Think about using a port monitor with logging capabilities maybe? Many free uses out there in the universe.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2024, 01:23:45 PM »
Think about using a port monitor with logging capabilities maybe? Many free uses out there in the universe.
I had to do this to figure out a damn USB device that kept connecting/disconnecting. Every few minutes I'd hear the sound and it was absolutely infuriating!  :rofl
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2024, 01:26:37 PM »
Mcafee AV is the program that gets me!  If I, well when I(more accurate) jump into game after a Power On or a Re-start...guaranteed 3 or 4 kicks to desktop."We have detected x # of temprary files/Trackers/Breaches...upgrade to fix... :furious   I have Notifications OFF, Priority Only, Do Not Disturb and even Game Mode On! Still gets me. :bhead  An Invidia "Update Available" got me during the last frame of MOTA.  :bhead  When these 'to desktop' instances happen out of ordinary situations...a Windows Update is ready to install or several System Drivers need updating(I use Driver Easy program for updates). A day or so later...Driver Easy has 9 things that need updated...still sucks, having to alt-tab back in game. Especially in VR..IYKYK lol  Where did I put my keyboard? :rofl
Back in the day Skuzzy once said that he'd rather get a proper virus into his PC than McAfee or Norton...

Driver Easy and others of that ilk are totally unnecessary. Basically you'd only need to update a driver when there's a problem. Often - or at least that's how it used to be - such programs offer updates that may not even be for your particular devices! That reminds me of my ancient sound card which didn't work any longer as supposed. It appeared that there was a driver update for a model carrying the same name/number. Finally found it in India, downloaded and force installed. Did it unleash the desired properties? Sort of. Was it stable? Hell no! The fancy drivers weren't meant for the sub-model sold here.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2024, 01:27:46 PM »
I had to do this to figure out a damn USB device that kept connecting/disconnecting. Every few minutes I'd hear the sound and it was absolutely infuriating!  :rofl

Hoe is this done if I can ask?

I think my vr cable is getting flaky again as I am hearing the dings

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2024, 04:33:18 PM »
Hoe is this done if I can ask?

I think my vr cable is getting flaky again as I am hearing the dings

Eagler
I used this program:
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_log_view.html

Pretty simple...unzip, run exe, monitor the log.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 09:08:01 PM »
Norton and McAfee will never get on my computer. They are way over bloated resources sucking nightmares. Ya just don’t need it. Way too many false negatives.

Been running no anti-virus for 10 yrs at least. I just use small anti-spyware app or Defender, and thats not even on. I don’t advise it, but I do it.

Haven’t had 1 virus in 20 yrs.

Of course, I don’t care if I do, I can format C drive and reload it back to normal in 2hrs.

My drives have a total of 8 equal partitions. The only thing on C drive is OS.
I have a custom registry file that tells the new system where things are located, and some tweaks. I run all temp folders on other drives, C: rarely needs defrag. I never lose anything.

Even if one dies use those programs, its a nice recovery setup.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2024, 09:54:39 PM »
I used this program:
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_log_view.html

Pretty simple...unzip, run exe, monitor the log.

How do you down load it, kept getting other software downloads.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2024, 12:12:05 PM »
How do you down load it, kept getting other software downloads.

Here's the direct zip link: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usblogview.zip

FlyKommando.com

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2024, 02:35:06 PM »
Thankyou Spikes  :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76