Author Topic: ISP Address  (Read 708 times)

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
ISP Address
« on: March 26, 2024, 09:06:46 AM »
Can a player access your ISP Address while you're in game? A player has made threats about the dark web, and I would like to know if he can get web address from game or BB.
 I can handle in game disputes but a threat of meeting face to face or dark web antics is not acceptable.
AkCaine

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
Re: ISP Address
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 10:46:23 AM »
Nobody can track your location via IP address. Like mine, when checked, shows location from 60 to 300 miles from spot where I am. Threatening to creep in using it is ages old pitiful internet warriors way to try to look scary and dangerous. Those using it are (at least mentally) infantile. You can easily check yours for example here.

I have managed to meet face to face some heroes, who have been threatening to beat or even kill me. So far no success for them.     :D
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 10:55:11 AM »
Wow, that is pretty sad when a player has to drop to that level. One would first question their humanity, then their sense of reality (sanity).

While you and I may not agree on everything, and I'm sure you know I'm right and your wrong on those disagreements  :devil, this is a game not life. Hang in there buddy, this individual will have his day.  :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 11:25:42 AM »
Years ago, my wife and I got a restraining order against a neighbor for harassing our kids. When we were in court the lawyer told us "This only works if you are dealing with a rational person" I am concerned I am not dealing with a rational person now.
AkCaine

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 12:47:43 PM »
Wow, that is pretty sad when a player has to drop to that level. One would first question their humanity, then their sense of reality (sanity).

While you and I may not agree on everything, and I'm sure you know I'm right and your wrong on those disagreements  :devil, this is a game not life. Hang in there buddy, this individual will have his day.  :salute

For some individuals, the game seems to be the only form of life. Maybe aging together with dropping testo and dying libido creates hostility and kills reasoning.

Years ago, my wife and I got a restraining order against a neighbor for harassing our kids. When we were in court the lawyer told us "This only works if you are dealing with a rational person" I am concerned I am not dealing with a rational person now.

You certainly aren't dealing with a person who has every gear and sprocket in correct place between ears.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 04:02:02 PM »
Can a player access your ISP Address while you're in game? A player has made threats about the dark web, and I would like to know if he can get web address from game or BB.
 I can handle in game disputes but a threat of meeting face to face or dark web antics is not acceptable.

If you're genuinely concerned about a dangerous individual, you may want to send some form of report to the FBI. I suspect they have wonderous tools to track this type of person.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 04:57:59 PM »
I would only be concerned if you emailed them, depending on where you emailed from a lot of personal info can be gleaned from the email headers and that and some nmap could end up with more info then you would want out there.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 06:29:12 PM »
No. At most he could track down your ISP. Beyond that he is lost. Most consumer grade connections use dynamic IP addresses, that is they change from time to time, and some even use CGNAT - where an IP address as shared among multiple users.

Where to be concerned is any info that may lead them back to social media accounts, e.g. anything you might post among squadies. Once you get someones social media profile then things start to open up.

Also the references to the dark web shows the person is likely a moron.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2024, 07:47:26 PM »

Also the references to the dark web shows the person is likely a moron.

Seems about right…
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2024, 01:54:06 AM »
I have in the past starting with an IP from an email header, gathered other information and geolocated it to a specific location.
There's a bunch of tools out there:
https://w3c.github.io/geolocation-api
https://www.iplocation.net/myip
https://support.google.com/websearch/workflow/9308722?visit_id=638470961001929147-3633957957&rd=1
https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip-location-correction

With my old internet provider, if I opened google.com/maps on my computer which was wired directly to a router with SPI firewall, that was wired directly to a modem (no GPS or WIFI) it would show the exact location on google maps or any tool used to determine location. This wasn't something on my computer as I don't use windows, I dump all my cookies on browser exit and other more paranoid stuff.  My new provider uses CGNAT  and shows a location 100 miles away and that is without using a VPN.

Don't believe that somebody with some skills cannot track down your location even without an IP. There's lots of databases out there scooping up all kinds of data. I'd put money on Steve Rambam or Kevin Mitnick tracking you down within a week if they were so inclined. I have had the chance to see them demonstrate their work. I doubt this person is either :)

I agree. dark web comments are usually maroons.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2024, 08:24:24 AM »
Well we can see you are from Kalifornia from just clicking on your name  :aok

So that narrows it down lol

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2024, 09:06:35 AM »
Neither the game nor the bbs exposes IP, only HT can see that.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2024, 09:13:10 AM »
Well we can see you are from Kalifornia from just clicking on your name  :aok

So that narrows it down lol

Eagler

Dang, now it gets dangerous. Mighty Avenger just goes to California and beats everyone having pc and internet connection. Time to start evacuations!     :uhoh

The Mad   CatMan!

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2024, 10:40:41 AM »
There is a guy on rooks that seems to know a bunch of this stuff.  Next time your over there drop him a line.  His callsign is 99capera.

Offline capera

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2024, 11:51:12 AM »
This is comical. I made one comment on 200 about......"Have you ever heard about the Dark Web"?  .....because a bunch of trolls were puffin up their chests on 200 and the question was more to wake them up that there are ways to be identified if you choose to be a malicious avacado on 200.

Now look at all the trolls being all nervous that there is an entity out there....that can do that job. I never once said I was going to access or use it. I mearly asked IF they ever heard of it. Did i tell these people attacking me on 200 that I would love to have them stand in front of me, and say the rotten things they said.....hell YES. Still stand behind that., but common folks..are you really going to believe that I would do something like that? I may not back down from aholes on 200 and say that I would LOVE for them to say that to my face....but it is THEM attacking me and this is my response to being attacked.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 12:28:15 PM by capera »