Author Topic: Why not go Free to play?  (Read 2874 times)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: Why not go Free to play?
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2024, 03:54:59 PM »
Not sure how I screwed this up but this is what I was trying to quote:

My local grocery did it with Tillamook cheese the other day. They had little cubes of the stuff with tooth picks spread out on a table in the deli. After eating a half dozen or so, I convinced myself to buy a block of that cheese.

That loss-leader stuff works sometimes.

Just sayin'

Please stop with the logic! You will make somebodies head explode!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 04:12:57 PM by hazmatt »

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2024, 04:09:59 PM »
Time passes, products change. I tried shaving with a straight razor but it was too much work.

Same. took too long and I barely had enough TP for the blood. I looked like a cherry blossom tree in full bloom. I coulda swore I heard my Norelco laughing from the drawer.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2024, 05:09:04 PM »
Still funny to see all these analogies as to why F2P is a bad idea as all the modern and biggest flight Sims are doing that. Just be honest and say you're happy how things are as the game slowly dies. It's your own little play ground, used by mostly older players and you'd get a larger variety if it went F2P.

To keep using these analogies that don't relate to flight sims and with having all sims using a F2P model is just silly. At this point to say F2P wouldn't work is just a dumb statement, it's literally the business model of all the big successful sims out there.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2024, 05:16:46 PM »
Not sure how I screwed this up but this is what I was trying to quote:

My local grocery did it with Tillamook cheese the other day. They had little cubes of the stuff with tooth picks spread out on a table in the deli. After eating a half dozen or so, I convinced myself to buy a block of that cheese.

That loss-leader stuff works sometimes.

Just sayin'

Please stop with the logic! You will make somebodies head explode!

how many shoppers just eat the cheese and walk by withouth buying a block?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2024, 05:33:17 PM »

semp

How many buy the block without hearing or trying it?

At this point the current base is keeping the servers afloat.  If some free to play guys want to come get addicted and end up subscribing to enable skins  and all aircraft... well.. sounds like a win win.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2024, 05:35:16 PM »
At this point it won't hurt to try it.  16-player is what convinced me to sub.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2024, 05:42:33 PM »

Does it matter if the net sales increase enough to make it worth it?

Many, many moon ago I was playing a game where the devs were still trying to charge by the hour. 

I begged and pleaded with those guys to try going flat rate.  They were so terrified that 5 guys in a dorm room might all share the account and take turns playing.  I was like, "What do you care?  More than likely those guys wouldn't have gotten individual accounts anyway and worse case scenario you have players in the arena so the people who are paying have someone to shoot at."  Never could convince them.  Arena had fewer and fewer paying customers with less and less action.  No critical mass.  Colony collapse.  Game shut down.

But boy they made sure there wasn't two guys in a dorm room robbing them of a subscription.  They showed them.

At the time AH went flat rate that was revolutionary.  They saw the market had changed and they innovated and crushed the competition that still stubbornly trying to stick with an outdated hourly monetization model.  It was a risk, but failing to evolve with evolving market expectations is also a risk.

The market has not stopped evolving since.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2024, 05:46:08 PM »
Still funny to see all these analogies as to why F2P is a bad idea as all the modern and biggest flight Sims are doing that. Just be honest and say you're happy how things are as the game slowly dies. It's your own little play ground, used by mostly older players and you'd get a larger variety if it went F2P.

To keep using these analogies that don't relate to flight sims and with having all sims using a F2P model is just silly. At this point to say F2P wouldn't work is just a dumb statement, it's literally the business model of all the big successful sims out there.

Boomer thing?

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2024, 05:51:43 PM »

semp

I don't know but they keep doing it. Today I had 2 of those mini pigs in blankets. I didn't buy any but I'm sure some did.

I see it at Costco all the time too.

I wasn't making a case for or against FTP, I was only pointing out that the loss-leader concept is real and seems to work in many instances.

The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2024, 05:57:02 PM »
I don't know but they keep doing it. Today I had 2 of those mini pigs in blankets. I didn't buy any but I'm sure some did.

I wasn't making a case for or against FTP, I was only pointing out that the loss-leader concept is real and seems to work in many instances.

You know a lot of gas stations make very little off the fuel they sell.  Some might even take a slight loss.
What they make their money on is when you go in while you are there and pick up a 12-pack an bag of chips and a slim-jim.
The fuel was just the loss-leader to pull in the traffic.

Same with big store sales in Walmart and such.  They may even take a slight loss on the sale items.  What they are hoping is while you are there you will buy other stuff and the net result is profit.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2024, 06:13:10 PM »

Another good example is ladies night at bars.

Think of the money they lose giving free drinks to all those girls.

But girls are the target rich environment that draws in the guys and you make your money off the drinks the guys buy. 

Try and maximize profit by stopping ladies drink free and they leave and now there are no targets for the guys and then they leave too.

Perhaps penny wise, pound foolish.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2024, 06:34:08 PM »
Boomers control the world and will be around a while yet. If you don't want us to take it with us be nice.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2024, 06:39:14 PM »
Boomers control the world and will be around a while yet. If you don't want us to take it with us be nice.

Soylent Green.

;)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2024, 07:37:13 PM »

So your tribe wants players who are used to 120-700 in the same arena to then step down 5 steps into F2P with 30-50? These people are upset when it drops below 100. What you don't understand is that's why most are here. Massive Multiplayer, which those games do not have, nor 100% human piloted scenarios. We don't use AI to make up the number differences with lameness.

I find it belittling to try to make these people out as stupid because they don't see things their way of fools gold. They are money pits for lameness.

Let us know when you can fit over 100 humans and maybe we'll give it a brief thought.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 07:39:56 PM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2024, 08:06:44 PM »