Author Topic: Bizarre interwebz things  (Read 325 times)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
Bizarre interwebz things
« on: April 06, 2024, 01:50:59 PM »
I use my iPad a lot, everyday. I use many browsers for different reasons, like Opera for banking, Maxthon for fantasy sports stuff… Predominately though, I use Safari (Apple) for most things. I have NEVER seen anything like this before and prior to nursing I was in IT w/CIS degree; my Twitter “X” tab icon has changed to the ALCU.   

:headscratch: :noid

All my other tab icons have either no icon or the appropriate company logo. Anyone, ideas?
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
Re: Bizarre interwebz things
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 01:52:05 PM »
It’s been two days and I’ve written X about it to no avail, yet.

I’ve never visited the ALCU website on this device, the last time I can recall going there was years for nursing essay…
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 01:54:41 PM by RotBaron »

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 02:02:08 PM »
Sounds like someone here that has been boasting about using the dark webs to threaten people has used it to infect your ipad. since it has the alcu stuck on it, id recommend smashing it with a hammer and then burning it so it dont spread its disease to your other devices
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2024, 02:26:39 PM »
 :confused:
 :uhoh

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 03:59:18 PM »
Not sure what Twitter x should look like as I don't use it but do you have the same issue with your chrome browser?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2024, 05:25:20 PM »
Most likely, your cache or local data has become corrupted. Clear your local browser cache completely and then revisit X in your browser. That should re-download the .ico file(s) needed for the proper tab icon.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2024, 05:31:26 PM »
Not sure what Twitter x should look like as I don't use it but do you have the same issue with your chrome browser?

Eagler

I frequent X (Twitter) but only in my PC Chrome browser. No irregularities there beyond the normal irregularities.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 05:22:37 PM »
I will try that, thank you.

As always with Apple products, every update puts things in a different location than before.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2024, 01:10:39 AM »
Just as a reminder, there's a simple often overlooked thing to improve both security and performance of smart phones, tablets - and if logic doesn't fail on me also smart-TV's: Restart the device! Simple as that.

That will flush temporary memory and fix any cumulated glitches.

As an example, my Android tablet which I got used years ago told that there's only 4% energy left so I plugged the charger in. Next morning I unplugged it and - still only 4%! Double checked that the charger was properly in the wall socket and the USB cable in the charger and let it charger overnight. Still 4%, worked fine wired, though. Asked about a battery change but they said it's not doable with that model so I let it be until one day much later I got the idea of restarting. Lo and behold! It has worked fine for years since that! Of course since then I've rebooted it several times as a maintenance procedure.

And no, this is not my idea found by trial and error. Not too long ago I read an article about "This simple task will improve the security of your smart phone" where some big name was quoted about rebooting smart devices.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2024, 09:29:21 AM »
After “updating” my iPad to iOS 17.4.1, it performed normally.  After being out of town a five hour drive away with minimal iPad use (most of the time in airplane mode), the iPad had all kinds of strange things going on after returning home; calendar was completely cleaned out, safari bookmarks were gone, email & text history missing, etc.  While searching for fixes, found the “turn it off and back on” recommendation.  After doing that, everything on the iPad was normal.  Love it when the solution is simple. 

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2024, 09:34:26 AM »
After “updating” my iPad to iOS 17.4.1, it performed normally.  After being out of town a five hour drive away with minimal iPad use (most of the time in airplane mode), the iPad had all kinds of strange things going on after returning home; calendar was completely cleaned out, safari bookmarks were gone, email & text history missing, etc.  While searching for fixes, found the “turn it off and back on” recommendation.  After doing that, everything on the iPad was normal.  Love it when the solution is simple.

You should reboot all electronic equipment at least once a week. Ipads, phones, tablets, computers, even your router and modem should be rebooted now and then, but not as often as the others. I do mine every few months.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2024, 09:43:01 AM »
Here's something I learned relatively recently. Depending on your BIOS and Windows settings your Windows PC may be storing a system state when you shut down (not restart) and then use that system state to boot faster when you power it back on. This is really something you do not want to happen. You can check your system using a method detailed below. Oddly enough, restarting rather than shutting down, does not do this.

https://teamdynamix.umich.edu/TDClient/30/Portal/KB/ArticleDet?ID=11475
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.