Author Topic: Did I NEED an M211? No. Is it awesome HECK YEAH!  (Read 481 times)

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
Did I NEED an M211? No. Is it awesome HECK YEAH!
« on: April 13, 2024, 11:20:04 AM »
  SO there I was searching for a small pickup or maybe a full-size truck and even made an inquiry on a nice Chevy Colorado that looked much like one I used to own with a nice little lift and bigger tires. When my son said hey Dad look at this.   What he had found was a 1954 M211 Deuce and a half.  At first, it was just something cool and we just kinda chuckled about it but as we talked we couldn't stop giggling and well one thing led to another annnnnndd welll the little boy in me wouldn't stay quiet.   
  My best friend tried to be the voice of reason asking me "Don't you have some home improvements that you could spend that money on?"    I responded with yes but then I thought of pulling into Home Depot with this thing to pick up the building supplies for said home improvements!   Ayy ayyy you see where I'm going here right?   
 I talked to the mine boss at work telling him that I was looking at buying a real man's truck and he responded with "Oh so you're going to buy a Ford?"  I said no, it's a GM and he scoffs but after showing him the pictures he finally had to admit that yes this was a manly truck as he walked away to get into his cute little King Ranch...

Just went in yesterday and fed it some gas and the 302 inline six came to life and reved up sounding really nice without blowing smoke all over or clattering. Need to clean out the carb as it won't idle well but it had a bunch of old gas in it so that's not really surprising.

Anyway, what do you think of my new pickup?  :grin:     Ok maybe the pics will com up now....

« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 12:05:34 PM by Flayed1 »
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: Did I NEED an M211? No. Is it awesome HECK YEAH!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 12:00:46 PM »
  SO there I was searching for a small pickup or maybe a full-size truck and even made an inquiry on a nice Chevy Colorado that looked much like one I used to own with a nice little lift and bigger tires. When my son said hey Dad look at this.   What he had found was a 1954 M211 Deuce and a half.  At first, it was just something cool and we just kinda chuckled about it but as we talked we couldn't stop giggling and well one thing led to another annnnnndd welll the little boy in me wouldn't stay quiet.   
  My best friend tried to be the voice of reason asking me "Don't you have some home improvements that you could spend that money on?"    I responded with yes but then I thought of pulling into Home Depot with this thing to pick up the building supplies for said home improvements!   Ayy ayyy you see where I'm going here right?   
 I talked to the mine boss at work telling him that I was looking at buying a real man's truck and he responded with "Oh so you're going to buy a Ford?"  I said no, it's a GM and he scoffs but after showing him the pictures he finally had to admit that yes this was a manly truck as he walked away to get into his cute little King Ranch...

Just went in yesterday and fed it some gas and the 302 inline six came to life and reved up sounding really nice without blowing smoke all over or clattering. Need to clean out the carb as it won't idle well but it had a bunch of old gas in it so that's not really surprising.

Anyway what do you think of my new pickup?  :grin:

(Image removed from quote.)

I was going to say "pics or it didn't happen!", but I see the links didn't work.  Even if I can't see it, I'm super jealous.  I have been joking around about buying a deuce and a half for a long time!  I think it'd be a fun piece of equipment to have!

Edit:  Saw the pics.  Now I'm even more jealous.  Nice find
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 12:10:25 PM »
 Yeah was having some issues with image hosting. I think it's fixed now...     The biggest question is going to be the transmission as I couldn't drive it around to check but the price was right even if I have to put more into it.  Told my son that if I bought it he gets to help fix it and the response I got was "Hell Yeah!"   lol

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 12:19:45 PM »
Cool! Parts aren't an issue?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 06:02:41 PM »
getting it legal is always the issue. Good luck sir
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2024, 06:49:36 PM »
Will you be required to have and pass a DOT inspection in order to get a license?

What about having it classed as an agricultural vehicle?

There is a farmer by here that has a deuce and a half licensed as an ag vehicle but he doesnt use it as one, he drives it up and down the highways.
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2024, 08:38:46 PM »
All the best things were made in 1954. Everyone says so.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2024, 11:34:38 PM »
That gal looks like she needs a lot of work done.  That being said, I'd take one as well.  :D

Hopefully you can get her in great shape.  :aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 09:35:37 AM »
Congrats! How does the frame and underside look? I guess you are going to be flipping off prius drivers in the near future. Gonna send a pic to gretta?   :rofl
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2024, 11:18:35 AM »
 Ok as far as parts go, I've found a few sites that sell many parts for them but I'm positive that I'll run into some that are a pain to get. Have seen several instances where people have made substitutions for things like the master brake cylinder and such that may take a bit of engineering to make them work on something this old.   But being inventive to keep old things running is pretty much my job at work so more of the same. :)
  Don't need a special license to drive it (it's not that heavy) though I see that in Oregon, where I live they can get fussy about trying to make people register similar trucks as commercial vehicles because it has air over hydraulic brakes. Looks like there are a few options though like registering as a special interest vehicle but that limits the mileage you can legally drive it and then you're only supposed to be taking it to parades, vehicle club events, and such. The third option I see is to install a permanent sleeping and cooking area and register it as an RV for $300 a year and now that I'm thinking about it I have plans floating around in my head.... Little welding here a bolt or two there..... Hmmmm    :D  Would be my go-anywhere camper...  I can see a neat little fold-out section on the bed that could be tucked in tight to give full use of the bed as well. And yes AG vehicle might work as well as I do live in an agricultural area. The cows on the other side of the road woke us up the other morning, having a squabble at 1:30 AM.... Damn cows.    The truck does have a slow-moving vehicle sign on it so that may have been how it was being operated before it got stuck in storage.
  From everything I've seen the insurance for these is cheap. $200 a year down to like $90 some odd if you go the special interest route.

And it really is in quite nice shape vorlon.  Has a few rusty patches starting under the paint but nothing major considering the year and that this looks to be the original paint it looks good.
 Totally plan on repainting it just like original. You can just make out all the numbers that were on the side of the hood still.  Not to mention it is made of pretty thick steel so I can cut and weld patches in without too much trouble I think if the rust is bad enough in those areas.  Everything is really solid frame-wise, with no major corrosion to speak of.  It looked good enough in person that we were half tempted to pick it up even before we got the engine to turn over but I wasn't quite ready to take that much of a risk. :)   Really the worst thing cosmetically was that the driver's seat is pretty well shot but that's normal. Maybe I'll put a nice air ride in it :P
  I'll be trying to get it running fully next weekend. Like I said need to clean out the carb and fuel tank and check if the fuel pump is working. At least the tank and pump are easy to get to.  :D  Need to hook the drive lines back up as they were disconnected to tow it to the storage facility and check the brakes of course because that might cause an interesting drive back home...

I'll get more detailed pics next week for ya all.  ;)

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2024, 01:16:02 PM »
Just about anything on the brakes can be rebuilt. There are military vehicle associations you should join for help. That old 302 Jimmy 6 is still well supported, as it is a favorite of the antique hot rodders, it was quite popular in the day. If you look, there are old school shops still in business that can rebuild stuff for it. Like the clutch, water pump, etc. It might be good to consider modernizing the electrical system. It'll make it safer and more reliable, without fundamentally altering the character. Driveshaft parts are pretty standard, and a good shop can engineer replacements. Flushing and upgrading all the fluids will also be a good idea. Enjoy it.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2024, 05:02:22 AM »
Pretty handy shopping cart you found, congratulations!     :D
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2024, 01:32:58 PM »
We have a few around here in parade shape.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2024, 05:41:01 PM »
Looks like the jeeper creeper truck kinda. Vintage look. Great toy  :cheers:
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2024, 08:51:07 PM »
 It's officially MINE!!!!!   Worked on her all day yesterday.  Oiled cylinders, cleaned fuel tank, got the pump turning (Varnish yuck).  She started and the more she ran the better she got. Was able to move forward and back in low range at least so I at least know the tranny has some life.  The master brake cylinder was dead but just ordered a replacement that looks close enough to work with it and should be here Wednesday.  :) 
 Oh, and the insurance office was fun lol.  I had 4 agents all huddled in the back having a meeting for about 15 minutes trying to figure out what to do.  They finally figured out I can do it under a commercial policy as an agricultural truck.  Yep I'm buying it to haul me some hay for the woman's 3 mini goats... Yeah that's why...  :angel: