Author Topic: I heard a rumor that I hope is untrue.  (Read 3768 times)

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Re: I heard a rumor that I hope is untrue.
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2024, 01:00:50 PM »
I’m here for the tears of the jokers. I store them in small vessels and use them from time to time to wash my balls off after playing golf and getting stuck in the sand bars (usually whiskey induced).

:rofl

Totally understand, wish more people fought like you, it could revive the game.

Joker is a pretty cool dude on a side note.  But yeah, busting up that group is fun.  Usually by the time I log in, most of them are gone.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2024, 01:02:24 PM »
Don't take this question the wrong way.. I enjoy having you here.. it at least puts some life into the game.

But with other sims out there, with larger audiences, and your skill ability.. why do you play this?

Same to your skwad.. you guys are all so awesome, and like other threads state, there is so much better out there.

What keeps you here?

It's a fair question and a very simple answer: The persistent, single online arena made fights more consistent here than IL2 or DCS. That was the literal SINGLE reason I came here over IL2 originally: the constant Main Arena that was always online and it was the main (or one of two main) server(s). I wanted nonstop action and for that, you need a server where everyone is concentrated. That was the one advantage of AH and so I came here.

Now that numbers have dropped, that no longer holds weight. I've actually been flying IL2 and transitioning to DCS. At least half of our squad will be going to DCS soon.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2024, 01:12:05 PM »
DCS is ghey, you know it.  :old:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2024, 01:24:12 PM »
That would be me. I've never tried another sim (except for DCS, which lasted all of 30 minutes because I couldn't get the dang plane moving  :rofl).  However, I have been willing to try others.  I just enjoy AH and the nostalgia it brings me.

Nothing wrong with that.

There is a lot that AH does right.  A lot other sims could learn from AH, and vice versa.

I think AH has a larger potential market.  I think it makes a reasonable compromise between hardcore fidelity and gamey non-sense.  Those are conscious design choices.  Many want more that gamey WT but may not want the fetish level of DCS.  AH is right in the meat of that curve, but is unable to capture the potential for various reasons.    That doesn't necessarily mean AH needs to add more engine management.

I think it's complexity is in a good sweet-spot for a wide range of players.  It is other issues keeping it from capturing it's market potential, which is probably larger than is what is looking for DCS' level.

Too far down the Sim axis and it can become burdensome to more players who aren't as OCD. 
Too far down the Gamey axis and it begins to not reward skill.  Too gamey and everybody just gets their turn to be lucky.  There is not enough there for a skilled player to achieve any edge as a reward for having developed skills.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 02:49:44 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2024, 02:42:23 PM »
Nothing wrong with that.

There is a lot that AH does right.  A lot other sims could learn from AH, and visa versa.

I think AH has a larger potential market.  I think it makes a reasonable compromise between hardcore fidelity and gamey non-sense.  Those are conscious design choices.  Many want more that gamey WT but may not want the fetish level of DCS.  AH is right in the meat of that curve, but is unable to capture the potential for various reasons.    That doesn't necessarily mean AH needs to add more engine management.

I think it's complexity is in a good sweet-spot for a wide range of players.  It is other issues keeping it from capturing it's market potential, which is probably larger than is what is looking for DCS' level.

Too far down the Sim axis and it can become burdensome to more players who aren't as OCD. 
Too far down the Gamey axis and it begins to not reward skill.  Too gamey and everybody just gets their turn to be lucky.  There is not enough there for a skilled player to achieve any edge as a reward for having developed skills.

I'm gonna take exception to us sim lovers being called OCD.

And it's vice versa. ;P
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2024, 02:56:52 PM »
After hearing players talk about what they think ACM is and their overall lack of ability…
I've actually been flying IL2 and transitioning to DCS. At least half of our squad will be going to DCS soon.

Seeing as how inept we all are, why wait? Do us all a solid and just go now. Your squad is welcome to stay though.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2024, 03:02:35 PM »

Seeing as how inept we all are, why wait? Do us all a solid and just go now. Your squad is welcome to stay though.

Why? So you can brag about being a real pilot when you die ingame, as if none of us are real pilots too? Lmao I still remember the day you tried to use that as a comeback for losing.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2024, 03:49:42 PM »
It's a fair question and a very simple answer: The persistent, single online arena made fights more consistent here than IL2 or DCS. That was the literal SINGLE reason I came here over

Horse crap.

AH is far easier to manipulate with Game-the-Game stupidity... among other "similar" things.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2024, 04:03:09 PM »
I'm gonna take exception to us sim lovers being called OCD.

And it's vice versa. ;P

You don't HAVE to be OCD to love hardcore sim'ing, but it helps. ;)

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2024, 04:07:23 PM »
Horse crap.

AH is far easier to manipulate with Game-the-Game stupidity... among other "similar" things.

That's literally the only reason I came here: large scale dogfights in a single arena. You don't get 10 v 10 dogfights in IL2 because the servers are so small. Now, however, even 6 v 6 dogfights are larger than what's in AH most of the time, so it makes sense to move.

And if you think I needed to game the game, lol. I've flown multiple sims at the same level of AH. In fact, AH is probably the sim I'm the least-skilled at.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 05:08:36 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2024, 04:51:24 PM »

You don't HAVE to be OCD to love hardcore sim'ing, but it helps. ;)

Speaking of hardcore, it appears radar blind speed is modeled in DCS. At least for the F-18. No way to know how much of the modeling is the environment or the aircraft. PRF matters!

And since you asked;)

Shameless plug.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 04:59:39 PM by AKIron »
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2024, 05:33:10 PM »

And if you think I needed to game the game, lol. I've flown multiple sims at the same level of AH. In fact, AH is probably the sim I'm the least-skilled at.

You do not seem to have any kind of emotional intelligence, just a mirror where you see Mr. Perfect. Person with normal self esteem and ego, would never declare something like that.

The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2024, 05:36:16 PM »
You do not seem to have any kind of emotional intelligence, just a mirror where you see Mr. Perfect. Person with normal self esteem and ego, would never declare something like that.

That's where you're mistaken; I'm not perfect whatsoever. I have many flaws and mistakes, ergo the irony.

That is the underlying theme here: when an admittedly-flawed and clearly imperfect person can routinely succeed and best others who claim to be experts and "skilled" (lol), that's not a sign of the individual's giftedness; it's a sign of the overall lack of skill and ability of others claiming to be good. And that is where everything I post comes from.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 05:41:12 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2024, 05:38:25 PM »
^ Normal mind would just ignore those claims.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2024, 05:41:38 PM »
^ Normal mind would just ignore those claims.

I'm far too petty to overlook hypocrisy and cognitive dissonance.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...