Author Topic: John Boyd: The Pilot Who Changed the Art of Air Warfare  (Read 239 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
John Boyd: The Pilot Who Changed the Art of Air Warfare
« on: April 21, 2024, 10:45:54 AM »
Before Shaw there was...

You can skip the first 6 min:

https://www.ausairpower.net/JRB/boydaerialattack.pdf
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 11:58:46 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Re: John Boyd: The Pilot Who Changed the Art of Air Warfare
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 10:01:34 AM »
In what I have read (minimal as it is) and heard he is all but unknown yet his energy management is almost held in biblical reverence. Interesting that the AF has benefitted so much from his work yet considered him so little.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 10:10:57 AM »
In what I have read (minimal as it is) and heard he is all but unknown yet his energy management is almost held in biblical reverence. Interesting that the AF has benefitted so much from his work yet considered him so little.

or Billy Mitchell.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 06:25:37 PM »

Not just energy management, but the OODA loop as well. As well as asymmetrical warfare. More Marine Corps personnel attended his funeral than Air Force. He was also an advocate of the F-16 over the F-15.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 09:07:48 PM »
Interesting that the AF has benefitted so much from his work yet considered him so little.

Not being part of the Academy Mafia has it's consequences.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2024, 12:06:55 AM »
This discussion is largely ironic since most players in this game have the exact same views on energy management as the Air Force did when Boyd started his work, lol.

But yeah, Boyd's work was revolutionary. His book is a crucial read if you take ACM seriously.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."