Author Topic: Dweeb shots???  (Read 856 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Dweeb shots???
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2024, 03:17:30 PM »
Do I need a protractor now?

:cheers:

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2024, 03:26:30 PM »

These were fights of you rage-quitting, right? Because you couldn't defend against a front-quarter shot? :D
I rest my case. 29-6. Boring AF.

Spin harder, ego-boi, lofl, "rage quitting" - I simply walked out as you begged and begged for a chance to validate your weego.

I don't do DA for competition or ego; been there, done that - got the formal bracket wins to show for it.  You even? How about the informal ones that were also ran - used to be a subforum for it.

It's amusing watching you flail and scream and pout on your way out.

Fun vs ego.  My legacy > yours.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2024, 03:28:24 PM »

Spin harder, ego-boi, lofl, "rage quitting" - I simply walked out as you begged and begged for a chance to validate your weego.

I don't do DA for competition or ego; been there, done that - got the formal bracket wins to show for it.  You even? How about the informal ones that were also ran - used to be a subforum for it.

It's amusing watching you flail and scream and pout on your way out.

Fun vs ego.  My legacy > yours.

"I used to be good." -- Shane

29 - 6
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2024, 03:52:07 PM »
I wasn't banned for cheating, I was banned for griefing.

Did I get that right? Maybe off with the timing, but pretty sure I saw that admission.  :aok
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2024, 04:07:13 PM »
Simon, Mechanic, and Violator - Do you guys have an opinion on the OP? Skyyr gave his input which I would tend to agree with, however I'm curious at to what you guys may think.

Finally able to get 5 minutes and check these out. This is completely my non biased and objective view of the fights.

1st film I-16 v P51B. - I do not understand how Shane didn't kill you there, was all over Sis and should have easily won. The merge was good. The flat spin at the end was freaking hilarious.

2nd film - In fairness, Shane could have easily drilled you at 1:40 as I don't think you would have been able to get a shot. He held off. Now at the end, seeing as Shane was going about 60mph at the top of the rope as you came down and his nose was pointed away in a total flat stall. I don't presumably consider this a HO and is fair game. If you were both nose on and had E to maintain shooting posture, then it would have been. I don't see Shane as being able to get you nose on there.

Film 3 - I don't see anything here thats outa the norm. This was an unorthodox merge. Anyone would have taken this shot and it didn't even damage shane, and he got the subsequent reverse shot on the back end. Sis technically rolled around him here and got flaps out for a nice shot. Shane could have wiggled the wings to cause a miss. A more powerful P47N is going to be able get around quicker than a P51B which doesn't turn that great to begin with. I would generally put my money on a P47N all day in this fight but I feel Shane could have done more to avoid this shot. Not sure how that can be construed as a weak shot.

:salute

« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 04:11:16 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2024, 05:51:18 PM »
Finally able to get 5 minutes and check these out. This is completely my non biased and objective view of the fights.

1st film I-16 v P51B. - I do not understand how Shane didn't kill you there, was all over Sis and should have easily won. The merge was good. The flat spin at the end was freaking hilarious.

2nd film - In fairness, Shane could have easily drilled you at 1:40 as I don't think you would have been able to get a shot. He held off. Now at the end, seeing as Shane was going about 60mph at the top of the rope as you came down and his nose was pointed away in a total flat stall. I don't presumably consider this a HO and is fair game. If you were both nose on and had E to maintain shooting posture, then it would have been. I don't see Shane as being able to get you nose on there.

Film 3 - I don't see anything here thats outa the norm. This was an unorthodox merge. Anyone would have taken this shot and it didn't even damage shane, and he got the subsequent reverse shot on the back end. Sis technically rolled around him here and got flaps out for a nice shot. Shane could have wiggled the wings to cause a miss. A more powerful P47N is going to be able get around quicker than a P51B which doesn't turn that great to begin with. I would generally put my money on a P47N all day in this fight but I feel Shane could have done more to avoid this shot. Not sure how that can be construed as a weak shot.

:salute

Thanks for that analysis bud. I also agree with you, for the most part. The purpose of this thread was not to brag or claim superiority, merely to see if I was in fact being un-sportsman like in my flying.
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing Machine!

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2024, 07:19:48 PM »
My theory on HOs in dueling in AH is that you should give the HO to your opponent if you are both turning nose on. Ie, you both should try to get nose pointed at nose to acknowledge that a HO could be given and thus "resets" the for the next manuever. This ensures there is no questionable shots, ie, I was pulling off to set up an angle and assumed it would be a HO and therefore no shot should have been attempted. I think players should establish those barriers upon entering the match. I think direct HOs contradict the intended purpose of a duel. Jousting is just too risky and IMO doesn't necessarily constitute skill given all of the variables. Of course the toughest decision to make is do I pull the trigger in this emmilman that I'm already inside them on, knowing that they will get the nose on you. I do believe there is a threshold for that and there should be some determination whether making the shot is just trying to be cheap. There are times in these fights where you are low n slow and coming around and both are lined up for a shot, I don't believe these types of shots should be made as it ruins the concept of the duel and ruins the fight. 
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2024, 07:37:37 AM »
Unless otherwise stated isn't a ho expected on any pass but the first one?

Too difficult to say what isn't a ho between 10 and 2 imo

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2024, 07:54:50 AM »
Unless otherwise stated isn't a ho expected on any pass but the first one? Too difficult to say what isn't a ho between 10 and 2 imo

Eagler

When it's a formal competitive duel, sure...  When you're just having fun, not so much. (that's where you see me say things like, "really" you're taking that shot?" to put the other on notice I'm not there for that.   

How many front quarter shots do you hold in MNM - I hold a lot just because...  Same idea...

That's exactly why I shredded the p47n in a la7 the last fight with stepsis, or whacked down grizz way back when - you want a valid shot, I'll give you one.

And they come with the risk of a mutual collision or ho... I can take those shots or crossing snapshots, prefer not.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2024, 08:11:04 AM »
MNM is great in that respect..

Not much forward of 9/3 are taken in there

I think it's because egos are left at the door of that arena

Too bad MA isn't more like it

Eagler

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2024, 08:25:20 AM »
This is not meant to be a flamebait thread, I'm genuinely curious as to what the community thinks. Are any of these shoots or maneuvers really that underhanded? Have I unwittingly wronged a dear friend of mine? Or perhaps someone is projecting their damaged ego onto others after a set of light hearted Match play fights?

Regardless <S> Shane, I still say you're a good competitor and look forward to all our futures fights to come.

For me the whole thing boils down to what type of fight you are looking for. Some players only want the kills, some players want the fight.

In a fight for "kills", all shots are valid even HOs, because you are fighting for a kill. The first one to kill wins period.

In a fight for "the fight" the point is to work over the other player to force him into a position where he/she is out of options and THEN you kill them. This option I believe takes more skill. Both players are playing chess and are working to get the other player backed into a corner.

So you just have to ask yourself "what kind of fight am I looking for?" Even in the MA its easy to figure out what type of fight the other player is looking for. If the other guy is HOin and picking then they are only in it for KILLS, fight him accordingly, all shots are valid. If they come in and dont fire on a head on/front quarter merge odds are pretty good that want to tangle, fight them accordingly by pushing for that shot where they no longer have an option other than dying. In the DA I would think if you werent going for the quickest kill you'd talk that over before the first flight. Otherwise Im sure that is all you are going to get in there, hence the unwritten rule "no firing on the first merge but after that its on"

I have always preferred the fights where you push a player until they are out of options. That is most likely why I hate HOers and pickers so much. I find that those "chess match" fights are ALWAYS the nailbitting fights that get your heart pounding and you spend 10 minutes in the tower after the fight, win or lose, patting each other on the back while you catch your breath before you can roll again.

So, if dueling talk it out before you roll. In the MA, you have to go more with the flow. Either your going for kills, or your looking for a fight. Its up to you which you call it.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2024, 09:07:29 AM »
MNM is great in that respect.. Not much forward of 9/3 are taken in there.

I think it's because egos are left at the door of that arena - Too bad MA isn't more like it

Eagler

And there you have it.  Fun vs ego.   

And when I say ego, I don't necessarily mean an arrogant projection like some are wont to do, but also in the sense of doing whatever it takes to get the win, or to avoid a loss.

So, yeah, it's about mindsets and communication in the DA. I've had many fun fights with Stepsis but ego seems to be creeping in because they're seeking competition and want to get better and learn some new tricks.  Which is fine, but that changed our prior norm of fun.

tbh, it was the engine toggling on the ta152 that literally gave me a microsecond pause in that engagement as I asked myself, did I just see Stepsis do that? That immediately shifted fun to ego from my perspective.

My motivations aren't there for competitive duels these days, but I'm capable of the occasional display.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2024, 09:10:00 AM »
For me the whole thing boils down to what type of fight you are looking for. Some players only want the kills, some players want the fight.

In a fight for "kills", all shots are valid even HOs, because you are fighting for a kill. The first one to kill wins period.

In a fight for "the fight" the point is to work over the other player to force him into a position where he/she is out of options and THEN you kill them. This option I believe takes more skill. Both players are playing chess and are working to get the other player backed into a corner.

So you just have to ask yourself "what kind of fight am I looking for?" Even in the MA its easy to figure out what type of fight the other player is looking for. If the other guy is HOin and picking then they are only in it for KILLS, fight him accordingly, all shots are valid. If they come in and dont fire on a head on/front quarter merge odds are pretty good that want to tangle, fight them accordingly by pushing for that shot where they no longer have an option other than dying. In the DA I would think if you werent going for the quickest kill you'd talk that over before the first flight. Otherwise Im sure that is all you are going to get in there, hence the unwritten rule "no firing on the first merge but after that its on"

I have always preferred the fights where you push a player until they are out of options. That is most likely why I hate HOers and pickers so much. I find that those "chess match" fights are ALWAYS the nailbitting fights that get your heart pounding and you spend 10 minutes in the tower after the fight, win or lose, patting each other on the back while you catch your breath before you can roll again.

So, if dueling talk it out before you roll. In the MA, you have to go more with the flow. Either your going for kills, or your looking for a fight. Its up to you which you call it.

This is a very good assessment that might provide more clarity to the matter.

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2024, 09:32:46 AM »

Very well said. I got absolutely destroyed in the “kill” category last night (pretty normal). But I had one excellent fight with TheStig and that made the entire night a win. When “fights” finally dry up, I’ll probably be bowing out of AH.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2024, 11:56:00 AM »

So what was your impression of the fights in the OP, "Kill" or "Fight"

Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing Machine!