Author Topic: Question for real pilots  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
Question for real pilots
« on: April 26, 2024, 11:37:04 AM »
I’m not, I wish I would have stuck with it.

Is nose bounce a natural occurrence in RL?

I have to dumb my stick down so much to calm it down that it becomes useless. I’ve had this issue since day 1 (2000) with both sticks I’ve used.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
Re: Question for real pilots
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 11:47:50 AM »
No. Only if you’re over controlling the aircraft or running through turbulence. Scaling is the only way to beat it out of AH.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 11:52:31 AM »
Only if the elevator is out of trim.  Then, a PIO (or nose bounce) can occur.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 11:54:38 AM »
On most aircraft, no. You can get pilot-induced oscillations (PIO) that feel like nose-bounce; but those are uncommon in most prop planes unless it lacks positive stability or is out of trim.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2024, 12:02:52 PM »
Only if the elevator is out of trim.  Then, a PIO (or nose bounce) can occur.
AH has GIO (game induced oscillations). I actually think it’s intentional.

Toggling combat trim in game can help in some cases because you’re fighting combat trim which is constantly changing while you’re changing speeds. But unlike real planes where you can “feel” your plane is out of trim as much as see it, it’s less so in game.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2024, 01:28:06 PM »
AH has GIO (game induced oscillations). I actually think it’s intentional.

Toggling combat trim in game can help in some cases because you’re fighting combat trim which is constantly changing while you’re changing speeds. But unlike real planes where you can “feel” your plane is out of trim as much as see it, it’s less so in game.

Agree, and it’s quite frustrating to have an unrealistic feel built in.  Bad enough with computer lag.  When I’m having an unusually “bumpy” day, trimming nose down and holding the nose in place helps to somewhat alleviate the nose bump issue.

No. Only if you’re over controlling the aircraft or running through turbulence. Scaling is the only way to beat it out of AH.

I’ve tried scaling several times with no real solution for my ham fists.  What’s your favorite scaling?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 01:30:24 PM by Puma44 »

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2024, 01:59:41 PM »
The nose bounce in AH is unlike anything I've ever experienced in over 36 years of flying from light pistons to big radials, light attack jet (not as a military pilot just to be clear) to heavy jet.  I do not recall it in WBs either.   It has long been one of the most annoying and frustrating aspects of the AH FM.

Switching from a MS SW to a VKB mellowed it a little, but it is definitely there.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2024, 02:02:28 PM »
Agree, and it’s quite frustrating to have an unrealistic feel built in.  Bad enough with computer lag.  When I’m having an unusually “bumpy” day, trimming nose down and holding the nose in place helps to somewhat alleviate the nose bump issue.

I’ve tried scaling several times with no real solution for my ham fists.  What’s your favorite scaling?
My scaling has changed over the years and mostly stick dependent. It’s been so long since I’ve messed with it that I can’t give you any real advice. I know there are entire threads about it somewhere on the boards here. I remember my X52 it was probably the best stick I had. It was so accurate all I did was adjust the tiniest bit of deadband. I currently have a tired T16000 and it has spikes which requires more deadband a quite a bit of dampening to counteract the spikes it has. And it still gets me when I’m on the edge of stalls.
~Hub Zemke

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2024, 02:23:21 PM »
I don't think I  get nose bounce with my warthog ... the stick is set to 100% across the board

RL and gamer pilot question..

When you are in a rope climb do you trim?

If so which way(s)?

Thanks Eagler ✌️
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2024, 02:24:46 PM »
I’m not, I wish I would have stuck with it.

Is nose bounce a natural occurrence in RL?

I have to dumb my stick down so much to calm it down that it becomes useless. I’ve had this issue since day 1 (2000) with both sticks I’ve used.

I think I remember Levi stating he never noticed any nose-bounce, at all.  He's the ~only~ player I recall ever making such a statement. I can't remember if it was an in-game chat, here in the forums or VOX.  That said, this was before the Spit-V got nerfed and I didn't have the experience in it to compare.  I figure he was secretly blind and using The Force, but could be he knew something nobody else knew.  JMHO.

I don't think you can beat it... you can only calm it down.  That was my experience because, boy howdy I tried. :old:
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2024, 03:13:04 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Great input.

I used to manually adjust trim years ago. It was a sub-conscience habit of muscle memory.
I’ll need to reprogram some buttons to set a rocker button to do that.

Today I’ve just been toggling CT, which by the sound of it isn’t cutting it. I guess I’ve gotten lazy.

I have a 16 yr old x52 that is seriously worn out. I’ve got scaling, dead bands and dampening about as good as it can be. There is still insane over steering the closer I get to center trying to hold a precise shot. Which makes me lose my eva luvin mind. I’ve even slapped it off the mount so pisssed I missed a sure kill shot.

Maybe it was my trimming yrs ago. I could pick where I wanted to hit the target AC. Today its a spray and pray thing.

The fact mentioned that CT is constantly correcting has got to be it. Makes sense to explain over-steering.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2024, 03:33:54 PM »
I don't think I  get nose bounce with my warthog ... the stick is set to 100% across the board

RL and gamer pilot question..

When you are in a rope climb do you trim?

If so which way(s)?

Thanks Eagler ✌️

I’ll try the 100% on my warthog.

In game, I tend to use flaps for better turn performance and leave trimming to the fight approach when trimming nose down for “bump” dampening.

Ref the RL question, the F-15 has an auto trim system the takes load off the controls wherever the pilot places the stick.  Safe to assume the same with the F-16, and follow on shiny new jets.  In both the F-106 and F-4, there was 3,000 psi hydraulic pressure helping the effort so, no real trimming was needed in a dogfight.  Trim was mostly used in formation air refueling, instrument approaches, etc where a light touch was required.

In the F-4, I was taught in Korea to drop the first notch of flaps when going up in the vertical with full AB selected chasing the other guy.  Then, stay tucked in close in his deep six and force him to keep going vertical, bleeding speed, and trying to see where  I was.  Eventually, his airspeed would be pegged and he would start rolling to see where I was, lose lift, and roll off, nose down in AB to regain flying speed. With my flaps already out, there was more controllable nose authority, allowing me to bring an AIM-9 to bear, and send one (simulated of course) up his tailpipes. 

The F-106 had elevons (no flaps).  So, every approach was a single engine, no flap event.  With the huge delta wing, a “Six” could produce one spectacular bat turn.  Then, it was nose down in full AB to regain speed, which it did expeditiously.  The “ Six” did fast, very well.

Flying Crazy Horse 2 several times, the first notch of flaps produces the best turn rate assistance without bleeding a lot of speed.  The Mustang requires constant manual trim in all three axis as flight conditions change. Definitely flys nicer when trimmed up.

Ahhhhh, such fun memories.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2024, 03:39:00 PM »
I think I remember Levi stating he never noticed any nose-bounce, at all.  He's the ~only~ player I recall ever making such a statement.

I don't get nose bounce.  Very old CH Fighterstick.

- oldman

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2024, 04:25:11 PM »
no nose bounce for me ...old CH FighterStick. I do use a bit of dampening because i used to have trouble with "dont move your controls rapidly".

Overall i have found that a bit of scaling and dampening has improved my issues with pulling on the stick as I fire which was causing mini movements. I have never noticed nose bounce at all though. 

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2024, 04:51:49 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Great input.

I used to manually adjust trim years ago. It was a sub-conscience habit of muscle memory.
I’ll need to reprogram some buttons to set a rocker button to do that.

Today I’ve just been toggling CT, which by the sound of it isn’t cutting it. I guess I’ve gotten lazy.

I have a 16 yr old x52 that is seriously worn out. I’ve got scaling, dead bands and dampening about as good as it can be. There is still insane over steering the closer I get to center trying to hold a precise shot. Which makes me lose my eva luvin mind. I’ve even slapped it off the mount so pisssed I missed a sure kill shot.

Maybe it was my trimming yrs ago. I could pick where I wanted to hit the target AC. Today its a spray and pray thing.

The fact mentioned that CT is constantly correcting has got to be it. Makes sense to explain over-steering.

So crazy that there is one setting for the entire game to cover all the aircraft
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys