Author Topic: Any diesel mechanics in here?  (Read 509 times)

Offline Blinky

• Copper Member
Any diesel mechanics in here?
« on: May 02, 2024, 05:43:27 PM »
Got a problem with a forklift. Just a shot in the dark.
"See, decide, attack, reverse." - Erich Hartmann

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
Re: Any diesel mechanics in here?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 06:06:09 PM »
it's always DEF problem lol jk you don't have to worry about that my freightliner on the other hand..SMH
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 06:16:35 PM »
Definitely a shot in the dark

Offline Blinky

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 06:18:45 PM »
it's always DEF problem lol jk you don't have to worry about that my freightliner on the other hand..SMH

DEF or DPF? Meh, same stuff. Al gore's HONEY pot.  :bhead

Want to clarify, it's a customers machine and I'm a brand new mechanic lol. Wasn't looking for free help on my own machine  :D

Offline Blinky

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2024, 06:23:27 PM »
Definitely a shot in the dark

About like my aim anyway!

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2024, 07:07:07 PM »
Thats when you point them over to the new shiny forklifts in the corner and tell them because you feel for them, you will give them a deal that you cant give to anyone else
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2024, 08:07:36 PM »
I thought they were propane.
What’s a matter with it? 

Offline Blinky

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2024, 08:31:29 PM »
Its an IC forklift. Hydrostatik drive with inching gear / transmission cut-off. It wont take gear. F or R. Good rpms, boost is ok but 100 PSI low, fully serviced. Path to ground is good, F and R relays are good, shifter is good, park brake is good etc etc..

Just wondering if it's gonna be the drive motors / hydraulic pump or if there's something with forklifts / hydrostatik in general OR if everybody is the same in the general with us as **** forklifts  :rolleyes:

Offline Blinky

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2024, 08:32:01 PM »
Thats when you point them over to the new shiny forklifts in the corner and tell them because you feel for them, you will give them a deal that you cant give to anyone else

I don't get paid for sales... yet ;)

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2024, 09:53:47 PM »
Its an IC forklift. Hydrostatik drive with inching gear / transmission cut-off. It wont take gear. F or R. Good rpms, boost is ok but 100 PSI low, fully serviced. Path to ground is good, F and R relays are good, shifter is good, park brake is good etc etc..

Just wondering if it's gonna be the drive motors / hydraulic pump or if there's something with forklifts / hydrostatik in general OR if everybody is the same in the general with us as **** forklifts  :rolleyes:
Do the forks still have up, down, and tilt control? If so the hydraulic pump is still working then. You need to verify that the parking brake is fully releasing allowing the Hydrostatic drive to operate the drive motors. Check the stupid stuff, make sure nothing is blocking the release like a tape ball, rag, and what not. Verify the park brake sensor is functioning correct too. Also make sure the seat belt and the sensor in the seat are working becuase that will also prevent a forklift from moving too.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Blinky

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2024, 10:38:27 PM »
Do the forks still have up, down, and tilt control? If so the hydraulic pump is still working then. You need to verify that the parking brake is fully releasing allowing the Hydrostatic drive to operate the drive motors. Check the stupid stuff, make sure nothing is blocking the release like a tape ball, rag, and what not. Verify the park brake sensor is functioning correct too. Also make sure the seat belt and the sensor in the seat are working becuase that will also prevent a forklift from moving too.

Of all people!! <S> (OFWG)
Mast functions strong, at 90% if I had to guess (not an operator)
I will look into the physical release as it may be near the drive motors, which is a tight fit for my fat ace. However I checked resistance and v from the fuze all the way down to chasis ground via wiring diagram, and everything checks out minus a few already replaced butts. I fear it may be within the harness inside the tubing. It does have electrovalves for F and R which are a bit above me but the relays and connectors are right. With the drive motors and EV park brake its hard to tell if its actually working as it wont free-roll. But according to the juice and relays, everything is good.

PS I did notice it has two pumps, as I'm learning on SLs, they have a tandem and a charge pump. Was curious if it was the same as there are 2 pumps.

Im 6 weeks into the job from barely ever turning a wrench other than basic maintenance lol. Not loving the FLs so far TBH

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2024, 07:57:58 AM »
Do you have a volt meter or power prob?
Lighten up Francis

Offline Blinky

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2024, 08:03:04 AM »
Do you have a volt meter or power prob?

Yep, went all the way down the harness with it

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2024, 08:08:39 AM »
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2024, 08:12:13 AM »
Yep, went all the way down the harness with it
Apply power to the drive motor with your power probe. If it doesn't run, you have a bad drive motor......assuming you did confirm good ground and power going into motor. Confirm with resistance test via voltmeter

Check/test any relays/fuses and switches first

It may just be a faulty relay, so make sure you test those before you buy anything
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 08:19:02 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis