Author Topic: the tech isnt ready.  (Read 303 times)

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
the tech isnt ready.
« on: May 11, 2024, 11:05:32 AM »

not ready for primetime.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Re: the tech isnt ready.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2024, 09:57:52 AM »
There were several tests done like this. One I saw tried to make as close a comparison as possible so they tested a gas F150 and a lightning F150 side by side with identical trailers. The EV failed spectacularly on miles per charge, less than 1/3 the mileage for non loaded / towing.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 11:44:46 AM »
There were several tests done like this. One I saw tried to make as close a comparison as possible so they tested a gas F150 and a lightning F150 side by side with identical trailers. The EV failed spectacularly on miles per charge, less than 1/3 the mileage for non loaded / towing.
The one I watched on the lightning ran out at 75 miles.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2024, 11:54:20 AM »
I am sure campgrounds around the country want to install the charging systems these would need then either swallow or charge for the electricity costs...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 10:57:06 AM »
I have get to see any successful EVs in the wild. Short runs. I see folks drop them off at Bucees and their friend pick them up in a gas car or truck to take them home while it charges.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2024, 09:55:51 AM »
Unless and or until the tech evolves to compete with ICE vehicles on an equal level the EV's will never be able to compete. The battery tech isn't there and the infrastructure to allow easy and convenient long distance also is not there.

IMO until the EV's have their own generator to power the car cleanly (ie mr fusion) it cannot be a viable alternative to ICE vehicles.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2024, 07:29:28 AM »
They are still trying to perfect electric lawnmowers let alone a truck that is used as a truck and not a kids/grocery hauler...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2024, 08:23:00 AM »
One of the most efficient means of transportation is the diesel electric locomotive, so...