Author Topic: Puma44 Please Help This F4 Manual is Overloading My Brain  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
Re: Puma44 Please Help This F4 Manual is Overloading My Brain
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2024, 10:44:04 AM »

If the masses had a say in a vote, you and this would be gone, yesterday. You only have a fan club if other dcs players.

Again, you are under the shallow notion that its just me. No wonder you hate people, its the responses you cause yourself from them is what you really hate.

Standing in that report button? How many times have you stood on that due to your own actions?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 10:48:14 AM by Animl-AW »
Master of the Air Scenario Video
https://youtu.be/rQiA2yMiZf0?si=QZEvHGf1Le0YlaHf

Animl's Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP[/

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2024, 10:47:01 AM »

Sig line.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2024, 10:50:06 AM »

Sig line.

You failed.

“Do as I say, not as I do”

“sigline” translated: “ you nailed it”
Master of the Air Scenario Video
https://youtu.be/rQiA2yMiZf0?si=QZEvHGf1Le0YlaHf

Animl's Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP[/

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2024, 10:53:01 AM »
Sig line.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2024, 01:18:07 PM »
I just set up the front seat and got in some test flights.

took out two migs, one per flight. Was able to land one time out of two attempts.

Thanks, Puma, for putting that in perspective. The noise Heatblur simulates the afterburner kicking in is amazing so I cannot imagine how that was in real life.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2024, 01:29:21 PM »
I just set up the front seat and got in some test flights.

took out two migs, one per flight. Was able to land one time out of two attempts.

Thanks, Puma, for putting that in perspective. The noise Heatblur simulates the afterburner kicking in is amazing so I cannot imagine how that was in real life.

The acceleration when burners are selected doesn’t feel quite as aggressive but, it has been a couple of years.  The Rhino has a “soft” burner light vs the “hard” light of the F-106, meaning the Six produced a significantly loud and instant, window rattling, BOOM when lit.  The Rhino, not so much.  Not the BOOM but, loud enough.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 03:16:58 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2024, 05:05:20 PM »
It's been repeated ad nauseam that we need a DCS Vietnam terrain but it's becoming increasingly needful. Especially with the A-6, A-7, and F-100 on the horizon. Even the F4U Corsair will be welcomed. Campaign developers will have a heyday.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 05:07:21 PM by AKIron »
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2024, 11:52:41 PM »
It's been repeated ad nauseam that we need a DCS Vietnam terrain but it's becoming increasingly needful. Especially with the A-6, A-7, and F-100 on the horizon. Even the F4U Corsair will be welcomed. Campaign developers will have a heyday.

Ahem.  And the F-8.  Shame on you for not mentioning the F-8 (as distant that horizon is). ;)
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2024, 02:54:51 PM »
The acceleration when burners are selected doesn’t feel quite as aggressive but, it has been a couple of years.  The Rhino has a “soft” burner light vs the “hard” light of the F-106, meaning the Six produced a significantly loud and instant, window rattling, BOOM when lit.  The Rhino, not so much.  Not the BOOM but, loud enough.

Puma, When approaching the tanker do you come in level with it or from underneath it?
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2024, 03:11:36 PM »
Puma, When approaching the tanker do you come in level with it or from underneath it?

Approach it level.  Technique I was taught, drive straight at the boom like it’s going to tap you between the eyes.  When it gets scary close, the boomer will fly it around your canopy and up to plug into your receptacle.  All of this is done at a slow, methodical pace.  Ideally, when the two Captain’s bars on the belly of the tanker are illuminated, you’re in the perfect position.  Not sure how DCS does this part.  If the “boomer” doesn’t fly it around your canopy, it may require offsetting and driving in.  Coming up and in from below complicates the process.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2024, 03:36:02 PM »
Approach it level.  Technique I was taught, drive straight at the boom like it’s going to tap you between the eyes.  When it gets scary close, the boomer will fly it around your canopy and up to plug into your receptacle.  All of this is done at a slow, methodical pace.  Ideally, when the two Captain’s bars on the belly of the tanker are illuminated, you’re in the perfect position.  Not sure how DCS does this part.  If the “boomer” doesn’t fly it around your canopy, it may require offsetting and driving in.  Coming up and in from below complicates the process.

Thanks you sir. I was thinking of the level approach

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2024, 04:54:02 PM »
Dive toss bombing versus old school aces high bombing?

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: Yesterday at 10:19:15 AM »
Dive toss bombing versus old school aces high bombing?

Dive toss was a great concept, i.e. using the radar for accurate ranging to the ground target.  The system required a lot of maintaining.  If on any given day, the radar was “glitchy” which was almost a daily occurrence, the crew had to use manual as a backup.  When tuned up properly, dive toss made for very accurate bomb deliveries.  The problem for crew was required semi annual “dive toss training events”.  There was a slew of different training events (commonly referred to as squares) to accomplish every half year.  If a pilot or WSO didn’t have all the squares filled at the end of the half, that was a big deal, resulting in more paperwork.

So, back in the day there was the Great Dive Toss Scandal.  The dive toss system rarely ever worked well enough to be effective, or even come on line during flight.  So, crews were routinely “pencil whipping” completed dive toss events when manual bombing was used for acceptable bomb scoring.  This became a somewhat accepted mode of completing dive toss squares as a result of frustration when dive toss seldom worked properly.  Soon, the problem elevated through the chain of command, and the Great Dive Toss Scandal was born.

Fortunately, this was years before my time in the Rhino.  Dive Toss was an ok system but, when it came down to it, manual bombing was the preferred method, since dive toss would sometimes decide to quit working part way down the chute to bomb release.  One could be fairly confident the bomb was going to come off the jet at the correct time, in manual. 

I imagine in DCS, Dive Toss works perfectly every time.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: Yesterday at 12:01:03 PM »
Amazing to think that only 13 years after WWII a plane would fly that could carry twice the bomb load of a B-17 and do Mach 2 plus.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.