Author Topic: Modeling  (Read 1078 times)

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
Re: Modeling
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2024, 11:49:36 AM »
Very nice Pony Shane   :salute

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2024, 10:18:22 PM »
Acrylics are less health hazardous when brush painting, but when airbrushing it’s not really “non toxic”. In other words yes acrylic paint fumes are safer than enamel and solvent based paints but when atomized with an airbrush you’re going to be inhaling the actual paint not just fumes, which can’t be good for your lungs and your blood stream kidneys etc. Instead of spending a lot of money on a ventilation hood I just wear a respirator regardless of what type of paint spraying.

I gave up on spraying acrylics and switched back to spraying enamel thinned with mineral spirits. In my experience enamel paint is much less problematic and just works, a joy compared to fussing with acrylics. Acrylics are a pain, gotta use this thinner with this brand of acrylic, gotta use a different type of thinner with this other brand of acrylic.. compatibility issues. Enamel paints, spirits is compatible with them all. Enamel doesn’t have the spray pattern issues and needle tip drying or thinner issues causing splotchy coats and toejam. Speaking for myself acrylics were a constant struggle. And when I learned that acrylic isn’t really any safer to breathe I questioned why go through the trouble with acrylic if I got to wear protective equipment anyway. Spraying freehand camo patterns is so much easier with enamel for me anyway, but different strokes for different folks.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2024, 01:01:18 PM »
I hear ya FLOOB, When I got into the hobby I wanted the best paint I could get and at the time everyone was raving about Vallejo water paint. Well it sounded good to me as I have advanced lung disease. I'm still hand-painting. Anyway, I invested big time in Vallejo paints. So I bought a 72-piece military paint set figuring I should have all the colors for Aircraft covered. Wrong! The colors are more suited to armor and figures than anything else. Almost no suitable aircraft colors. Ah but vallejo makes kits of 8 bottles all custom-designed to be necessary for whatever nationality/country you want, They have an RAF kit. US Navy, Allied European theater, Ijn colors and on and on. Wish I would have known about these aircraft mini kits before I bought the 175 dollar useless set that I initially bought. But buyer beware, maybe another day of digging on google would have saved me some money.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2024, 03:44:54 PM »
I can no longer do wittle plastic parts. So I paint big stuff  :aok

nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..