Author Topic: Pimax Crystal Light  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Pimax Crystal Light
« on: August 01, 2024, 06:32:27 PM »
Is anyone using this vr headset in AH?

I think it might require openXR and I didn't think AH supported that

Thanks

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
Re: Pimax Crystal Light
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2024, 12:06:45 PM »
I have used the Pimax Crystal in AH with no problems.  The Crystal Light is the same as the OG Crystal just minus eye-tracking and battery.  Same displays and lenses.  Local dimming is not really needed for AH, but it will make colors a little more vibrant.  I would also recommend the DMAS audio upgrade for the Crystal light.

The Crystal Light is THE best upgrade for the G2.  Better clarity without the small sweet spot of the G2.  Colors are better.  No cable issues like the G2 has.

Hope this helps.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline PropNut

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2024, 09:42:44 PM »
 I'm curious about the Crystal Light in AH myself since I may be giving my G2 to my son.. I might also stretch it out another year though and see what develops in another year.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2024, 05:00:55 AM »
After SNO provided tons of info on the headset and its accessories I have placed an order for one..a preorder of sorts so it isn't instant

Thanks SNO!

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2024, 09:31:34 AM »
let me know how it works out. I got Varjo and it looks really bad in AH, fishbowl all around. I thought it is something about OpenXR but if it works on Crystal, then it should work on varjo as well.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2024, 09:36:23 AM »
let me know how it works out. I got Varjo and it looks really bad in AH, fishbowl all around. I thought it is something about OpenXR but if it works on Crystal, then it should work on varjo as well.

SNO is using the crystal light now in ah

Eagler

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2024, 10:35:35 AM »
I have been using the crystal light in AH for about a month or so and here is my review of it.
I have an I9 1200k, 32mb memory with a Rtx 3080 12gb memory.

I got the crystal light with local dimming, it works real good running at 120mhz. I wear my regular glasses in the headset and I purchased the studio form kit, you can space the headset from your face any distance you need. I had gotten some inserts from HonsVR but they messed them up so I just use my glasses. Overall there is no screen door effect at all it is like looking at your monitor which is awesome, sometimes at a distance the icons are a little blurry but I attrubte that to my glasses and the focal distance of the headset which I am still fine tuning with the studio form kit. For me and with win 11 not going to support wmr this is the perfect replacement. I use steamvr to run AH just like with the G2 and run the per application setting in steamvr at 50% which is on that page says the resoulution is 3048x3608 not sure what it actually is as I hear that is not accurate. The headset was very uncomfortable at first but I got the studio form kit for it and you are able to form the face piece to your face, with the top comfort strap to help support the headset weight off your face. It doesn't weigh much more if at all more than the G2. The stock speakers are a downgrade from the G2 so I am going to get the dmas speakers from pimax for it as well. So $800 for the headset, $100 for the dmas speakers, $25 for top comfort strap and $50 for studio form kit. Under $1000 for awesome headset. I have the leather not the foam facepiece but obviously personal preference. The top comfort strap is nice but I am going to order the one from Pimax as well for ease of adjustability when my grandkids use the headset. https://pimax.com/products/crystal-comfort-topstrap  I am getting the dmas speakers when they are available as well. https://pimax.com/products/dmas-earphone  I purchased the headset with the controllers if the grandkids want to use them, although you don't need them for AH
« Last Edit: August 11, 2024, 10:38:36 AM by SNO »
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2024, 12:29:59 PM »
Thanks for that info SNO!

It sold me

Eagler

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2024, 02:42:36 PM »
Nice write-up SNO.  I have been using the OG Crystal for a year now.  If you have any questions let me know. 

I tried the Pimax top strap, but found it needed a pad to avoid hot spot.  It also pushes out the padding alongside the ear pieces.  I thought the adjust-ability of the top strap was going to be really good, but did not find it much better than the Apache strap.  For me the Studio Forms Apache strap works the best.

I have a couple sets of the HonsVR prescription lenses and have been very happy with them.  If they messed up your lenses, don't hesitate to contact them.  I have found HonsVR to have very good customer service.

I also found the face pad for the Samsung Odyssey Plus fits the Crystal very well, especially if you wear glasses and have a thin face.  Much more comfortable, no light leaks, and easy to clean. 

https://www.amazon.com/VR-Cover-Replacement-Samsung-Odyssey/dp/B07YSKPK2Q/

As far as face pads go.  Most G2 face pads will work with the Crystal as well.

Something else to look into is FFR (Fixed Foveated Rendering).  This works with the G2 and Crystal Light.  In essence it tells the GPU to give you the sharpest image only where your eye can see and everything else is rendered at a lower resolution.  The end result is a performance boost of 20 to 30% without any noticeable loss of clarity.  First time I used it I did not think it was working, as I noticed no visual difference.  Then I looked at my FPS and noticed a marked increase.  I was then able to crank up my resolution to make things even clearer without bringing my GPU to its knees.  The wiki mentions it working with SteamVR, but I have not tried it.  Here is more info on it (read down a little bit and it discusses the G2 and Crystal light):

https://github.com/mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated/wiki

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2024, 03:16:42 PM by edge12674 »

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2024, 12:48:09 PM »
SNO,

Great info and sounds like a solid headset.  Thanks for passing your experience along.  Any interaction or feedback on customer support?  Not attempting to compare with my atrocious hp G2 experience, at all.  I’m learning more and more, if customer service is solid, the product is equally so.

Thanks again!

CHECK SIX!

PUMA

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2024, 12:54:23 PM »
Haven’t had any interactions with customer support so not sure.
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2024, 01:33:21 PM »
As an early adopter of the Pimax Crystal, I have had several interactions with Pimax support staff.  Only two issues I had were a loose connection on the "power hub" and a broken battery clip.  Both items were replaced immediately with no hassle.  Also had some interaction with regards to software features.  Again, Pimax staff responded quickly and was helpful.

This was my first Pimax product and I was a little apprehensive due to the poor ratings Pimax customer support had prior to the release of the Crystal.  Been pretty happy with the company and product.

Hope this helps

TShark

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2024, 01:39:31 PM »
Thanks for the info Tshark!

You were the one that 1st got me interested in the pimax

Hoping it allows me to enjoy dcs more

Eagler

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2024, 02:09:34 PM »
May be something I can look into in the future...I don't have as much of an issue with VR in AH due to icons, but in IL2 I'm at quite the disadvantage ID'ing planes without icons with a Quest 2. It's not until close in that I can tell what the type is.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2024, 09:16:02 AM »
While waiting for my pre-ordered headset to ship, reading up on it I got the impression my graphics card was on the lower end of its specs..

I am now waiting on a 4070 ti super gigabyte "Eagle" card with 16GB to be delivered this afternoon!

If it works out I should have a 3070 ti 8GB card up for sale soon..I will post that card here before it goes to ebay

Eagler