Author Topic: Connection Lost  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
Re: Connection Lost
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2024, 12:23:53 PM »
We have huge amounts of people moving here from other states. California, Virginia, Carolinas, etc.

A lot of my friends from IN moved there in the 80s to work in the oil industry, among other things. Many friends from AW and AH there.

Been there several times. Worked in San Antonio in the arena, had a killer time. Isually good people there, was always treated well.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2024, 12:26:04 PM »
Texas has a more dependable power grid, than most of the other states, just saying. :neener:

No true. It may be now, but not in recent past. They refused maintenance which brought quality down. Glad they fixed it, it was harsh to watch on tv.

In NW IN only time we lose power is when lightning hits a transformer.

My long gone now mint condition. 79 i528 bmw, made in Germany, came from Huston area.  Drove that beast for 14 yrs.

Ya, I’m a grown mature adult, I live outside sims too, I drink cocktails like most here, except you obviously drink way more than I do. The hypocrites who act like its some form devil worship drink more than me. Ya just can’t stand that others do as you do. I’ve even been known to be in bar fights. Ya, this us real life, dweeble. Damn right
« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 12:42:46 PM by Animl-AW »

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2024, 12:35:30 PM »
No disrespect intended, but your off in left field. Must be getting your info from CNN or MSNBC. I lived through it, we never lost power during that storm, now some did. The biggest headache we have here in Texas with the power grid, is the stinking progressives trying make all new development All Electric. Natural Gas is still the best heating source, second to none.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2024, 12:44:48 PM »
Texas has a more dependable power grid, than most of the other states, just saying. :neener:
I’ve lost my power more in Texas and for longer durations than in the last three years than the previous thirty in various other states combined. Spent over a week without power last month and that isn’t a new development. As far as I’m concerned, the grid is trash. Thunder? Power is out. Too hot? Power is out. Too cold? Power is out. Sneeze? Power is out.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2024, 12:45:33 PM »
No disrespect intended, but your off in left field. Must be getting your info from CNN or MSNBC. I lived through it, we never lost power during that storm, now some did. The biggest headache we have here in Texas with the power grid, is the stinking progressives trying make all new development All Electric. Natural Gas is still the best heating source, second to none.

Depends where you’re located. I post links to TX newspapers. It was seen nationwide. Much aid was sent. <shrug> dunno what else to say, the i fo came from your state, it was televised. I do beleive AH recently went down due to power ussues.<shrug> no offense taken.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 12:50:07 PM by Animl-AW »

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2024, 12:46:23 PM »
I’ve lost my power more in Texas and for longer durations than in the last three years than the previous thirty in various other states combined. Spent over a week without power last month and that isn’t a new development. As far as I’m concerned, the grid is trash. Thunder? Power is out. Too hot? Power is out. Too cold? Power is out. Sneeze? Power is out.

Thank you

Too much pride to acknowledge it I guess.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 12:49:07 PM by Animl-AW »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2024, 01:05:45 PM »

Where in Texas do you live?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2024, 01:08:09 PM »
Power issues around Houston due to recent hurricane. Interestingly there were some people out actually assaulting restoration crews. Can you believe that?

« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 01:11:42 PM by AKIron »

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2024, 02:24:23 PM »
I live in Garland Tx, a suburb of Dallas. Not saying we don't have power outages. But to suggest that Texas has the worst Power grind in the nation, is asinine. :devil
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2024, 02:25:42 PM »
Power issues around Houston due to recent hurricane. Interestingly there were some people out actually assaulting restoration crews. Can you believe that?

Unfortunately I do believe it. People have seriously scraped the bottom of the barrel on attitude and wacky distorted belief systems, lashing out at everything and everyone based on myth. I don’t see any signs of it getting better, way over hyped has been normalized.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2024, 02:36:15 PM »
I live in Garland Tx, a suburb of Dallas. Not saying we don't have power outages. But to suggest that Texas has the worst Power grind in the nation, is asinine. :devil

I don’t think i ever said that, but to say the opposite as best in country is questionable too. That's not how the convo started. They simply didn’t maintain it and update it properly as recommended. End result people suffered and died when it shut down in cold weather. One person and hud team holds that blame.

The convo was about others nit conditioned for that kind of heat crying, and dying, calling them p*****, was out of line. They didn’t fair well in the cold because in tx they are not conditioned to it. Everyone outside tx is not a p*****. Pure myth from tx pride. If reality offends people lynch me. <shrug>

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2024, 02:38:32 PM »

People were really stupid. But I can understand it because the frustration levels were high. I came really close to getting in a fight with a guy at a gas station because he thought I cut in line. I was there to fill up the gas cans for my generator (something I’ve never needed until I moved here). I don’t think he had a weapon or I believe he would’ve threatened me with it. He was that furious and it was only the first evening without power. I just dropped $500 on a transfer switch so I don’t have to run extension chords through my house every time to power goes out for over 2 hours. I’m also considering upgrading my generator so it’ll push everything in the house because sleeping in 100 degree heat kinda sucks and unpacking a window unit is a pain. I finally broke down and bought the generator because, during that winter storm, we had rolling blackouts because the grid isn’t robust enough to handle low temperatures. They turned off my power long enough to cause my pipes to freeze and destroy 1/2 the sheetrock in my garage. Meanwhile the shopping center a block away had power while people literally froze in their houses. Those aren’t the only two instances that the grid failed for an extended time. Before that, I had to toss everything in my fridge (twice) before I got the generator. These aren’t little blips where you have to reset clocks. They’re outages for hours or days.

I’ve spent close to $5000 out of pocket (generator, sheet rock, plumbing, food, upgrades) because of the grid here. I never experienced anything this bad in the multitude of states I’ve lived. Maybe it’s just a Houston thing but we’re all seeing how “great” the TX grid is whenever a big storm blows over Dale’s house. TX might not have the worst grid and it may just be a local anomaly. But it’s the worst I’ve personally experienced and I’ve rode out hurricanes in Florida.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2024, 03:08:07 PM »
Live in Lake Jackson Texas, grid is a damn joke. Before the hurricane we already had issues like LilMak said, it to hot, it's to cold there goes the power. Frog farted, get the generator out. The most common thread on our neighborhood facebook page is "Is anyone else power out", any random bellybutton day of the week.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2024, 03:11:00 PM »
I've lived in 14 states and been to almost all the rest. I was born and raised in Dallas but have lived in other parts of Texas including Pasadena in the '60s for a couple of years. You live out in the sticks anywhere power is going to be more susceptible to the weather. The parts of Texas I've lived in have all had reliable power.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2024, 03:20:36 PM »
Idaho has pretty cheap electricity. Texas is higher but not bad. Other factors made them comparable in cost of living years back. Not now with real estate having sky rocketed in Idaho.